Havanese Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
Does anyone incorporate a plaque spray into their dog’s dental routine? If so, what product do you use? What frequency? Last but not least, what have your results been?
Idid for a while, saw NO difference, so didn’t keep it up. The only thing, other than brushing, that I am sure makes a difference is Plaque-Off. This was recommended to me by Kodi’s breeder, 13 years ago, and my dogs have been on it ever since. It will not remove plaque, but it does prevent plaque build-up.

The only caveat is that it is kelp based, and kelp is high in iodine. So some people feel it sould not be used in dogs with thyroid problems. My vet feels, however, that for dogs who do not have known thyroid problems, the minute dose is fine for them.

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
Does anyone incorporate a plaque spray into their dog’s dental routine? If so, what product do you use? What frequency? Last but not least, what have your results been?
I've used a few different products in the past that supposedly help prevent plaque. The dental office gave me a sample of OraVet gel which is a sealant barrier to prevent bacteria from building up. It lasts two weeks, but I do daily brushing. I only used it once when we had a pet sitter and knew the teeth would not be brushed. I was also given a sample of OraVet chews. I think they would be helpful, but Scout and Truffles didn't care for them. When Truffles had her last cleaning the dentist said to be sure and restart brushing after 48 hours because bacteria will start the beginning of plaque formation.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
I've used a few different products in the past that supposedly help prevent plaque. The dental office gave me a sample of OraVet gel which is a sealant barrier to prevent bacteria from building up. It lasts two weeks, but I do daily brushing. I only used it once when we had a pet sitter and knew the teeth would not be brushed. I was also given a sample of OraVet chews. I think they would be helpful, but Scout and Truffles didn't care for them. When Truffles had her last cleaning the dentist said to be sure and restart brushing after 48 hours because bacteria will start the beginning of plaque formation.
THat's what I tried with my dogs, and honestly saw no difference.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Idid for a while, saw NO difference, so didn’t keep it up. The only thing, other than brushing, that I am sure makes a difference is Plaque-Off. This was recommended to me by Kodi’s breeder, 13 years ago, and my dogs have been on it ever since. It will not remove plaque, but it does prevent plaque build-up.

The only caveat is that it is kelp based, and kelp is high in iodine. So some people feel it sould not be used in dogs with thyroid problems. My vet feels, however, that for dogs who do not have known thyroid problems, the minute dose is fine for them.
Is it prescription or OTC?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I started out brushing Sundance’s teeth and he was cooperative but he stopped tolerating it after he had papillomas for about a month. Since then I’ve tried many things (sprays and drops) and none of them seem to do anything compared to brushing. The only difference I notice is one water additive I reluctantly started using helps with breath, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference with plaque. I use enzymatic toothpaste on a toothbrush to apply it wherever it lands in his mouth, but I don’t really brush it around. I’ve tried working up to more brushing but this seems to be as good as I can get without taking more physical control, and I’m not really comfortable I can do that safely without some practice and guidance.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,464 Posts
I have been brushing both dogs teeth with a piece of fine cheesecloth dampened with water. It is well tolerated and appears to be effective. It has a slight abrasiveness to it but still gentle. I could never get brushes to work. They do not mind it at all so I can brush twice a day no problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts