Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Sharlene
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story made short. Bentley will be having the tip of his ear surgically removed tomorrow. When I was combing him out Tuesday night he winched when I combed his ear. I thought it was a matt. As I was feeling around I felt a rock-hard area. I probed and pulled the hair apart and I could not see anything. He had a grooming appointment the next morning and I asked the groomer if she could look at the area when his hair was wet. She thought it looked like a slit or ?? perhaps bitten but the hardened area was worrisome. I took him to the vet that afternoon and what she surmised was that somehow I got his ear caught in his top knot and it cut off the blood supply to his ear and the tissue necrosed (died). I have really beaten myself up over this but resolved myself to the fact that if this is what truly happened, it was a very unfortunate accident that I certainly never intended to happen.

When I look at the section of ear involved and a shared opinion among others, I find it very difficult to understand how this is even possible. Regardless of what happened, when, how and why, the tip of ear has to be amputated. But it will definitely make me much more aware when I put in his top-knot to recheck and double check that it is only hair I have.

The surgery will be done by laser and another laser therapy treatment following. She expects him to have minimal discomfort and a speedy recovery. Once he is healed and the hair grows back, we will never even know anything happened.

Please be thinking of my little guy and prayers are always appreciated.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
:hug:Bentley and Sharlene:hug:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Oh Sharlene, I'm so sorry about Bentley. I really don't see how it could have been in his topknot, either, if it was on his ear leather - otherwise it would have been pulled up and you would have seen it. Since the vet doesn't really know for sure what caused it, please don't beat yourself up. It is just one of those crazy things that happen - you are definitely a good mommy and I'm sure Evye and Bentley would agree! I'll be praying for the sweet boy tomorrow - and his mommy!

·
Jenn
334 Posts
Praying for Bentley's speedy recovery:hug: Sharlene~Everything will be okay and I am not so sure the whole "ear caught in the topknot" idea flies with me either. No matter what happened, much love to you and Bentley!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I will be thinking of Bentley and you tomorrow also. Please let us know how he is doing. Again, don't beat yourself up over this. Like the others have said, I have a hard time picturing this happening when his hair was put in a topknot.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Poor lil guy! I'm sure everything will be fine...hopefully very little pain for him. The topknot thing sounds suspicious. You haven't been tying his ears into a topknot, have you? I mean, I guess anything is possible, but I don't know how the tip of his ear could be affected by a topknot. In any event, sending healing thoughts to your little man.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just know you & Bentley will be in our thoughts and sending healing wishes to Bentley tomorrow. Please let us know how things go.

I like the others don't see how the ears could have gotten put up in the top knot so don't blame yourself. And remember accidents happen to the best "mommies and their fur kids".

Hugs
Pat (humom to
Miss Paige
Mr Roman
Ms Frannie

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hugs and belly rubs to Bentley tomorrow. . . and little prayers for you both. :hug:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Poor baby. He'll be good as new before you know it. :hug:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Poor Bentley!

My three and I will all keep you in our thoughts and prayers tomorrow. :hug:

As for the topknot theory - I don't buy that for a minute. Even if you did catch his ear in a topknot (which doesn't make any sense to me - you would have definitely noticed that!) it would have to stay that way for a while to have any lasting impact.

Not to gross you out or give too much detail, so stop reading if you have a weak stomach. I will make this a family friendly as possible, but still... :)

I grew up on a farm/ranch. We had sheep, among other things. To "fix" the guys who were not used for breeding, we would "band" their little boy parts. That's exactly what it sounds like, we literally placed a band at the base of their penis, at the top of their scrotum. The band would cut off circulation, and eventually the sac will die and literally just fall off. No blood, minimal pain (not really pain, just some discomfort for a day or two when the band is placed), it's a very humane way to do this.

The thing is, when you band a ram, it takes anywhere from 10 days (on the fast side) to like 3 weeks (on the slow side) for the process to be complete. If you're monitoring the process, it takes 5 or 6 days before you start to see any change at all. So it takes that long for the area to BEGIN to die.

So unless you had Bentley's ear caught in a REALLY TIGHT topnot that you didn't change for like 3 or 4 days, the probability of this being the cause is next to none.

Geesh, DH is right, I am about the most long-winded person I know! :pound:

I just don't want you to feel guilty over this, and I wanted to explain why. I hope that helps!

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
OK I have some terrible images in my head about those poor rams!

Sharlene I hope all goes well with Bentley. I can't for a minute think you caught his ear in his topknot. I'm sure even if you did--and you didn't, he would've pulled it out! Did the vet mention anything about an aural hematoma? Sometimes dogs with floppy ears get them. I guess it can be caused when they shake their heads or something. I ws reading a grooming board and the groomers can have problems with hematomas developing when they have to shave a severely matted dog. When they shave he ears and the dog shakes they can get swelling and the ear tips can split open and bleed. :( I KNOW Bentley was never matted like that, but I wonder if he could've gotton one just from shaking? Anyways, I think that would be a more likely thing than the topknot theory. I'll be thinking of you and Bentley.

·
My Dogs Mom
3,476 Posts
Sharleen, as you know, I don't buy the topknot theory at all. Are they going to biopsy the lesion?

All paws are crossed and prayer are being sent up for Bentley to have a very easy surgery. You need to have some Bloody Mary's in the morning because I'm sure this will be a lot harder on you than your baby boy.

hugs and xxoox

·
Pepper's mom
1,329 Posts
Poor Bentley! He will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. I hope all goes well and that he has a speedy recovery.

I agree with the rest, I find it unlikely that the injury was actually caused by a top knot mishap. A biopsy is a good idea.

Sending you both positive energy and good thoughts!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts