Havanese Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

· Dave T
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
yep. Thanks Kathie.

· Registered
2 Posts
I need a good non toxic flea and tick product. I live in a wooded area and have had bad luck with Advantage in the past. My vet sells Vectra 3d . I have read all the safety precautions and documentation from the manufacturer. The claims are the product is safe and effective. Does anyone from Long Island, NY or any other wooded community in the Northeast have any information or recommendations? I am afraid of his getting Lyme disease but wary of the chemicals in this product.

· Registered
2 Posts
Help with growling and biting!

:(My year old Havanese male began to growl when he was less than 7 months old. We ignored it and assumed it was his way of communicating since he is not a verbal dog. However, he growls alot and last night he bit my adult daughter when she attempted to remove a paper towel from his mouth. He has never bitten me, the owner, but growls at my daugher who also loves home with us. I called his breeder because I was very upset and she told us to correct the growling when he does it by pulling the scuff of his neck and yelling "no growl" i am not sure if he meant to bite my daughter because she had a cord in her other hand when she attempted to pull the paper from his mouth and MAY HAVE inadvertently hit against him with the cord. However, he DID BITE which has us extremely upset. We scolded him and put him in his cage as a time out but he looked as if he didn't know why he was being punished. In the past when he is scolded (for a defecation accident) he would put his heaed down and hide. He did neither which led us to believe it was an acciedent and he felt threatened so he bit but the fact remains HE STILL BIT!!!! please tell us what to do. I would hate to think he's a biter and would bite others.

· Dave T
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
:(My year old Havanese male began to growl when he was less than 7 months old. We ignored it and assumed it was his way of communicating since he is not a verbal dog. However, he growls alot and last night he bit my adult daughter when she attempted to remove a paper towel from his mouth. He has never bitten me, the owner, but growls at my daugher who also loves home with us. I called his breeder because I was very upset and she told us to correct the growling when he does it by pulling the scuff of his neck and yelling "no growl" i am not sure if he meant to bite my daughter because she had a cord in her other hand when she attempted to pull the paper from his mouth and MAY HAVE inadvertently hit against him with the cord. However, he DID BITE which has us extremely upset. We scolded him and put him in his cage as a time out but he looked as if he didn't know why he was being punished. In the past when he is scolded (for a defecation accident) he would put his heaed down and hide. He did neither which led us to believe it was an acciedent and he felt threatened so he bit but the fact remains HE STILL BIT!!!! please tell us what to do. I would hate to think he's a biter and would bite others.
hello and welcome. Just wondering why you are posting on this thread. You have taken the wrong approach to this totally. Growls are a dogs warning system. You don't want to punish it in any way. The idea is to train your dog to drop things voluntarily. I don't recommend taking anything out of a dogs mouth, unless it is an emergency. Once your dog has bitten , it is time to get professional help. Your breader's advice is totally WRONG and will only make things worse. I strongly suggest getting some help from a qualified trainer . If you want help finding one, let me know. I will be back with a couple of articles in a minute. here's one article http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/why-growl-good
and here's another article. http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/obey-thy-dog

· Dave T
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Linda, unless it was a bitter almond I wouldn't worry.

· LINDA
6,442 Posts
Thanks Dave. I don't know what possessed me to give him an almond. Maybe it was those big round Scuddy eyes:) I had no idea they were poisonous.....obviously! I called the vet. He said Scudder should be ok. Phew. It was not a bitter almond, whatever that is. Just a plain old Planters almond. Thanks for posting this Dave. It's good to look over the list every so often!!!!!

· Dave T
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks Dave. I don't know what possessed me to give him an almond. Maybe it was those big round Scuddy eyes:) I had no idea they were poisonous.....obviously! I called the vet. He said Scudder should be ok. Phew. It was not a bitter almond, whatever that is. Just a plain old Planters almond. Thanks for posting this Dave. It's good to look over the list every so often!!!!!
yeah paste it on the fridge. LOL> yeah bitter almonds are more the culprit and they're not that common.

· Tori's mom
4,986 Posts
We had a bit of a scare w/Tori last week. She got a hold of a small piece of onion and gulped it down before I even realized what was happening. My DGS had picked a piece out of his meal and left it on the table. It fell to the floor, along w/a piece of chicken gristle and she snapped it up so fast I didn't even have time to give the "leave it" command. I think she knew what was going to happen and was poised to take advantage of the situation. Thank goodness, the onion had no effect on her whatsoever. Phew!

ETA~ So glad Scudder's ok, too :)

· Registered
6,252 Posts
We had a bit of a scare w/Tori last week. She got a hold of a small piece of onion and gulped it down before I even realized what was happening. My DGS had picked a piece out of his meal and left it on the table. It fell to the floor, along w/a piece of chicken gristle and she snapped it up so fast I didn't even have time to give the "leave it" command. I think she knew what was going to happen and was poised to take advantage of the situation. Thank goodness, the onion had no effect on her whatsoever. Phew!

ETA~ So glad Scudder's ok, too :)
:grouphug:Glad to hear Tori and Scudder are OK!! :whoo:

· Tori's mom
4,986 Posts
Sally~ As soon as I realized what Tori had eaten, all I could think of was Oliver's experience eating onion :( I was so worried. It was red onion and I wonder if that made any difference???

· Dave T
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Are you saying he did , or if he does? Get to the vet.

· Registered
117 Posts
Mmm... i am confused with the peanuts being toxic since peanut butter is a common ingredient in doggy treats. I even used to stuff her kong with it. Not to mention she sometimes catches a few peanuts while i am making my parfaits :p
Are cucumbers acceptable?

· Dave T
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
peanuts, aren't toxic, just not recommended. peanut butter is fine. Macedamian nuts are toxic and bitter almonds. Re, cucumbers, if they're not on the list , they're alright.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.