Havanese Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone mentioned how poisonous sorbitol is to dogs? My vet says that diet gum left in pocket of jeans cause a lot of problem when dogs get into it. I also recently saw some "nutritional supplement" for sale on some pet site that contained sorbitol. I couldn't believe it. Read the labels, people!

· Dave T
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Has anyone mentioned how poisonous sorbitol is to dogs? My vet says that diet gum left in pocket of jeans cause a lot of problem when dogs get into it. I also recently saw some "nutritional supplement" for sale on some pet site that contained sorbitol. I couldn't believe it. Read the labels, people!
Hi Phyllis, I know Xylitol is on the list. Do you have an article to confirm it.?

· Dave T
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

· Registered
34 Posts
While not as deadly as xylitol, it can cause problems and should not be considered "safe".
See below:

Sorbitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including sugar-free foods and medications for humans. Due to sorbitol's laxative properties, diarrhea can occur if your dog consumes products containing this artificial sweetener. Sorbitol may aggravate irritable bowel syndrome and similar gastrointestinal conditions, resulting in severe abdominal pain and gas, even if your dog consumes only small amounts. Store products that are not meant for dogs out of their reach.

Read more: The Effects of Sorbitol Chewing Gum on Dogs | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6577243_effects-sorbitol-chewing-gum-dogs.html#ixzz1jrg8BQF4

· Dave T
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
yeah it probably isn't that good for dogs. This whole artificial sweetener thing is scary. Yep, turkey skin is not good.

· havilove
404 Posts
I am glad to have found this thread. Last week I had a scare. We were in Florida, and I was alone in the RV, and gabby was sitting chomping on something. I went to see what she had, and she had found a two pack of Doans back ache pills, and had them open, and chewing. I found the pkg, and one and a half of the pills. I was freaking out, and calling hubby to come get me and take me to a vet, meantime, calling around trying to find one in an area that I wasnt familiar with. By the time hubby got there, I found the other half of the missing pill. So, she didnt get anything other than maybe a little of powder off from putting it in her mouth. I am not for sure how bad they are. I was wondering if any of you have ever had to make your dog throw up, and how do you do it? Is that the best thing to do when they get into something? Wondering if there is something I should keep with me, just in case. Thanks

· Dave T
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
yeah that's a great site. I compiled this from that one and two others. Geeze yeah , watch out for prescription drugs. My wife is on a dozen of them. And just one of the wrong type can kill a dog. Some things listed are alright in small quantities eg. garlic., milk chocolate but no chocolate is my goal. Almonds, are actually alright except for bitter almonds which are not common.

· Dave T
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I sure hope almonds are okay ... LOL TIllie gets 8 ground almonds per week per Sabine's instructions!!! :)
oh yeah, it actually was Sabine that told me about the bitter almonds being the bad ones. good for humans too. What a lucky dog. One of these days LOL

· Dave T
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
what about frozen veg. like frozen cut green beans or fr.peas. or home-made pasta?
|What's your question Sheila.? These are not toxic.

· Registered
51 Posts
Hi,lol?I know i was trying to rack my brain on why my Tashi girl was so sick?but brought her home today and it i guess was not what she ate but what she caught?a bad Virus-the flu-?But my Moxie girl has Liver shunt and i had read once some where that peas were not good for liver problems?I going to try and check it out and maybe check to see if i saved the info some wheres?But some foods i guess that are good for some dogs are not good for some dogs with Living with health issues?oh i am with out sleep from being up with my Tashi.so i might not be making any sense??I had tried to delete it and rewrite but could not figure out how to delete?or it would not let me?

· Dave T
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
That's OK Sheila, we all have our moments. To make changes once you've posted, just go to edit, make the changes and then click save.

· Registered
216 Posts
If I check out the generic lists (for all dogs) of foods to avoid, does that about cover it? Or are there foods that Havanese are sensitive to that may not be on a generic list for all dogs?

Thanks
Jeff

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
Havanese are no different than other dogs in terms of food toxicity.

· Premium Member
4,633 Posts
Dangerous Foods For Dogs To Eat

Alcohol ,Avocados Baking Soda (Leavening Agents) Bones (Cooked vs. Raw) Caffeine Chocolate Corn on the Cob
Fatty Foods Garlic Grapes Hops Moldy or Spoiled Foods Mushrooms Nuts - Macadamias, Almonds, Walnuts
Nutmeg Onions Pits and Seeds of Fruits Potato Peelings and Green Potatoes Raisins Raw Eggs Raw Fish
Rawhide Dog Bones Raw Pork, Rhubarb Salt Sweeteners - Artificial Tobacco Tomatoes Xylitol Sugar Substitute, Yeast Dough (Raw )
This is a great post but there are a few things I am surprised about. Now, my corgi, Foxy, absolutely loved tomatoes. We used to actually give her tomatoes as a treat. Am I mistaken about tomatoes?

Raw eggs? I thought raw eggs would be good as long as they were without the shell. Or is it the same concern with dogs as with humans about raw eggs (salmonella)?

I'm assuming that no corn on the cob because they may ingest the cob. Corn would be ok though, wouldn't it?

Now, I wouldn't think salt would be good, but I've seen homemade dog treat recipes that call for a small amount of salt (I omit it though).

Thanks, Dave, for this post.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.