Havanese Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I can't stand for poop to be in the yard. SO...it must be scooped. When you scoop it, you have to put it somewhere. The poo in a plastic bag in the garbage is just too gross. We live on a ranch, so we have lots of places to dispose of poo, but then you have to put it in something and take it somewhere. gag
My question is...do any of you use the septic type disposal systems like Doggy Dooley or something similar?
Do they work well? Any other suggestions?
Dawna
poo is not my friend:(

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
You could always pick it up with t.p. and take it indoors and toss it in the toilet. :p

I don't have one of those doggy septic systems, but they do sound intriguing. I have a small covered (flip lid) poop bucket in the back that I keep lined with a plastic bag. It goes into the garbage can on garbage pick-up day.

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
Kimberly,
That's a good idea to just have it's own little garbage can.I've been scooping it and tossing it by what seems like enormous scoopfuls into the garbage bag,but then it's lose and can spill out...gross!I like your idea and I think I will do that.It would be especially handy if it was sized to hold those Walmart handle bags.......hmm...:rolleyes:
Thanks for the idea....with 2 dogs we have alot of poo!!!:p

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I try to flush it down the toilet whenever possible. There's a whole lot of discussion on Long Island about putting it in the trash, If it doesn't get disposed of properly it can seep into our ground water - not good. But when it accumulates under ice and snow, it gets to be a little much to flush :eek:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I try to flush whenever possible but sometimes it just builds up. Yuck. It would be interesting to hear about a doggie septic system.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eww, I don't want to put in the toilet!
Melissa, we don't even have a Starbucks. You know we ain't gonna have a dog poo pick up service. HA

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
I use the plastic covers from the newspaper...I stick my hand into it and pick up the poo. Sometimes I bring it in and flush it but most days I throw it in my flower bed.....great fertilizer!:rolleyes: Vicki

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
Good question !! When we had our German shorthair we had lots of the stuff .
I tried the flushing thing - it was a lot to flush . We would pick it up and put in a bag and the gardener would take it away for us . Don't ask . I do not know where it went.
Right now it is a challenge as we have indoor potty and out door - The outdoor need to be scooped and put in a poop bag - I use glad scented trash bags for poop only . We also have indoor wee wee or pottie pads that need to be dosposed of as since we had the neutering surgery , We do not always do it outside .Pottie training is still a work in progress .I put the pads in scented trash bags and put it in the garbage . I figure it is the same as pampers ..
Hope fully we will get on track soon and just do it all outside.
? What do you do with your walk poop bags - that is also a sensitive question . I hate putting them in the local trash cans as I do not think people like to smell it . It:) is not fun taking it home in your car.
One training book said make sure they poop before you leave . I am not so lucky to have totally poop on command as yet ..
Melissa we are just getting the poop disposal people here . Most people where I live love their big dogs. They outnumber the little ones by far ..

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
We have "the poop people" here, but it is costly to do it. And putting itin the flower beds is not an option, because they dig it up and eat it. Maybe the septic tank type would work better? Have to look into it.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
we do a little covered trash can that all the walk poops go into. if they go in their indoor rooms it get's flushed with toilet paper.

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
http://www.poopbutler.com/states.php?state=37

They list states at the bottom of that page w/ poo removal services.

Sorry Dawna, no Ada. One day you will have a Starbucks and a Bye Bye Poo Poo Inc. I promise!

AND wooohooo look what I found. Flushable bags. So you dont have to throw them away in your house when you go for a walk. These will come in handy. Also good for when you are in a hotel.
http://www.handicappedpets.com/acc/flush/

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Melissa, I love the flushable poop bags- what a great concept.

for all you puppy owners who have to dispose of pee pads- what I found worked really well was to get a metal covered trash can with a foot pedal and before I put the bag in I put lavender sashe's in - they are actually dryer pouches I get at trader joes. keeps the odor down.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
We use the blue scented poop bags from petedge. They come ina box of 100. When they go outside, we just scoop it up (but putting the bag inside out) , sometimes if they all go at once, they all go in the same bag. we tie it closed & put it in the outdoor garbage can. The only time we have an issue with that is when it gets to be 95 - 100 degrees (which is not often) and we just move the garbage can to a different (non person occupied area) of the back yard. They are cheap, you dont get dirt and seems to work for us.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
well gee, Is there something wrong with burying it? :eek: I've always just dug a hole in the yard and buried the poo. I remember growing up that my parents bought that Doggie Dooley and weren't very impressed. It just looked like a hole dug in the yard with a lid over it to me!

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
I see they sell that septic system in the PetEdge catalog,but do not know of anyone with one.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
We have an auger for digging post holes for fence (horse farm). I used to dig several holes, pooper scoop, dump in hole, kick some dirt in. We have plenty of land though.

Now that we have the dog room, I built a storage closet in there that has a 3.5 gallon flush toilet dedicated to dog poop. That's the best solution. A hose on the dog veranda cleans the skid marks out of the scoop into the horse pasture. Pooper scoop. No bending over. No dirty hands.

When we have females separated in the house-they have another dog yard- or a litter of puppies it gets flushed in another bathroom.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We have a post hole auger. I kinda like that idea. Use a hole for awhile, fill it in, dig a new hole.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts