Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Barney's Mom
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just know I have messed up with my training of Barney-question is, can I redeem myself and get us on the right track and if so, how?

He barks to go out, to play, to eat, and I have been taking him out probably 10 times each day..sometimes he goes, often he doesn't...I bring him back in, leave the leash on him to remind him of what he went out for...he still occasionally potties in the house - and I cannot catch him in the act!

He has been with us for 6 weeks and I was told he was housetrained when we rescued him...he is totally comfy with both of us now and seems relaxed and OK with his environment...what is a normal number of times a dog of 19 months should have to "go" each day? Is there any method that will help me to help him "get the picture" soon?

Thanks, if anyone can help me!

Marge

G

·
Do you know what type of training he had before? Was he trained to only go outdoors or was he using potty pads also?

·
Barney's Mom
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Potty door

His history from birth to 6 weeks ago was probably not very good and we actually don't know much - but as a rescue he was very likely either ignored or treated harshly from his behavior when we first brought him home...he is warming up to his new environment in a speedy manner...all I do know is that he was using a doggie door at the final rescuers' home before I got him.

We are doing better in the last 4 days or so, I am being VERY vigilent and he is giving me better signals! Still seems like he wants to go out more often than he needs to ... but out we go and if he doesn't "go" fairly soon after, we come back in and wait 20 min or so. I have been giving him freeze dried liver treats after going outside (immediately after) and he loves them, plus the pats on the head and ruffling of his "cheeks"...love him to pieces!

Marge

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
My little boy Cooper, after months of ignoring his doggie bells to go outside, has decided he loves to use them. Now he loves ringing his bells to go out OFTEN. We live in NE so it's cold here too, and he loves it outside. My husband and I look at each other when we hear the bell and say "he can't have to go again", but you can be sure, the first time we ignore him, that's the time he pee's by the door. I know it get's so frustrating!
A dog door to a fenced in area is ideal if that's an option for you. I guess I'm happy now that my Hav is giving me a signal that he has to go out, rather than just sneaking off if I don't get him out often enough.
Good luck, I'm sure you will figure out each others scheduals!
Beverly

·
Barney's Mom
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

You both have been so wonderful in giving me suggestions and telling me about your babies...I think that is the best thing about this forum...is sharing our situations...I always feel so much better after reading that others have either experienced or are experiencing similar situations!

Barney is doing much better...will keep everybody posted and again, thanks!

Yes, it is cold here in Twin City area of MN...but we have absolutely no snow and now they say we won't have any for the forseeable future...so sunny and blue skies and cold seems a lot easier to tolerate.

Marge

·
Registered
58 Posts
Learning the signals

We have never been able to get Miss Daisy to bark at the door, the bells didn't work either. Have you tried just asking your little fellow if he wants to go out and go potty. When I ask Daisy and she needs to go she will prance and bark, if not she just looks at me like I'm being very dense. Once she got us trained everything has worked fine.

Sharon (also in NE.)

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Hi Sharon,
Where in NE are you, if you don't mind saying? I'm also curious if you got Miss Daisy fairly locally or if she was shipped in for you. I'm in Lincoln and fairly happy with my vet and groomer, but always looking for other options. Feel free to email me if you'd like at [email protected]
Thanks, Beverly

·
Registered
58 Posts
Question

Sorry to change the subject ............ but I have a problem .............. I can't figure out how to post a new message ........ so I'm stuck doing replys ....... please .... monitor .... HELP ME!!!

·
Barney's Mom
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Sharon

Hey there,

You are right on the button with what your Hav does...Barney has started to stare at me and then when I ask him if he wants to go outside to potty, he hops around or give me a bit of a "boof"....seems to be working all of a sudden..crossing my fingers but we haven't had anything but success for 4 days now!!!!

THANKS TO ALL!

Marge in MN:D

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
My experience was that all of a sudden you say to yourself "gee I have not cleaned up an accident in a week or two" It seems as if they "just get it" at some point, just like potty training kids. Keep up the good work, 4 days is great!

·
Registered
104 Posts
HOUSEBREAKING

You need patience - and don't expect miracles. These guys are very hard to housebreak. Confine him and watch him - that is the two best things you can do - if he is going in the house and you don't see him - he probably has too much territory. Use an X-pen when you cannot be on him all the time. Mine use pooch pads half the time (www.poochpad.com) and they are a huge help - as mine hate rain and wet feet!

·
Barney's Mom
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am keeping my fingers crossed, but Barney is now asking to go outside and hasn't piddled or pooped in the house for 8 days...I have been VERY viligent and don't let him out of my sight and keep his leash and collar on when I am thinking he might have to "go" and might not "ask"...so far so good. I can't thank you all enough for your support and suggestions...will keep you up to date on our progress and the key word here is "our" progress!

Marge

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Great work! Keep it up and then you can give me some tips! ;)

Beverly

·
Barney's Mom
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not taking a bow yet!

You are so nice...loved the smiley's Tom! And, me, give advice...not quite ready yet, Beverly! But thanks to you both for the "high five" responses...so far so good and we'll keep plugging away!:p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fake potty alert

Marge
This is a heads up for the next stage, which is the fake potty alert .......... Miss Daisy loves to share our evening bowl of pop corn. When it is all gone, she will start to prance around and pester us as if she needs to go out. When we ask her if she needs to "go out and potty" she responds with a positive prance and woof. The minute my husband gets off the couch to let her out she jumps up to check for any "lost" kernals of pop corn. What a little smarty!!!!

Another fun stage to look foreword to ............... Sharon

1 - 20 of 30 Posts