Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I want to ask for your good vibes for Cash preemptively.

3 years ago, 20 days after his rabies vaccine, Cash got deathly ill. He was just over 1 year old. This Forum got me through some of the scariest days of not knowing if he would live or die. One day he had a fever... 3 days later he was lame and in pain. Obviously, and happily he got through it. At 4 years old he is healthier than ever. But we never got an answer ( after $3500 of testing) what caused his ailment. Although every one thinks it sounds like it was a tick borne disease, the thought that this happened just 20 days after his rabies shot keeps haunting me. Back then, the vets thinking was a reaction would happen within days... now they think that disorders to the immune system can show up more than a month later. Again, I got no answers so I really don't know why he got sick.

Well...because where we live we have no choice...they do not accept titers, and they do not give medical exemptions...Cash is getting his 3 year rabies Vaccine on Friday.

My vet advised giving him prednisone a week before and then taper two weeks after to try and suppress an immune reaction. So that is what we have been doing. (Poor guy has been peeing every 1/2 hour.)

I have literally been dreading this day for a year. And I am so nervous that he may have another response. I know it is rarely what you prepare yourself for, but rather what you don't expect. But I thought the least I could do for my boy is to harness the power of this forum to embrace him with good thoughts and healthful wishes.

So may I ask you all to put Cash (and his immune system) in your thoughts and prayers these next few weeks?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Will do, Missy. That is a frightening thought that it could be the rabies vaccine. I'm already starting to worry about my new puppies vaccines! Cash and you will be in my prayers.

·
Dave T
10,876 Posts
Hope all goes well, Missy. No sense telling you not to worry ,because I know you will anyway. LOL

·
Metrowest, MA
26,718 Posts
Absolutely, Missy! We will ALL keep Cash in our hearts and prayers!

·
Tucker 2007-2020
6,276 Posts
Missy, I'm sending you sympathetic hugs of commiseration! Tucker has has a couple of very scary reactions to immunizations, too. I dread Tucker's rabies, which will be coming up this spring. I'll be anxiously watching to see how Cash does, and hope the prednisone does the trick.

My old vet had recommended pre-medicating with Benadryl. Prednisone sounds like a better, heavier plan-ahead action. I've recently moved and haven't even found a vet here yet. Gulp. I'm with you in dreading it.

(((hug))) Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
It is frightening when something happens to our babies and we don't know the cause. I'll keep Cash (and you) in my prayers. Surrounding him in healing light.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Of course. Hopefully it is nothing, and the reaction was not caused by the vaccination. Please keep us posted.

·
Gucci's mom
9,378 Posts
Yes, I remember that and I know its gut wrenching to worry about it happening again :( Will be sending lots of positive-reaction resistant vibes his way! Maybe his immune system is stronger.

I did read an article awhile back about dogs getting these toxic reactions from lawn treatments during the spring/summer especially, so I am always worried about that when we walk and if she sniffs for another dog scent, if she's sniffing some toxin into her system unknowingly, I think that may have happened to her when I thought it was a reaction to frontline (?) I wish there was a way to know for sure on these things. :(

Kara

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Oh Missy I will be thinking of you and Cash, and I pray that all will go smoothly. I know exactly how you feel. Giovanni is one that has reactions, I also pre-treat my guys with Benadryl before I take them in, I have found that it has helped.

Please keep us informed :hug: :kiss:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
We are sending good thoughts for Cash. I was worried about the Rabies shot on Maddie Thank god she was fine and we Pray Cash will be too.:grouphug:

·
Sissygirl's Mom (Marie)
2,738 Posts
Thinking of you Missy. I know it must be a scary time - praying all goes well.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts