Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping that by talking about this I'm not jinxing our warm mid days. But when Rolo and I got up this morning it was around 30°F. I've been reading a lot and have found that it's about 50/50 on whether you should have a havanese wear a coat and/or booties. I was wondering what y'all's thoughts are. How your dogs like snow. I live in Iowa so the weather changes at the drop of a hat.

I also have read that booties can have a negative effect as dogs use the pads of their feet for traction. Any one have ideas/suggestions/things to avoid?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Piper thinks she's part husky. Last winter was her first and she loooves playing in the cold and jumping in the snow. I would put a little sweater on her if it was like below 35F. She never had booties, but i did put some musher's wax on the bottom of her paws to help repel snow and also protect against salted city streets.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I brought Worf home of January 29th, and it was a bitterly cold February in Saskatchewan. Lows were as brutal as -45°C. There was not a day that he didn't want to run around and play in the snow in the back yard. I was whining, he doesn't go outside without me by his side, but he seemed to love it.

I bought him a coat but he only wore it a couple of times and he's never worn boots, but I'm thinking of getting both since he's old enough for walks which will mean longer exposure and possibly salted sidewalks. He's long and skinny so there are not many options for coats that fit, so I'm searching for something good.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
It depends on a lot of things. How long you leave their coat, the absolute temperature, how wet it is, and the big one... how WINDY it is. AND... how long they HAVE to stay out in it.

We rarely "take our dogs for walks" in the winter. If we do, they do wear coats. Havanese are small and don't have much body mass. Even if they have long coayts, ANY wind will fit that coat up, and g right through them. And any wetness travels up their cat like a sponge. But we would never take them out on a "walk" if it were either very windy or very wet.

Snow Dog Tree Carnivore Freezing

Dog Snow Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore

Dog Snow Dog breed Carnivore Pont-audemer spaniel

When they are playing in the back yard, and it's their choice whether to come in, we do not put coats on them. we just let them choose when they want to come in... and then we deal with the consequences! LOL! And with fresh snow, that is often LOTS of melting of snowballs!!! It's like toddlers in snowsuits. You clean up and dry them off from one round, hand out the hot cocoa and marshmallows, and they are ready to go out again!!! LOL!
Snow Dog Carnivore Freezing Atmospheric phenomenon

Dog Snow Dog breed Carnivore Freezing

Dog Carnivore Freezing Snow Slope

Wind wave Sky Recreation Art Shadow

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Snow Liver

And I've got no experience with boots. I don't see any real need for snow. They might be protective for salty sidewalks, but my experience with gross sidewalks is that they get so disgusting underneath after a walk on the sidewalks in the winter that I have to give them a full undercarriage bath anyway... which has lead me to avoid those walks completely!!!

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,578 Posts
Mia loves the cold. Anything about 60 degrees she considers steaming hot. She has a lightweight coat but never wears it unless it gets down below 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I gave up on booties. Where I live now I no longer have to worry about salted roads. The only thing I worry about is when it is super cold and snow is on the ground. Her paws will get ice balls and freeze up.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
We live in an old drafty farm house when we're in the US and so Perry wears a fleece/ sweater 24/7 for most of the fall/ winter - in fact, I have been trying to decide if it's cool enough for it now and if I'll put it on him after his grooming tomorrow (I'll probably put his light fleece on him for a few weeks before we change to the heavier fleece). It seems like he shivers any time it's below 60F. However, for ease of grooming AND because I know he'll be in a sweater, I do keep him in a short puppy cut all year round, including in the winter.

We also have a really cute coat that I put on him over his fleece when it's super cold. That's only when we go out.

Dog Dog breed Tartan Carnivore Dog supply
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Working animal
Shoe Comfort Road surface Grey Flooring
I love the hood on his coat :)

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Mia loves the cold. Anything about 60 degrees she considers steaming hot. She has a lightweight coat but never wears it unless it gets down below 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I gave up on booties. Where I live now I no longer have to worry about salted roads. The only thing I worry about is when it is super cold and snow is on the ground. Her paws will get ice balls and freeze up.
We avoid the streets, and I ONLY use sand on our driveway and decks. Our driveway is on the north side of the house, so salt doesn't really work anyway!!!

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Wetness and wind make a huge difference. Also adding that we don’t dawdle around outside when it gets super cold, damp and windy. We play inside on those days.
One of the advantages of cat-sized dogs! 💗

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
It is wonderful not to have to deal with road salt!
I love our training center, but it drives me CRAZY that they use salt on the driveway!!! I can carry my dogs in, but I feel for those with big dogs!!!

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Registered
572 Posts
Ok, all you snowbirds! We live in CA in the SF Bay Area where it used to never get cold BUT in the last few years, we have been getting some bitter cold days. No snow, no salt on roads, but on those cold days, I wear down and she wears a fleece dog thing and most of the small dogs in our neighborhood do as well. We admire each other's cold weather gear. Our walks are much shorter on those days but we (I think it is "we") like to get out anyway.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,578 Posts
Ok, all you snowbirds! We live in CA in the SF Bay Area where it used to never get cold BUT in the last few years, we have been getting some bitter cold days. No snow, no salt on roads, but on those cold days, I wear down and she wears a fleece dog thing and most of the small dogs in our neighborhood do as well. We admire each other's cold weather gear. Our walks are much shorter on those days but we (I think it is "we") like to get out anyway.
Just curious what you call “bitter cold”. I think temperature is a very relative thing!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Just curious what you call “bitter cold”. I think temperature is a very relative thing!
In the thirties…force our outdoor cat into the garage, water dishes get a little layer of ice on the top which is gone when the sun comes up, a bit of frost on the roofs and cars. Usually forties, but for us warm weather Californians, thirties is very cold..

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,578 Posts
In the thirties…force our outdoor cat into the garage, water dishes get a little layer of ice on the top which is gone when the sun comes up, a bit of frost on the roofs and cars. Usually forties, but for us warm weather Californians, thirties is very cold..
Well I don’t live in California but I also think the thirties is pretty cold. I think there was another Californian on the forum who once mentioned a cold winter day of 55!!! But I agree it is what we get used to. I could never survive In Minnesota!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
What's your take on -40 and windy?p
Well I don’t live in California but I also think the thirties is pretty cold. I think there was another Californian on the forum who once mentioned a cold winter day of 55!!! But I agree it is what we get used to. I could never survive In Minnesota!
I’ve spoken in Minnesota in the middle if the winter a couple of times, and after the meeting people STAND AROUND IN THE PARKING LOT “chit chatting”. I’m like, can we get in the cars and GO SOMEPLACE WARM… PLEASE?!?! LOL!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I’ve also spoken in Winnepeg a couple of times. I remember the first time, seeing all these posts in the parking lots, and asking what they were for. “Oh, that’s where you plug your car in when you go shopping, so it will start when you come back out!” :oops:

I am telling you right now… I don’t EVER want to live where it is so cold that I need to plug my car in to make sure it will start after half an hour of shopping! LOL!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts