Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you know that I ended up buying a Havanese (Darby) considered a "rare teeny tiny" who should be between 3-5 lbs. Of course, now I know that it is wrong to force the breed to be smaller, but since I paid a whopping $3,500 for this "rare" dog, I am curious as to what all of you have paid in the past or are paying now. I realize there is a great variance in how much different breeders charge, but am curious as at some point we may get another Hav for Darby, but a standard size this time! :D

By the way, the breeder, Lynda Denson (http://www.wheatstate.com/~denson/), told me verbally that if Darby should go over five pounds, she would make a financial adjustment. So this will be interesting. He is seven months old and at his last vet visit, weighed 4-1/4 lbs. I almost hope he goes over 5 lbs so I can see how she will jack me around a second time! Also, despite my telling her that any Havanese parents who give birth to a puppy with a defect, the mom and dad cannot be bred again. Well, both of Darby's parents are still up on her website. Why am I surprised?:eek:

Anyway, back to the prices you've all paid, if you care to share, I would be happy to know. Penny

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bummed

So my husband just called and I've been online all afternoon looking up info on liver shunts, etc., plus looking at some Havanese breeders and their dogs. I started getting very excited at the prospect of getting a second Havanese and told my husband that many of you have two or more dogs. I reminded him that Darby will be one on June 28th and what a great time to get another puppy. Welllllll, he basically cut me off at the pass and told me very frankly that we are not getting a second dog until he retires, which will be in late 2009 --- supposedly. Then we will sell our home here in New Hampshire and move permanently to our second home in Arizona. That part is a good thing because I'm from Southern California and my daughter and three little grandchildren are there so I will be living closer to them! But that aside, he did not want to get Darby either until he retired but I pestered enough that we got Darby and WHO is so besotted and in love with Darby? My husband! But this time he said, he was only going to say this once and that is he does not want another dog until he retires. Period. So I took a huge deep breath and let it go. sigh. :(

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
I have paid $1200, $1500 (2x), $1700 and one for free (that I kept out of my own litter).
I am in Ca and I see most of them going between $1800-2500.
I am sorry but I can't belive that Darby's breeder is getting so much for her "tiny" Havanese. In my opinion it's a rip-off.
That makes me so sad. But I am happy that Darby is in your loving arms. I can tell by your posts that you love him so much!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kodi was $1500- and Shelby was $1200-. But I have been quoted as high as $2000 by some breeders. When I first started researching Havs, a few pet shops near me were asking $2500 for their "imports".

Both of my dogs were limited regs although Shelby's breeder forgot to mark the box. If I was dishonest, I could have left it blank and used Shelby to show or breed. But I put a big black mark in the box and sent the papers off to the AKC.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Oreo was $1500 CDN, and also worth every penny :) I'm sorry that silly woman is charging way too much by playing on buyers feelings. I am happy that Darby has a happy home now where he will be loved because she obviously had no concern for the poor little pup - Hang in there Penny because as was mentioned before what goes around comes around. Karma, baby, its all about the Karma :)

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Valentino was $1800 ....the most I have ever paid for a dog but he's the BEST one I've ever had in 36 years of getting a puppy (my poor hubby!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) I WILL definitely get another Hay when either my bichon(11 yrs.) or my maltese(4 yrs.) goes to "doggie heaven"! I would pay more than $1800 to get another puppy with the temperment, personality, intelligence and HANDSOMENESS of my Valentino!! HAVS RULE!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I paid $1700.00 for Allison here in Connecticut and she is worth every penny, I had no idea how much my husband and I would enjoy her. In my opinion this breed is the best small breed going. Since I work for a veterinarian, I see many small dogs, and I think the havanese has the best personality !! I too will get another Hav !!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I paid on the high end, $2000. But as my husband tells people when they ask him, "It doesn't matter what I paid, it was Joanne's Christmas present, and he's worth every dime."

So there! :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
I paid a $100.00 deposit for Asta then $1400.00 a week before delivery .. All was fine he was delivered into my arms . He was fine full of poop from the long drive but in good health ..
I paid $1400.00 for Cosmo included shipping . He was fine when I met him .
Clean and neat and in good health ...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It seems the range I found was between $1,700-$2,200. I am am the low end for the little one I am expecting........:) :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
Back again ..
Breeder no 1 charged more for females . $2000.00
Breeder no 2 also charged more for females . Now Cosmo was called a companion dog not show quality . Show quality was more money .. closer to $1800- $2000.00 I think it deoended on the sires and wins ..
I knew I did not want to show or breed but she had beautiful champion dogs ..

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Cooper was $1200 plus shipping. I was very concerned about the shipping, having no experience with it, but the breeder assured me that they had never had a problem and would never risk their puppies health. Cooper had an overnight flight from Washington to Nebraska, with a layover in MN. He arrived happy, bright eyed, clean as could be, and positively smiling, and he hasn't stopped smiling since! I will definately get another Havanese, and although I realize the price is prohibitive for many people, in our eyes, he's worth every penny.

Beverly

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Ollie was $1800 - and we picked him up....almost brought 2 home!!! Absolutely love him to pieces...

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
I paid 2,000 for the Goldie and 2,500 for Stogie.
Both were show, and I guess more. I didnt want a show quality at first, but Goldie turned out to be good and I had already fallen in love with her. Thank goodness, she is the best dog ever! Its worth every penny.

Some try to save a buck and go with cheaper breeders, you always make it up in vet bills!
But the 3500 for a "mini" still blows me away! I hope lots of people learn from that!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts