Havanese Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started both dogs on a probiotic (dogzyme) recently for overall health, and in hopes of clearing the little bit of discoloration jo has around her mouth. I noticed the last few days that Charlie’s mouth now seems to have a bit of an orange tinge (it’s harder to see on him bc of coloring). I feel like it’s unlikely, but it there any way the probiotic could have caused this? It’s the only thing we’ve changed about diet in the last couple of months!

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
We started both dogs on a probiotic (dogzyme) recently for overall health, and in hopes of clearing the little bit of discoloration jo has around her mouth. I noticed the last few days that Charlie’s mouth now seems to have a bit of an orange tinge (it’s harder to see on him bc of coloring). I feel like it’s unlikely, but it there any way the probiotic could have caused this? It’s the only thing we’ve changed about diet in the last couple of months!
i have no idea but wondered which Dogzymes product you are using. It looks like one is just a probiotic but the others have other stuff in them.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
I have fed Dogzyme Probiotic Max (and it's predecessor product) for over 10 years. I have absolutely NO staining.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m using the probiotic max too…. Hmm back to the drawing board perhaps! Unless he’s having a weird reaction.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
I’m using the probiotic max too…. Hmm back to the drawing board perhaps! Unless he’s having a weird reaction.
Do you filter the water? Could there be something different about the water? I have heard that iron in the diet or water could contribute to staining. I have read that how well a probiotic works for an individual depends upon the current gut biome which could vary. So what works for one may not be as effective for another. Not sure if this is true or not, however my dogs have had reactions to some of the probiotics I have tried.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, we use filtered water so that’s why I thought it might be probiotic! I guess the only other thing is that he was on Benadryl for a while for the mast cell tumors and the pills are pink… maybe that did it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts