Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My niece and her shorkie recently moved to my city, and we've been taking our dogs out walking together. Lately we've been going to a county park with really nice snowy trails in the woods.

Yesterday, we tried the part of the park that's on the other side of the highway, along the river. My niece lets her shorkie run free, but I'm too paranoid (and dogs in this park are supposed to be leashed), so Shama is always leashed. We had barely started our walk when one of my Yaktrax popped off my boot. I handed my leash to my niece and sat on a rock to fix my boot. My niece took Shama walking along the river while I was working on the boot. Then I heard my niece call my name, and I saw the flash of Shama's plush pink leash dragging on the ground. My niece had dropped the leash. It all happened so fast that I'm not sure I even called Shama's name. Shama ran as fast as her little legs could carry her ... right back to her mama! I was so happy! I reached for a treat to give her a jackpot, but it turned out I'd left the treats in the car, so I just gushed with praise.

In five and a half years, Shama had never gotten loose like that. I guess taking all my classes paid off. This past fall, we were taking a class called Reliable Rapid Recalls when COVID made its sessions end prematurely. This event makes me think I should start practicing again. (It's so much easier for me to attend classes than practice without a class ...)

(I found out that my niece had just put the loop of the leash over her wrist rather than holding onto the leash, and when Shama veered off course, the leash slipped right off.)

Puppy owners, take note! Practice calling your dog to you a lot. Have treats ready, choose a moment when it seems like puppy is paying attention to you, and call him/her with an excited tone. Then treat and gush with praise when they come. You don't even have to say your puppy's name if they're looking at you. That way, the name remains special. And definitely don't ever use the puppy's name more than once, because that teaches the puppy that they can ignore you. Finally, don't call your puppy for anything but FUN! If you need to plunk your puppy in his/her pen or put him/her on your grooming table, just go get the puppy. Coming to you should always be richly rewarded!

·
Registered
136 Posts
That is a wonderful story about the value of good training. Shama is a very good girl, and you taught her well. I must admit that I am a bad parent, and left all of Boo's training to a professional, who used to train dogs on television. She was very good, and taught him so many tricks. In fact, at one time, he had over thirty tricks in his repertoire. Boo is praise oriented, and not food oriented. So, I think he was more difficult to train. Unfortunately, due to his vision and hearing loss, he is unable to follow most commands now. Still, his potty training is reliable.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
My niece and her shorkie recently moved to my city, and we've been taking our dogs out walking together. Lately we've been going to a county park with really nice snowy trails in the woods.

Yesterday, we tried the part of the park that's on the other side of the highway, along the river. My niece lets her shorkie run free, but I'm too paranoid (and dogs in this park are supposed to be leashed), so Shama is always leashed. We had barely started our walk when one of my Yaktrax popped off my boot. I handed my leash to my niece and sat on a rock to fix my boot. My niece took Shama walking along the river while I was working on the boot. Then I heard my niece call my name, and I saw the flash of Shama's plush pink leash dragging on the ground. My niece had dropped the leash. It all happened so fast that I'm not sure I even called Shama's name. Shama ran as fast as her little legs could carry her ... right back to her mama! I was so happy! I reached for a treat to give her a jackpot, but it turned out I'd left the treats in the car, so I just gushed with praise.

In five and a half years, Shama had never gotten loose like that. I guess taking all my classes paid off. This past fall, we were taking a class called Reliable Rapid Recalls when COVID made its sessions end prematurely. This event makes me think I should start practicing again. (It's so much easier for me to attend classes than practice without a class ...)

(I found out that my niece had just put the loop of the leash over her wrist rather than holding onto the leash, and when Shama veered off course, the leash slipped right off.)

Puppy owners, take note! Practice calling your dog to you a lot. Have treats ready, choose a moment when it seems like puppy is paying attention to you, and call him/her with an excited tone. Then treat and gush with praise when they come. You don't even have to say your puppy's name if they're looking at you. That way, the name remains special. And definitely don't ever use the puppy's name more than once, because that teaches the puppy that they can ignore you. Finally, don't call your puppy for anything but FUN! If you need to plunk your puppy in his/her pen or put him/her on your grooming table, just go get the puppy. Coming to you should always be richly rewarded!
Yay for Shama and yay for you! It MEANS something when a dog's first choice is always to head back to Mom. (or Dad! ;) ) That "answer", should ALWAYS be treated as "correct" in training, no matter WHAT to are doing!!! So glad to hear that Shama knew EXACTLY what to do in a dicey situation!!! Smart girlie!

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
That is a wonderful story about the value of good training. Shama is a very good girl, and you taught her well. I must admit that I am a bad parent, and left all of Boo's training to a professional, who used to train dogs on television. She was very good, and taught him so many tricks. In fact, at one time, he had over thirty tricks in his repertoire. Boo is praise oriented, and not food oriented. So, I think he was more difficult to train. Unfortunately, due to his vision and hearing loss, he is unable to follow most commands now. Still, his potty training is reliable.
At his age, he is allowed to "rest on his laurels"! <3

Of course, Kodi is still a lot younger than Boo, but I am WELL aware that the clock is ticking. I SO much want him to finish his Utility title before he has to retire. My obedience trainer and I were watching him last week and talking about it. He will not finish in AKC, because I will no longer ask him to jump full height after his shoulder injury. But we can finish his Utility title in CDSP, where we can get a medical release for him to jump 4". (which is basically a bar on the ground) That is no problem for him at all, and will not bother his shoulder. He still WANTS to work.

I take him and Panda both to my lessons. When his "turn" is over, and it's time to get Panda out, he stands in the middle of the ring, and won't leave. If he were a little boy, he would stomp his foot! He wants to keep "playing"!!! As my trainer says, "He will tell us when he doesn't want to work. He still CHARGES through every exercise. He's not ready to retire yet! :)

He was entered in his first Utility trials when he got hurt and then Covid hit in quick succession. Then he was not allowed even to run in the back yard let alone do any training for almost 9 months. He is making up ground fast, but that's a LOT of high-level training to bring back at his age!

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
ShamaMama - What a good girl! No wonder you're so proud! :)

Karen - How did Kodi get hurt? It sounds like quite a serious injury. Glad to hear that he is still fearless and not quite ready to retire.
We aren't absolutely sure, because I was at a dog show with Panda. It happened the day she finished her championship, so it was a mixed blessing day...) I came home to find him LEANING against the wall because he was totally non-weight-bearing on that leg and shaking in pain.

But my son, daughter in law, grand daughter and their two dogs were living with us then. Their larger dog, a treewalker coonhound, is very sweet, but a bull in the china shop and 70 lbs. My best guess is that with no ill intent, the coonhound either knocked him down the steps on the way out to the backyard or just ran him over inside the house while I was gone.

He basically tore all the ligaments that support the shoulder against the dog's chest wall. It was a mess. At one point, they were talking about the possibility of needing to amputate that leg if he didn't start to improve. Fortunately, with twice a week low laser treatment, physical therapy, meds, STRICT exercise restriction, he started to slowly improve. All summer it was three steps forward, two steps back. FINALLY in the fall, he was cleared to leash walk for 5 minutes a day. WOW!! After that, it was still slow, but he was clearly making progress. I had PT exercises to do with him at home, he did water treadmill twice a week, and low level laser weekly. In December, he was FINALLY released from therapy, and put on kind of maintenance. I am just bringing him in every 6 weeks now for chiro and for the sports medicine vet to see him in the water treadmill and make sure he is still moving freely.

It has taken its toll though. He does not move the way he used to. He used to have the gorgeous movement he inherited from his sire. Now, I hate to say it, but although he isn't lame, he moves like a creaky old horse. If you didn't know him before, you probably wouldn't even notice it. But _I_ can tell. Of course it is to be expected as a dog ages anyway, but this isn't from age, because it was sudden onset. It is a result of this injury. And THAT makes me sad.

Reactions: Sheri and ShamaMama

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the fact that it's from an injury (that you didn't even witness) makes it especially sad. I bet Kodi was so relieved to see you come home that day!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I feel like it’s a milestone, to be celebrated with dog cookies or cake!

Sundance didn’t get out many times as a puppy, but every time was incredibly dramatic, because it’s always been some unusual situation. I always worry I’m not working on recall enough, especially because inside our house, every once in a great while I’ll call his name and he’ll just give me that sideways look (although most of the time I don’t say his name unless I know he’s going to come, in part thanks to you, ShamaMama). It was a long time before there was an occasion to test, but a while back he got into the front yard, and when I called him, he came right in! I couldn’t believe it!

Sundance is much less reliable when my kids call him. If they really want him to come they open the fridge. He can hear it all the way upstairs.

·
Tucker 2007-2020
6,275 Posts
We aren't absolutely sure, because I was at a dog show with Panda. It happened the day she finished her championship, so it was a mixed blessing day...) I came home to find him LEANING against the wall because he was totally non-weight-bearing on that leg and shaking in pain.

But my son, daughter in law, grand daughter and their two dogs were living with us then. Their larger dog, a treewalker coonhound, is very sweet, but a bull in the china shop and 70 lbs. My best guess is that with no ill intent, the coonhound either knocked him down the steps on the way out to the backyard or just ran him over inside the house while I was gone.

He basically tore all the ligaments that support the shoulder against the dog's chest wall. It was a mess. At one point, they were talking about the possibility of needing to amputate that leg if he didn't start to improve. Fortunately, with twice a week low laser treatment, physical therapy, meds, STRICT exercise restriction, he started to slowly improve. All summer it was three steps forward, two steps back. FINALLY in the fall, he was cleared to leash walk for 5 minutes a day. WOW!! After that, it was still slow, but he was clearly making progress. I had PT exercises to do with him at home, he did water treadmill twice a week, and low level laser weekly. In December, he was FINALLY released from therapy, and put on kind of maintenance. I am just bringing him in every 6 weeks now for chiro and for the sports medicine vet to see him in the water treadmill and make sure he is still moving freely.

It has taken its toll though. He does not move the way he used to. He used to have the gorgeous movement he inherited from his sire. Now, I hate to say it, but although he isn't lame, he moves like a creaky old horse. If you didn't know him before, you probably wouldn't even notice it. But _I_ can tell. Of course it is to be expected as a dog ages anyway, but this isn't from age, because it was sudden onset. It is a result of this injury. And THAT makes me sad.
I wish there was a "Sad" or "hug" response to make on these threads. I sure hate to read this about Kodi, and the toll that sad, terrible injury has had on him. I am very thankful for you and him that he didn't have to have an amputation!!! And 9 months is such a long time in a dog's life to lose to pain and limits. (((hug)))

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
I wish there was a "Sad" or "hug" response to make on these threads. I sure hate to read this about Kodi, and the toll that sad, terrible injury has had on him. I am very thankful for you and him that he didn't have to have an amputation!!! And 9 months is such a long time in a dog's life to lose to pain and limits. (((hug)))
Thanks, Sheri! It was tough. I had kind of given up on the thought that he could finish utility. And I had so much wanted to finish the journey I had started with my absolutely amazing "Novice A" dog. To have it end this way, so close to our goal was breaking my heart.

So I am over the moon that he is back in action! He is SO glad to be working again!!! The first couple of weeks of work were hard because he was anticipating EVERYTHING! He was so SURE he knew what he was SUPPOSED to do that he wouldn't wait for a cue, he just wanted to run and DO IT!!! (whether he was right or not!!!). It took a LOT of patience! LOL! Fortunately, he has settled back into the groove, and he he is happy and up-beat without being manic! LOL!

Some of his exercises are better than ever. A couple seem "broken" and need some serious remedial work before we'll be ready to go back in the ring. But since That won't happen until after the vaccine, we've still got some time!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish there was a "Sad" or "hug" response to make on these threads.
Recently, I perused the Smilies to see if I could find a heart. There isn't one (?!) so I decided I would use this instead:
:flypig:

There are all sorts of Smilies including this one ...
:fencing:

So I don't understand why there's no heart.

There is this one for a hug ...

:hug:

It's actually just a colon then the word hug then another colon. I'm going to see if I can just type that ...

Did it work?

And there's the group hug which is the same keystrokes as hug but with the word group in front (no space) ...

:grouphug:

Of course, these are a lot more labor intensive than just clicking LIKE!

I recently joined an online dementia forum, and you can't click LIKE! It appears you can only type out responses. I'm :crying: about that!

I always get excited to see a post from you Sheri, because you are one of the people who was in this forum before me and because I love Tucker's coat! :flypig:

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
When Patti was a young puppy I started dog training but it didn't work out for reasons I won't go into and later good dog training classes were not available.

I'm sure I could have trained Patti as a young puppy to come sooner, if we'd had, had consistent training. However, today Patti comes running when I call: Patti Come. She comes even when she's on the other side of the house when she hears me Call. No matter where I am she comes when I call: Patti Come.

I have always consistently given Treats when Patti Comes. Doing that trained Patti to Come without Training Lessons.

I always give Treats when I Call because there are times when I don't have them and I REALLY WANT or NEED her to come.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
I always give Treats when I Call because there are times when I don't have them and I REALLY WANT or NEED her to come.
And that is EXACTLY how any good trainer would teach you to train recalls! :)

Reactions: Mikki and ShamaMama

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Recently, I perused the Smilies to see if I could find a heart. There isn't one (?!) so I decided I would use this instead:
:flypig:

There are all sorts of Smilies including this one ...
:fencing:

So I don't understand why there's no heart.

There is this one for a hug ...

It's actually just a colon then the word hug then another colon. I'm going to see if I can just type that ...

Did it work?

And there's the group hug which is the same keystrokes as hug but with the word group in front (no space) ...

Of course, these are a lot more labor intensive than just clicking LIKE!

I recently joined an online dementia forum, and you can't click LIKE! It appears you can only type out responses. I'm :crying: about that!

I always get excited to see a post from you Sheri, because you are one of the people who was in this forum before me and because I love Tucker's coat! :flypig:
Not as convenient but you can Copy and Paste Emoji's ...&#128139;

There are Lots! of ❤ &#129505; &#128155; &#128154; &#128153; &#128156; &#128420; &#129293; &#129294; &#128148; ❣ &#128149; &#128158; &#128147; &#128151; &#128150; &#128152; &#128157;

Here are some New 2021 Emoji &#128558;*&#128168; &#128565;*&#128171;

https://getemoji.com/

I don't know how to copy and paste a gif :kev:

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
Not as convenient but you can Copy and Paste Emoji's ...&#128139;

There are Lots! of ❤ &#129505; &#128155; &#128154; &#128153; &#128156; &#128420; &#129293; &#129294; &#128148; ❣ &#128149; &#128158; &#128147; &#128151; &#128150; &#128152; &#128157;

Here are some New 2021 Emoji &#128558;*&#128168; &#128565;*&#128171;

https://getemoji.com/

I don't know how to copy and paste a gif :kev:
Who knew? LOL!

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
Tucker 2007-2020
6,275 Posts
Thank you Shama, that was sweet to read. He was a precious, special boy.

I had to let Tucker go November 10. I am broken hearted and cry often. I miss him terribly. He was 13 years 9 months.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts

I had to let Tucker go November 10. I am broken hearted and cry often. I miss him terribly. He was 13 years 9 months.

Reactions: Sheri

·
Registered
4,005 Posts

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful boy, Tucker.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts