Havanese Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Very proud of our little Jolene, who just passed her Canine Good Citizen test this afternoon!
I actually wasn’t planning to do it until she was closer to a year and a half, but our local SPCA was offering a class, so I figured it would be good practice. She was being such a little teenager this morning that I almost didn’t go to the test, because I thought there was no way she would pass. But she pulled it together and did great! The obedience portion has always been her strong suit, and the evaluator said she should have gotten extra points because she did it all so well. So proud of my little Jo, and I think she’s pretty proud of herself too!

View attachment 178008
View attachment 178007
Congrats! The perfect combination of both beauty and brains 🥰

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The Petsafe 3-in-1, if it fits properly, should not go across the chest at all... it should encircle the neck, encircle the rib cage, and have a single straight strap connecting those two circles, on the back and on the belly. The construction is almost identical to the Blue-9, except that, according to MPM, I believe the top strap differs in length, which made it fit her Yorkie better.

But I SUSPECT that may have been too big for JoJo when you tried it. Because in its absolute MOST snugged in position, it JUST fits Pixel, who is 9 1/2 lbs. The XS fits ALL my dogs, from Pixel with the straps at their smallest, to Kodi (17 lbs), with the straps let all the way out. And there is no smaller size. So this harness really isn't useful for the smallest Havs
Ah this explains it— it wasn’t the 3-in-1, it was the pet safe ‘easy walk’, because that was the one they had in smaller sizes. And that one has a strap across the chest. I was worried she’d never get big enough for the blue 9 but was relieved when it finally worked with a couple of the straps on the shortest settings. Charlie wears a size S in the Blue 9, and he’s about 17 lbs. The XS might work at its longest though.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Yes, the Easywalk is very shoulder-restrictive, and I would not recommend it for any dog!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Thank you. This and the PetSafe 3-in-1 harnesses are on my short list. I like the front attachment (no tracheal involvement) and they don't fall across the upper "arm" of the dog restricting movement.
I found a very simple one that I like for Perry. I've tried the petsafe (see below) but like this one.

The first two pictures are the gogo one - I checked with Perry's ortho vet and she was happy with where it hit him on the shoulder (with his leg issues I didn't want to add shoulder restrictions into it). And I am relatively happy with where it hits him on the chest/ throat. I also like how light it is - the xsmall comes in 3/8" so it really light on him. They're not as available on amazon as they used to be - but I got them from a company recommended by gogo itself (Home - Dig It Pet) They have multiple length / width leashes in matching colors a well :). Needless to say Perry has a few colors in his collection :). the negative is that the xsmall is the smallest, and Perry, at 11 pounds, wears it adjusted to about 1/2 way, so it would fit a smaller dog but not really a puppy.

The 3rd picture is him in the petsafe. In addition to it not fitting right (it looks fine when there's not a leash attached, but with the leash I found the clip being at the rib end of the harness made the harness itself move around too much - so I think it depends a lot on the build of the specific dog.
Neck Liver Chignon Feather Bun
Dog Tartan Carnivore Textile Dog breed
Glasses Dog Dog supply Dog breed Carnivore

The Petsafe 3-in-1, if it fits properly, should not go across the chest at all... it should encircle the neck, encircle the rib cage, and have a single straight strap connecting those two circles, on the back and on the belly. The construction is almost identical to the Blue-9, except that, according to MPM, I believe the top strap differs in length, which made it fit her Yorkie better.

But I SUSPECT that may have been too big for JoJo when you tried it. Because in its absolute MOST snugged in position, it JUST fits Pixel, who is 9 1/2 lbs. The XS fits ALL my dogs, from Pixel with the straps at their smallest, to Kodi (17 lbs), with the straps let all the way out. And there is no smaller size. So this harness really isn't useful for the smallest Havs
I got (and had high hopes) for the petsafe 3-in-1 but even though Perry is probably somewhere between Pixel and Panda in size, I just couldn't get it to fit Perry right, some of the straps at the tightest side weren't tight enough and I couldn't get it to fit right.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
I got (and had high hopes) for the petsafe 3-in-1 but even though Perry is probably somewhere between Pixel and Panda in size, I just couldn't get it to fit Perry right, some of the straps at the tightest side weren't tight enough and I couldn't get it to fit right.
I think that was why MOM ended up with the Blue 9 for her Yorkie. The proportions of the Petsafe 3 in 1 were just not right for him.

The other advantage of tour harness, if you do not need the no-pull feature, is how easy it is to get on and off. The 3 in 1 and Blue 9 aren’t HARD, but you need to learn how to use them.

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think that was why MOM ended up with the Blue 9 for her Yorkie. The proportions of the Petsafe 3 in 1 were just not right for him.

The other advantage of tour harness, if you do not need the no-pull feature, is how easy it is to get on and off. The 3 in 1 and Blue 9 aren’t HARD, but you need to learn how to use them.
Pretty sure it took my husband at least a month to figure out the Blue 9 😂

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts

Yes that is true. Although my yorkie and Mia are the same weight, they are built totally different. The Blue 9 worked better for the yorkie. The 3 in 1 and Blue 9 both work for Mia. I believe Mando's Mommy also found that the Blue 9 worked better for Mando than the 3 in 1. I am now using a harness by the Trendy Whippet for the yorkie since I am trying to avoid shoulder buckles as he has a lipoma there. However, the Trendy Whippet does not work well for Mia. It is hard to pull it over her giant ears!

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
The Blue 9 works great for Toffee. We tried 2 different mesh harnesses when he was a puppy, both resulted in matting where there was movement (arms and chest). He’s 15.5 months now (7.2 kilos) and the smallest size Blue 9 fits a treat and should last as I don’t expect his weight to change now. It’s taken lots of stop, sit, walk on, to get him to walk beside me without pulling but we got there 😁

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
The Blue 9 works great for Toffee. We tried 2 different mesh harnesses when he was a puppy, both resulted in matting where there was movement (arms and chest). He’s 15.5 months now (7.2 kilos) and the smallest size Blue 9 fits a treat and should last as I don’t expect his weight to change now. It’s taken lots of stop, sit, walk on, to get him to walk beside me without pulling but we got there 😁
Yes, the mesh harnesses are great for tiny puppies that are mostly still at the "carry around" stage, but they really aren't meant for training, and they are hell on fluffy Havanese coats once they start to grow!

Reactions: Toffee170221

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
She is definitely a smart cookie, but her common sense leaves something to be desired…. Currently napping between the wheels of my rolling office chair, while I’m in it. 😂
I have a feeling she thinks she’s being very smart - she’ll know the second you move, and she’d roll her eyes at the idea of her hair getting caught in the wheels because of her youthful invincibility complex.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
For the petsafe I kept it hooked even off so it was easier to put on :). When my sister got a puppy I lent it to her and she had a hard time figuring out how to put it on :)
Yes that’s the only way to learn! The blue 9 also has the strap along the back as a different color, which helps somewhat

21 - 33 of 33 Posts