Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My (new, responsible, does testing, etc) breeder's puppies are here :) I think I am going to get another puppy :) A chocolate parti male for Skiver to play with! Am I crazy?

Really, I am thinking (at least after the potty training stage) it will be less work, as they will play together, and maybe I will get less of the pulling on my pant leg, "play with me Mommy!" all evening long :) Or...maybe they will EACH pull on a pant leg! LOL

Question for those multi-hav owners; is it best to get Skiver neutered before the new arrival? He's 6 months old now, so he should be ready anytime. Thanks!

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Congrats Jolynn: Marj's MHS stricks again. There is no cure and boy is it spreading:D :D

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Congrats Jolynn! ANOTHER??? heeehee!! yep the MHS has gotcha! I haven't got the words of wisdom for you, but I just want to say oooohh I am excited for you! My breeder also has new puppies and I'm excited and hopeful for a new pup too! I'm sure Skiver would love a little buddy, but I doubt that will stop him from wanting to play with you too! :D

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Congrats, Joann
It's true that they will tend to leave you alone somewhat. Except when they get bored with each other, then they come back to you looking for fun :D
We joke that Shelby is not as smart as Kodi, but she is just suffering from "second child syndrome". We don't pay as much attention to her because she s always playing with Kodi. So we start puppy class next week so I can spend some one-on-one time with her.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks :) I'm pretty excited. Poor Skiver, he won't be the 'Little King' anymore! But I think he'll like having a playmate. He's great at socializing with people, but there aren't a lot of other small dogs around for him. I'm sure he thinks he's a people, too!

I'll have to find a small dog for him to play with in the next 10 weeks so he won't be in for too big of a shock when the new pup gets here :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I love the choclates as well .. That was my first choice but then I got Asta and he was no 1
Congratulations to you . Wise decison .. to add another .. It is so interesting to see them communicate with one another .. Trust me they are like kids and you have to supervise in the beginning but it is worth it ..

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
That is such great news Joanne, I am so excited for you!! I cannot wait to see pictures of your new little one. Oh yes, and how is Skiver doing? I should not be the one to ask because I am guilty myself:eek: , but It would be nice to see some new pics of Skiver :)

If Skiver is ready to be neutered, it would be best to get it done before the puppy arrives. As it is, when they are recovering it is so hard to limit their activity, never mind with 2!!! :D

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
Joanne - Skyver is definitely ready to be neutered. :) Between 6 and 7 month is just the right time, before they start developing any bad habits.

And congratulations on your soon to be second havanese. I see that the Multiple Havanese Syndrome stikes again. ;)

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
Congrats Joanne on your soon to be addition to your family!Skiver will love his new playmate I'm sure!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I agree - it is better to neuter before you have the new puppy . It is nice to be able to give him your full attention .. I had two dogs neutered within a week of each other . I do not recomend it but fortunately all went well except for the third day lickies ..
It was hard after the surgery keeping them from getting too rambucuous and active ..

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
OMG, you've been hit with MHS so soon??!! LOL :D Go for it, girl! Sure, it sounds crazy to the rest of the world, but all of us here know it's not. hehehe

Skiver won't be "in shock", so don't worry. They truly love to play and even if it does take a couple of days, it won't be long before they'll be pals. Both being so young, they are going to have oodles of energy and yes, you will have a bit more free time for yourself. Mind you, you are getting a baby, so maybe not just yet. :rolleyes: You are courgeous, I'll give you that! lol

In my case, Ricky wants to play way more often than Sammy does, but Sammy is playing a lot more than in the first couple of days. Only normal, he was getting used to everything. He's older though so already had his own little habits. After the first 4, 5 days, you'd swear Sammy had always been with us because he fit right in.

Your new baby will fit right in w/o a care in the world and though Skiver will no doubt be a little more eager for your attention when you're with the pup, he'll also enjoy just being around him without you always having to be there.

A chocolate parti you say...... I'm so envious!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, unfortunately my battery charger for my camera is missing, so I am using that as an excuse to go buy a new camera next week! So no pics that are real recent, but here's one from a few weeks ago.

Yup, I'm lucky to have found a choc hav, especially one so close to me! I'm really excited :) I've gotten pictures already, he has great markings, and is going to be a soft chocolate like his mommy, like a carmel color, really pretty...that's what the breeder thinks. But the daddy is dark chocolate, so who knows. I can't tell from the pups.

Here's the pic of Skiv:

Attachments

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
How I love the curls on Skiver!! Great picture!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He's 6 months old now. Yeah, he's a curly guy! I brush him out nice, and he wakes up in the morning with bed head all over his body! Curly again! He doesn't seem to have the 'typical' hav hair, he looks like he got a perm :)

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Is Skiver practicing for the runway in that photo? He looks like he's got the perfect runway model prance down pat!

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
Skiver is such a cutie and is getting to be such a big boy. :)
Please share the pics of your new baby with us.

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
what a cute guy Skiver is!I know he is tiny....how much does he weigh now?I also love the angle of the photo......like a snooty runway model!Lol!CUTE!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, we should rename him "zoolander" LOL! He likes the camera, I need to take more pictures, need a better camera, that one's old.

Last time we weighed him, he was 3.5 pounds, and he's 6 months old. Still little, but it's funny...he's growing and doesn't realize it. He tries to run under the table and hits his head, cuz just a little while ago, he fit under it!

Here's another of him; it's hard to get him to sit still for a picture, so he is always topsy-turny looking! As far as the new pup, I only have one pic of the whole bunch, and I don't think it's appropriate to post that, but as soon as I get a separate pic of mine, I'll share :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 63 Posts