Havanese Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
There is no reason for a puppy to have access to pellets to use a litter box. Just use one with a grid! This is the one I use:

Gas Wood Tints and shades Flooring Rectangle

I find fake grass objectionably smelly. There is no way to clean it well enough that I can’t smell it.

Pee pads are a huge amount of non-biodegradable waste. Plus many if not most Havanese puppies will destroy them, they are expensive, and many puppies will only use them once, then do not want to use a soiled pad.

Washable pee pads encourage puppies to potty on ANY cloth item left on the floor. From a scatter rug to an unintentionally dropped towel. And why not? You have taught them to potty on cloth on the floor! I have yet to hear of a person who has used washable pee pads and has NOT had this problem later.

Real, replaceable grass (sod) - seems to work well, but it’s quite expensive. I have not used it.

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
Uncovered wood pellets work great for puppies started on them at 3 weeks old, in the progression we use, and one will only very rarely want to eat them. When introduced later, it is something new to curious, and rambunctious puppies, and not something they instinctively know what it's for. Sometimes it doesn't work at all when started after they leave their breeder.

Early potty training is all about developing a habit. It has little to nothing to do with reasoning on the puppy's part.
This is SOOOO important, and so misunderstood. ALL of it!!!

Reactions: Toffee170221

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
Krandall:
Thanks so much for your thoughts! I think putting pellets underneath a grate could work really well if my puppy ends up wanting to eat them. I think I may give that a try first. How often do you clean the grate? Does it smell from residual urine?

And the photo of your setup is super helpful. I've been eyeing that pen on Amazon!

Hsin:
The real grass sounds like it is far superior to artificial as long as I don't mind paying the cost. It's good to have options!
The grate would have to be left pretty groos for a really long time to start to smell. Mine has NEVER smelled. I wipe the top of it with a paper towel and kitchen spray (I use Method) every couple of days, and if someone has a mess poop (VERY unusual) I take it outside and hose it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts