Havanese Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi there! I'm picking up my first Havanese at the end of the month. This will be my first puppy in years. I'm trying to decide what to try first for potty training. While I live in a house, we only have a fenced deck, not a fenced yard. Although I'm considering getting a grass patch and placing it in an x pen on the deck under a covered area, I'm wondering if it makes more sense to just stick to indoor potty training. I live in the rainy pacific northwest.

I've purchased a puppy potty pan and am not sure what would be the best option to put inside. The puppy will have exposure to pee pads with the breeder, but I'm not sure if those will make the most sense as the puppy grows. I am also researching pine pellets, grass patches, and the bark potty (placed inside the potty pan).

Does anyone have experience with these options and want to share their thoughts?

Considerations:
Smell
Ease of cleanup
Likelihood for success
Cost (although this is least important to me)
View attachment 178876

·
Registered
46 Posts
Unfortunately my boy ate the pine pellets when he was a puppy. We went to a potty pad with grid (we used the Richell brand). It has worked out great. We travel a lot by car and we just take one with us. When we stop for a potty break, he immediately goes on his pad. We no longer use them in the house as we have transitioned to one on our porch and one in the garage. They are a life saver for us since our boy has long hair. Rainy days and wet grass dont go well with full coats!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts