Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sweet Teddy has some serious sticking up ears. This doesn’t seem normal to me. He is purebred. 9 weeks old. We got him at 8 weeks and at that time, one ear was beginning to stick up. In the 9 days we have had him, both ears are now up. We absolutely love him no matter what, I was just wondering if this was normal and if they were likely to go down.

Attachments

·
Sophie
980 Posts
Oh my! He is soooo cute! I can't let my mom see...she thinks the only way Havanese could be more perfect is if they had upright ears :laugh: It is certainly not normal, and considering breeds that are meant to have naturally erect ears often have more trouble than he is having with getting liftoff as young puppies (think of German Shepherd and Corgi puppies), I think it is very unlikely they will go down. Is he registered purebred with a reputable registry like AKC or Canadian Kennel Club? Is he from a responsible breeder? I have seen some slightly funky ears on Havanese, but I've never seen anything this strongly upright in a purebred Havanese ��

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The breeder gave me the paperwork for America’s Pet Registry, Inc. I feel guilty even questioning his ears as we really LOVE him. It’s just that we paid a huge amount for him thinking he was purebred and had different expectations of his future looks.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Can you tell us who the breeder is? Did you visit in person? Have you seen the parents? Your puppy is adorable but I have never seen ears like that on a Havanese.

·
Sophie
980 Posts
The breeder gave me the paperwork for America's Pet Registry, Inc. I feel guilty even questioning his ears as we really LOVE him. It's just that we paid a huge amount for him thinking he was purebred and had different expectations of his future looks.
APRI is unfortunately not a reputable registry whatsoever and it is very common for mixed breeds to be registered as purebreds. It is also common for breeders who register with APRI to have gotten their own dogs on limited AKC registration, meaning they can't register the puppies of those dogs with the AKC. A bit of a loophole for shady people to sell "registered" puppies out of stock that wasn't meant to be bred. He's darling, and he is yours, but it is very unlikely that he was well bred and he is likely not a purebred. Regardless, he and you will be welcomed here with open arms! Welcome!

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,178 Posts
He is adorable!! I love his unique little ears. They are definitely different. I don't think I have seen any Havs with vertical ears. Were his parents' upright?

And I thought Fezzik's ears were on the perky side. :smile2:

·
Metrowest, MA
26,723 Posts
The breeder gave me the paperwork for America's Pet Registry, Inc. I feel guilty even questioning his ears as we really LOVE him. It's just that we paid a huge amount for him thinking he was purebred and had different expectations of his future looks.
"American Pet Registry" is not a real registry, unfortunately. The real registry the US is AKC (rarely UKC) or in Canada CKC. your puppy is to die for cute and I'm sure he will be a lovely pet, but I think it is likely some other genes snuck in there someplace!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Agree re comments re difference between meaning of AKC and American Pet Registry and it is important for people paying a lot of money for a puppy to understand the difference. If you think you may end up continuing to wonder about the ears, You might want to consider doing one of those dog dna tests to see if there is something “different” mixed in there!

That said, he is adorable. Love to see more pictures as he grows.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
This is one of the Cutest Dogs in the World. Of course, you're keeping him. However, I would make a complaint to the breeder and request a full or partial refund. If he requires a DNA test then he should pay for that if it comes back there was another dog in the woodshed.

If he doesn't give you a refund I would make a complaint to the BBB and whatever Kennel Clubs he belongs to. All Kennel Clubs have standards and if the breeder says the dog is pure breed that doesn't mean a mix breed....however cute they are. Mix Breeds don't bother me but the buyer should get what they pay wether it is APRI, UKC, Canada, AKC OR ABC...

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,906 Posts
My Mia is half Papillon and her ears are mostly down but do pop up occasionally. Teddy is super cute.
I just wanted to add that Mia is a breeder "accident". Her mom was an AKC registered Havanese and she was not intentionally bred as a designer dog. The breeder thought Mia's mom had already been bred by a Havanese but evidentially not. The breeder's visiting daughter's six month old Papillon who was due to be neutered the following week obviously did the job. It was not discovered until people took the puppies and ears started standing up. Mia was returned to the breeder and I adopted her. The breeder sounded sincerely remorseful about the whole thing.

Mia's dark side...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
I just wanted to add that Mia is a breeder "accident". Her mom was an AKC registered Havanese and she was not intentionally bred as a designer dog. The breeder thought Mia's mom had already been bred by a Havanese but evidentially not. The breeder's visiting daughter's six month old Papillon who was due to be neutered the following week obviously did the job. It was not discovered until people took the puppies and ears started standing up. Mia was returned to the breeder and I adopted her. The breeder sounded sincerely remorseful about the whole thing.

Mia's dark side...
Accidents happen. The breeder should be notified and he should make good on the deal by adjusting the price or refunding the money.

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,906 Posts
Accidents happen. The breeder should be notified and he should make good on the deal by adjusting the price or refunding the money.
I agree. I would think a legitimate breeder accident is extremely rare. I just thought it was an interesting story. Selling a puppy as a purebred dog who isn't is definitely unethical, although I am sure many of their other practices are unethical as well. Someone I know adopted a dog from a puppy mill type situation. The "breeder" (using that term loosely) said the dog was negative for heartworms and actually turned out to be heartworm positive and she has gone through a nightmare the past several months.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
I agree. I would think a legitimate breeder accident is extremely rare. I just thought it was an interesting story. Selling a puppy as a purebred dog who isn't is definitely unethical, although I am sure many of their other practices are unethical as well. Someone I know adopted a dog from a puppy mill type situation. The "breeder" (using that term loosely) said the dog was negative for heartworms and actually turned out to be heartworm positive and she has gone through a nightmare the past several months.
Puppymills are against the law and those people can be jailed. Bad breeders: Backyard Breeders are a different issue. You're taking a big chance not checking out the environment and getting documentation the dog is healthy. Heart-worms in a puppy sounds extreme to me. I don't know where your friend got the dog but if it's puppymill she should contact the authorities and have them check the place out. That's very sad to hear a puppy would have heart-worms.

It doesn't sound like Teddy came from a Puppymill. I don't know what happened but the poster apparently paid a lot of money for a pure breed Havanese and by appearances that does not seem to be the case.

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,906 Posts
Puppymills are against the law and those people can be jailed. Bad breeders: Backyard Breeders are a different issue. You're taking a big chance not checking out the environment and getting documentation the dog is healthy. Heart-worms in a puppy sounds extreme to me. I don't know where your friend got the dog but if it's puppymill she should contact the authorities and have them check the place out. That's very sad to hear a puppy would have heart-worms.

It doesn't sound like Teddy came from a Puppymill. I don't know what happened but the poster apparently paid a lot of money for a pure breed Havanese and by appearances that does not seem to be the case.
My friend adopted a three year old that had been used for breeding and they were retiring him. I think there is a fine line between a puppy mill and a backyard breeder. It is sometimes difficult to distinguish between them and people have different opinions on what the definitions are.

Illegal or not, puppy mills exist and I live in the state with the most puppy mills in the country.

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,906 Posts
My friend adopted a three year old that had been used for breeding and they were retiring him. I think there is a fine line between a puppy mill and a backyard breeder. It is sometimes difficult to distinguish between them and people have different opinions on what the definitions are.

Illegal or not, puppy mills exist and I live in the state with the most puppy mills in the country.
Just adding that in my state puppies are sold in pet stores. I do not think ethical breeders sell to pet stores. Just my opinion. These puppies come from somewhere...are they puppy mills or backyard breeders?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts