Havanese Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at purchasing a pure bred havanese and the breeder has "selected" the largest puppy of the litter for us (like 25% bigger than his 4 siblings!) at age 11 weeks. Dogs are registered with the CKC (Canada). Should we pass on the offer or go for it? Thank you!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
And EVEN if he ends up being a larger Havanese, unless plane travel is an absolute “must” on your list for the puppy, so what? The biggest Havanese is still a small dog. When I fell in love with my first Havanese puppy, I was warned by the breeder (Tom King and his wife Pam, who responded above) that he would be on the larger side. I didn’t care… it was love at first sight!!! Kodi ended up at the top of the size range for our standard, at 11 1/2” and 17 llb, but stunningly beautiful, incredibly talented, the sweetest lap and a half dog EVER, and the doggon BEST first fog anyone could ever have!❤
Dog Purple Carnivore Dog breed Magenta

Dog breed Carnivore Liver Companion dog Water

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Tree Smile

All of my other Havanese are smaller, and much as I love them too, I wouldn’t trade ONE of them for my Kodi boy!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
We are looking at purchasing a pure bred havanese and the breeder has "selected" the largest puppy of the litter for us (like 25% bigger than his 4 siblings!) at age 11 weeks. Dogs are registered with the CKC (Canada). Should we pass on the offer or go for it? Thank you!
For me it would be an issue as I am on lifting restrictions. One thing with a smaller pup comes a smaller bladder. Why can you not choose your own pup? To me that would be enough to bypass that breeder. I guess since you asked the question if you should worry, might be enough of an indicator to me that I would request to be considered for one of the other puppies.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
For me it would be an issue as I am on lifting restrictions. One thing with a smaller pup comes a smaller bladder. Why can you not choose your own pup? To me that would be enough to bypass that breeder. I guess since you asked the question if you should worry, might be enough of an indicator to me that I would request to be considered for one of the other puppies.
Most good breeders will not let you just "choose" your puppy, and a pet person choosing a puppy out of a litter in no way guarantees them that the puppy will be a certain size. If a weight restriction is an issue, that needs to be conveyed to the breeder. I am not sure what your weight restriction is, but almost ALL Havanese are under 20 lbs unless they are obese. (there are outliers, but extremely rare) The VAST majority are under 15 lbs. If you need a dog under 10 lbs? While MANY Havanese end up in that range, I would be suspicious of a breeder who told me, for sure, that a puppy WOULD, FOR SURE, BE under 10 lbs when they were 8-12 weeks old. I would doubt even more, that a pet person could pick that puppy out of a litter. The ONLY way to be absolutely sure of the adult size of a dog is to buy an adult dog.

As Sheri said, small bladders DO come in smaller dogs, but so do smaller appetites and less need for water. It has no bearing on how often the dog need needs to pee. (compared to other Havanese)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Most good breeders will not let you just "choose" your puppy, and a pet person choosing a puppy out of a litter in no way guarantees them that the puppy will be a certain size. If a weight restriction is an issue, that needs to be conveyed to the breeder. I am not sure what your weight restriction is, but almost ALL Havanese are under 20 lbs unless they are obese. (there are outliers, but extremely rare) The VAST majority are under 15 lbs. If you need a dog under 10 lbs? While MANY Havanese end up in that range, I would be suspicious of a breeder who told me, for sure, that a puppy WOULD, FOR SURE, BE under 10 lbs when they were 8-12 weeks old. I would doubt even more, that a pet person could pick that puppy out of a litter. The ONLY way to be absolutely sure of the adult size of a dog is too buy an adult dog.

As Sheri said, small bladders DO come in smaller dogs, but so do smaller appetites and less need for water. It has no bearing on how often the dog need needs to pee. (compared to other Havanese)
Totally agree with what has been said! I personally have an ‘extra large’ (17.5 lb) and ‘extra small’ (8 lb) Havanese. Around the bladder issue, I was worried about this when my little girl came home at 10 weeks— she weighed 2.75 lbs. Her bladder was definitely tiny at first, but all little puppies have to pee frequently. My bigger guy has a bladder of steel (and is lazy— we literally have to force him to go out to pee sometimes) and for some time, she didn’t seem able to make it more than 3 hrs during the day. But as she has matured, her bladder control has increased. She’s never had problems overnight, but during the day can easily do 4-5 hrs. Longer if it’s raining bc she hates going in the rain!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
To each their own for different reasons. I am sure none of us would consider giving up our dog because they are a bit heavier or smaller then hoped for. At the same time if I do not feel the enthusiasm for a certain pup, I would not purchase it but wait for the one that I have that connect with.
Absolutely! Even though good breeders don't just "let buyers pick", they work WITH their puppy buyers, taking the needs and interests of their buyers into consideration when deciding which puppy should go to which home. They know their puppies better than the buyers do. They spend every day with the puppies from the moment they are born! Buyers normally only see puppies for a short period of time, and often get drawn in by cute markings, or something else superficial. And buyers should ALWAYS have the right to say, "No thank you", if it's not the right fit! I would NEVER take home a puppy that I did not think was right for me!

·
Registered
11,457 Posts
Both my first Havanese were big boys. 16/17 and 22(sometimes 23/24 when he was overweight) lbs. They were loves! But as they got older (and so did we) and we had to help them upstairs. They were a bit heavy. But I wouldn’t have traded them for the world!

My new little girl was 2.5 lbs when she came home. Sydney is now almost 8lbs at 22 weeks. This little girl has a steel bladder. I was worried about a small girl, but this little thing held her bladder from day one.

I will say I love how easy Syd is to bathe compared to the boys. But at the end of the day big or small, they are all Havanese.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Both my first Havanese were big boys. 16/17 and 22(sometimes 23/24 when he was overweight) lbs. They were loves! But as they got older (and so did we) and we had to help them upstairs. They were a bit heavy. But I wouldn’t have traded them for the world!

My new little girl was 2.5 lbs when she came home. Sydney is now almost 8lbs at 22 weeks. This little girl has a steel bladder. I was worried about a small girl, but this little thing held her bladder from day one.

I will say I love how easy Syd is to bathe compared to the boys. But at the end of the day big or small, they are all Havanese.

I agree. I have a 17lb model and a less-than-10lb model (who happen to be half brother and sister!)... and two in between. I love every one of them!!! 💗

• Love
Reactions: Missy

·
Registered
32 Posts
To each their own for different reasons. I am sure none of us would consider giving up our dog because they are a bit heavier or smaller then hoped for. At the same time if I do not feel the enthusiasm for a certain pup, I would not purchase it but wait for the one that I have that connect with.
Our second Hav is 20lbs! Definitely not what we expected but of course we love him to bits❤ His older bro, at 14lbs, is still the boss😉

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I’ll add that our 17+ pounder and my mom’s who is a similar size have both flown cross country— my mom had some work getting her bigger guy used to the carrier but ours LOVED the carrier from the time he was a puppy so finds it very cozy and just curls up and sleeps. He even tries to get in the much smaller carrier we use for our little one. So if you have a larger pup and want to travel, I think start w a airline size carrier from day 1!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
I’ll add that our 17+ pounder and my mom’s who is a similar size have both flown cross country— my mom had some work getting her bigger guy used to the carrier but ours LOVED the carrier from the time he was a puppy so finds it very cozy and just curls up and sleeps. He even tries to get in the much smaller carrier we use for our little one. So if you have a larger pup and want to travel, I think start w a airline size carrier from day 1!
I happen to have JUST seen photos of a certain big B&W Hav traveling across the country!;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Toff seems at 21 months seems to have reached a steady adult weight of 8.5 kilos, 18.7 pounds. At one point I was concerned he looked fat but a recent short cut revealed some muscly thighs and shoulders 😂 and I can feel his ribs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts