Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking Logan to a puppy pre-school starting this week. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should look out for - good or bad?

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Be cautious of large puppies. Sam was slammed by a lab puppy and has been affaid of labs every since. Some classes separate the puppies by size and activity level. I think those are the best. Fun is the most important thing. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went last night for the intro, where they talk but dont have the puppies come. I was pleased with what I heard, and there are only 7 dogs in the class. The instructor did indicate that they seperate the big & little dogs, although I think they are all little in this class. It was funny as the couple I sat next to asked me what kind of puppy I had & when I said Havanese she got real excited as that is what she has too!!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
The class I took Kodi to was great. It meets on Wed nite, and anyone is welcome to just come and sit on the sidelines to see what goes on. Because Kodi was so afraid of other dogs, I took him there 2x and just sat for a while. His class was puppy and some dogs were bigger than the others - there were Cav King Charles, Chihuhuas, Mixed breeds, and an American Bull dog. They all got along. The bigger dogs were on the other side of the room.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Well, wish Oreo, my son and I luck tommorow night. We will be starting obedience classes too :) I am eager to see what Oreo gets from this class. I mainly enrolled him to build up confidence and also to socialize with other dogs and people. In this class the family is allowed to participate, children under 8 are not allowed though. This will make for an interesting class. Different dogs, kids, adults - a big mix, so we will see how it goes. As I have mentioned before, I am AMAZED at how brilliant Havs really are. Oreo has already learned to sit, lie down, wait nicely for his food - stay, and he even is learning how to heel off leash really nicely. :) We are very proud of this little one, as I am confident you all are proud of your little ones - they rock!!

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Oreo's first class will be tonight. Eric and I are very excited!! I will fill you in on how he responds to the other dogs. He is pretty nervous of other because the other day there was a dog barking about a block away and he had his tail between his legs and he was trying to hide behind me. So I think tonight will be interesting, but informative :)

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Good Morning everyone! Just filling you all in on how Oreo did last night in puppy class. When we got in, they told us to come 10 minute early, so the dogs can meet, Oreo was nervous with the other dogs. Its his first time seeing other breeds. He was, shy buy took to a small goldendoodle, named Merlot - actually it looked like a curly haired full grown Coton de Tulear, that was golden :) Oreo seemed to warm up to her, as she was the only one who kinda looked like him. We worked on Sit, Down, Stand and then the classed ended with a pass the puppy - that was fun :) and finally a Controlled puppy playtime. The instructor let out the smaller dogs first, and when the most rambunctious dogs where about to be let loose, she instructed us to pick up the smaller ones :) She really paid attention to all the signs of all the dogs. Oreo wasn't the only nervous one though, even a really gorgeous Chesapeake Retriever was very timid. But it was funny to watch Orea by the end try to engage the run-like-hell, but the other didn't really understand. He was the only one that didn't bark. He has a buddy though, a tiny pomeraninan that is smaller than him. But funny, that little one just went up to all the dogs and was happy to meet them all - brave litte guy. Oreo was afraid of him at first, but then by the end he loosed up :) We'll see how things go next week :)

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is wonderful!!! sounds like it was a nice experience. I like the pass the puppy idea. I hope our first week with puppies goes good next week.! I am anxious for Logan to meet the other havanese in the class.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
WhitBMom
Sounds like everyone had a great experience and the trainer runs an excellent class. Same thing happened with Kodi - very timid the first few classes, and then had a great time with the other pups. We even did some agility things. Everyone couldn't believe how good Kodi did jumping over bars and thru the tire. He just flew.
I hope you continue to have such a great time :D

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Her name is Jan Morgan and I really like her methods. He objective is to get the dog to listen on command once. I liked that she did talk about the past methods that she said were very mean and that she no longer uses. She believes in positive reinforcement and hands-off methods. its really neat to watch how she gets the pups to do what she asks. But what I do like about her the most, is she really, really pays attention to all the dogs signs of agitation, nervousness and fright, and she always modifies because her focus is to avoid any form of trauma to any pup. Mind you, all the pups were very friendly and only one was high energy. He was chewing on his owners arm!! It is funny to watch the reaction of a high energy dog when you are calm assertive. My son and I did that, and he immediately calmed down. He's a great dog, but he needs guidance. This is such an awesome experience and I really look forward to continuing obedience with Oreo :)

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Sure sounds like you found a great class. You and Oreo will probalbly learn lots and have lots of fun.

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
Sounds like the classes are going very well. Dora was pretty timid as well. She now loves the training center. She will cry when we get there. In her puppy class was an adorable bernese mountain dog. She kind of grew up with this dog and now the dog is 125lbs! Dora loves all bernese!!! I have to watch her when at dog shows because she will run up to them bouncing around- not all berners are going to be her friends!

It is great to socialize the dog around even the hyper high energy ones. Just make sure you are in control in case the situation gets bad. My maltese is very high energy. We use a down command when Belle gets too crazy. She will run and drop because I always treat her and never correct her for previously being hyper.

I love seeing havanese involved in training! They are very smart!
Amanda

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Our first class - with the puppies there - is tomorrow, I cant wait!!! Of course we are expecting a big snow storm that night - knowing my luck poor Logan will have to wait another week before we get to go!! I am crossing my fingers though.
Laurie

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well class was cut short due to the weather but at least I got to get Logan there. He was afraid of the dogs, kept hiding behind me, but the trainer feels in a week or so he should be fine. We didnt get to do any training, only questions to the trainer & then went home - in a lovely snow/sleet storm!! I guess I have to wait for the fun till next week.
Laurie

·
Registered
25 Posts
Puppy school

I brought Darby home at 11 weeks and two days later he began his training classes. He was of course the tiniest dog in the class (because he is the teeny tiny variety of Havanese), the youngest and he was also the most popular. Everyone asked what kind of dog he was, fawned over him, etc. It was fun. He learned to "sit", lie down ("down") and since this was back in September, I can't recall what else! But he graduated at the end of November. We were taking him for more training last month, but his surgery got in the way of that, so it hasn't happened yet. Anyway, he learned to sit, lie down, "stay" and with the stay part, you gradually had him stay put while you walked away, or with distractions, putting a treat on the floor in front of him without him going to get it, etc. "Come" was another command he learned, walking him on a leash ("with me") and on and on. He is still very good at sitting, lying down and staying, but because of not being able to work with him for a while due to his surgery, he's gotten kind of lazy when we say, "Darby, come!" so we're working on that again. He will run like crazy and fetch a toy and bring it back to you and to get him to release it, instead of saying "give", we say, "thank you" and he's becoming really good at that. Now, with respect to house training we taking him outside to do his business but we also have piddle pads. We are trying to gradually get him to go just outside. He's so small that I was worried the cold and snow (today it's been snowing since the middle of the night) would be too much for him. He did not like it outside at first (once it got really cold) but he's gradually getting used to it. I will be glad when he's completely house trained, believe me!! :D Penny

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
All this talk of puppy classes and obedience has me disappointed that Ricky and I haven't been able to benefit from some recently. He attended 3 out of 6 classes back in the fall - we didn't like their brusque, physical out-dated methods at all so quit going - but we haven't had a chance to attend anywhere else yet. With the holidays coming, I was just too busy and vowed that in Jan., we'd join somewhere else. Problem is, my herniated disk acted up again and I've been almost house-bound since Jan. 4th ! UGH! :(

I CAN'T WAIT to get Ricky out there, socializing and learning again! I have been doing some training here at home so it's not all 'wasted' time, but still.... I need some socializing too! LOL

This crummy, cold and brutal weather doesn't help either!

Anyway, I am VERY happy to see so many of you enjoying puppy school and trainings! I also find the Hav to be such a smart cookie and so willing to show off everything he knows! :)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I think I am going to take Shelby to puppy class. She needs some training and socialization with other dogs. Even though she has Kodi and my daughter's dogs - Lexi and Jaxson - I think it woukd be good for her to know they are not the only other dogs around.

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
I agree Puppy School is a great socialization.
My guys got used to other dogs from the shows, but I also took
them to some classes. Its funny, they always know other Havs. The other breeds, Stogie loves and Goldie growls.

Goldie used to go up to all the Bichons just wagging her tail. She would try so hard to get attention from them. I think its because they are white and Goldie is white. She seems to relate to other white dogs. Its cute.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts