Havanese Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Trying to somewhat follow dr jean dodds recommendations per my breeder's suggestion. I like my vet - he was fairly receptive to this, went over her protocol sheet with me and made some tweaks to her recs while still respecting my desire to not have my pup overloaded with 5-in-1 vaccines and to space things out and to wait as long as possible for rabies. This is what we came up with together. Does this seem acceptable:

Parvo+Distemper - already given to puppy by breeder at 9 weeks and 1 day old

Parvo+distemper round 2 - my puppy will receive this at 12 weeks and 2 days old

Parvo+distemper round 3: puppy will receive this at exactly 16 weeks

rabies: puppy will receive this at exactly 20 weeks old

Bordatella: optional, can give whenever I want or not at all

Lepto: optional, can give whenever I want or not at all

The weeks are are obviously a little different from Dr. Dodds, but does this plan sound pretty good all things considered?

·
Metrowest, MA
27,251 Posts
You need to do what you feel comfortable with. I have stopped doing a third distemper/parvo and titer instead. (With the blessing of my vaccine literate vet) We had a period when there was a LOT of a really nasty Parvo strain in the area, and during that period, she was recommending a thrid round of Parvo ONLY, but not a third round of distemper. I did not have a young puppy during that period, so it did not affect mine.

I also do not do Rabies until 6 months, but that is the date required in my state. You have to go by the state law on that one. I’d wait as long as the state will let you on that one. I never give Bordatella or Lepto. Ever.

Reactions: NotAMuggle

·
Registered
206 Posts
I’m following this thread with interest. We’re trying to follow the Dodds protocol, too, but have to contend with state law requirements that rabies shots be administered by 4 months of age. We still haven’t figured it out yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to do what you feel comfortable with. I have stopped doing a third distemper/parvo and titer instead. (With the blessing of my vaccine literate vet) We had a period when there was a LOT of a really nasty Parvo strain in the area, and during that period, she was recommending a thrid round of Parvo ONLY, but not a third round of distemper. I did not have a young puppy during that period, so it did not affect mine.

I also do not do Rabies until 6 months, but that is the date required in my state. You have to go by the state law on that one. I’d wait as long as the state will let you on that one. I never give Bordatella or Lepto. Ever.
Thanks for the response. Does the spacing out seem acceptable? I'm waiting 3 weeks (plus 2ish days) between the parvo+distemper rounds and 4 full weeks between the last parvo and rabies (legally cant wait any longer than that). My vet was also fine with me wanting to avoid the 4 in 1 dhpp shots.

It's a bit tweaked from dodd's but we still tried to keep it sort of similar. I think i'm comfortable with this but appreciate the forum feedback/insight.

Bordatella is annoying bc it seems to be required for every dog playgroup, but luckily not for these puppy classes at least.I figure when she outgrows the puppy classes I don't even really have a desire for her to go to these playgroups anyway, she can play with well-mannered dogs of people I know. Plus I'm not into dog parks and wont board her anyway. Our future groomer makes housecalls so I don't think she needs it for that either.

Lepto is tricky because there ARE rats running about my city, but I'll need to do more research and discussion with vet about weighing risks before deciding on that, which wont be any time soon at least

·
Metrowest, MA
27,251 Posts
I’m following this thread with interest. We’re trying to follow the Dodds protocol, too, but have to contend with state law requirements that rabies shots be administered by 4 months of age. We still haven’t figured it out yet.
You HAVE to go with the state law on Rabies, and Dr. Dodds says the same thing. The state has now law on anything else. So everything else is up to you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You HAVE to go with the state law on Rabies, and Dr. Dodds says the same thing. The state has now law on anything else. So everything else is up to you.
I talked to the vet's office today to schedule Mando's first appointment and discuss the vaccination schedule. She's willing to work with us to get on a schedule that we're all comfortable with...at least that's the plan right now. 🤞

1 - 8 of 8 Posts