Havanese Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Flynn of Sir Winston fame
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am putting this under General Discussion thread hoping everyone will take notice of this new jerky alert..this is from a PWD list and I have permission to share it, I have deleted her name, but if you want her address I will share it privately...please use caution feeding any treats..

Hello all. Just received a phone call from a friend who is a breeder. Two of her owners fed jerky treats to their dogs and the dogs are now fighting for their lives. The brand mentioned in a MSN news report is Waggin' Train or Canyon Creek Ranch jerky treats or tenders, both produced by Nestle Purina PetCare Co. The dogs were perfectly healthy and now have renal failure.

If any of you have had any experience with illness caused by this treat please share. Here is the link

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...hicken-jerky-illness-in-dogs-fda-records-show

Thank you,

·
Registered
531 Posts
Those treats are made in CHINA!

Remember only Made in the USA treats for our furkids.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,661 Posts
Those treats are made in CHINA!

Remember only Made in the USA treats for our furkids.
I as very surprised when I went to pick up some "bed time cookies" for Kodi. There were a number of different flavors of "AKC" cookies on the shelf. I was shocked to read the ingredients list and find that most of them were made in China. You would think the AKC would know better!!!:(

·
Roshi's housekeeper
278 Posts
I bought a bag of Waggin' Train. Usually he only gets a broken bit of a piece as a treat after potty. On occasion, I give him half a piece and stick it into his kong before I go out. After he started eating them, he will occasionally puke out yellow bile like substance. And those mornings he puked, it was when I gave him that half a piece. Then I read a FDA article (posted here a while ago) and threw the whole bag out.

Now I buy a chicken jerky that's farmed and made in Canada. Costs me like $22 for a pretty small bag. That **** dog is costing me a fortune, but I love him too much.

The only 'bad' treat he gets is a Milkbone, but he never gets a whole piece. Just half.

If I treat myself to an oreo cookie once in a while, I think Roshi can have a little bit of junk food too. :)

3,646 Posts
I as very surprised when I went to pick up some "bed time cookies" for Kodi. There were a number of different flavors of "AKC" cookies on the shelf. I was shocked to read the ingredients list and find that most of them were made in China. You would think the AKC would know better!!!:(
You'd think!! :( That is disappointing.

Have there been threads on the forum with homemade treat recipes? I found some treats, made in the US the guys like. But they have about three different food colorings in them and that is when staining started occurring. I liked them for training as they didn't crumble too badly. When I contacted the company and asked why the food colorings, their response was that the ones without did not sell????!?! We have a small dog bakery in town and I buy their little crunchy bedtime treats there. But they are not really good for training class.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts