Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,906 Posts
The main reason I do not care for this food because it is dependent upon the addition of synthetic vitamins and minerals for the dog to get the nutrition it needs. One of the main things I look for in a dog food is that it can provide the dog with the nutrition it needs WITHOUT the addition of synthetic vitamins and minerals. I want my dogs to get their nutrition from food, not fake vitamins and minerals. When they get their nutrition from food vs. synthetics, there is less chance of vitamin and mineral toxicity and more chance that the dog will get what it needs from the food. This problem exists in all types of food...not just kibble. There are only two brands of kibble I know of that do not add synthetics.

Nature's Logic
Carna4

Here is an article that explains this in more detail.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/dog-food-nutrition/

Not too long ago, Hill's had tons of recalls on vitamin D overdose. That is because the vitamin mix contained way too much vitamin D. Many dogs got sick and died. They are also finding that some dogs are getting copper storage toxicity because some of the vitamin mixes are too high in copper and they do not take into account the copper the dog gets from other ingredients in the food. Playing around with synthetic additives is risky.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I do have a bias against Purina but I don’t even remember where it came from! It’s reasonable for me to reevaluate. But I do have a rant about dog food.

I personally don’t have any problem with synthetic, lab manufactured vitamins, minerals, or other ingredients in any product. My concern stems from the lack of regulation of dog food in general. What bothers me most about it is that there are all of these “regulatory agencies” and marketing that imply our dog food standards are much higher than they really are. In reality there are all of these loopholes manufacturers actively use to save money or for convenience. These loopholes don’t even exist in other industries, so they completely fly under the radar. I’m not particularly cautious about food ingredients, but I am health conscious, I just choose to look at diet as a whole, generally over the course of a week, and I don’t focus on individual ingredients or foods unless it’s important to the big picture. I don’t have any problem for example giving my kids sugar cereal once a week, yet I am horrified by what goes into dog food without a second glance. I also think for those concerned about synthetic ingredients, like Mudpuppymama, some of the issues that have come up are related to a lack of meaningful regulation.

To be fair, it’s a complicated issue. What we feed animals and how we regulate it, and what it’s based on, would need a lot of changes to meet the standards most people think dog food is already manufactured to. But again, that’s my big problem. People assume (myself included) a certain standard is already being met. A lot of changes have been made to address these issues, but just last year I remember reading about a few basic regulations that were hung up somewhere, and that some regulations that had been approved weren’t yet being implemented.

There are definitely companies who have higher food and manufacturing standards than the required minimums. And I think it’s reasonable that some of the companies with a bad reputation a few years ago would make changes, and it’s fair to reevaluate. It’s just notoriously difficult to wade through this information, partly because of the labeling and marketing practices. And everyone has their own personal tolerances as to what is important to them in a diet. However, I do feel like I have to be more careful choosing dog food than I do choosing human food for my family, because of the way the system is right now.

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,906 Posts
I think that there is a lot of confusion and misinformation about dog food and it is very difficult for us as consumers to know what is best. We all love our dogs and of course want to feel that we are feeding them the best that we can. However, sometimes fierce brand loyalties and preconceived notions get in our way. For example, I used to think that a raw homemade diet is best, however I have become more open minded to other forms of feeding and realize that there are pitfalls with any diet. I try to keep an open mind as to what to look for in dog food. For example, I brought up the subject of synthetic vitamins and minerals as an example. And I was impressed that two kibble manufacturers are implementing this. So do I want to dig my heels in and ignore this? Or be a bit more open minded about it? I think researchers are learning more and more about dog food, not only what is in the food but the bioavailability to the dog. I choose to have an open mind about the latest research, but sometimes fierce brand loyalties and preconceived notions get in the way. For example, I think some people will fight to the death to defend their brand and this can blind them to the latest research.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is so hard to find a good food made by a reputable company. I've been on the hunt to find a sensitive stomach food that does not contain chicken or poultry since I think he has issues with it.
He has been eating salmon and sweetpotato grainfree. However, the vet says that dogs with tummy issues need to have grain. And maybe the salmon does sit well with him.
It's day 5 of the meds and the horrible prescription food that contains chicken, pork and turkey. I think he is worse instead of better. Vet again tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
There's someone on this forum that use to work for a Dog Store that sold various dog foods. She LOVED!! Purina Pro saying that's what she fed her Havanese and that it was good dog food.

I don't know anything about Purina Pro but at lease one person on the forum thinks it's super good.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
It is so hard to find a good food made by a reputable company. I've been on the hunt to find a sensitive stomach food that does not contain chicken or poultry since I think he has issues with it.
He has been eating salmon and sweetpotato grainfree. However, the vet says that dogs with tummy issues need to have grain. And maybe the salmon does sit well with him.
It's day 5 of the meds and the horrible prescription food that contains chicken, pork and turkey. I think he is worse instead of better. Vet again tomorrow.
How you looked at Honest Kitchen which is FDA human grade dehydrated food? They have both whole grain and grain free food. White Fish along with the typical meat foods.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I think that there is a lot of confusion and misinformation about dog food and it is very difficult for us as consumers to know what is best. We all love our dogs and of course want to feel that we are feeding them the best that we can. However, sometimes fierce brand loyalties and preconceived notions get in our way. For example, I used to think that a raw homemade diet is best, however I have become more open minded to other forms of feeding and realize that there are pitfalls with any diet. I try to keep an open mind as to what to look for in dog food. For example, I brought up the subject of synthetic vitamins and minerals as an example. And I was impressed that two kibble manufacturers are implementing this. So do I want to dig my heels in and ignore this? Or be a bit more open minded about it? I think researchers are learning more and more about dog food, not only what is in the food but the bioavailability to the dog. I choose to have an open mind about the latest research, but sometimes fierce brand loyalties and preconceived notions get in the way. For example, I think some people will fight to the death to defend their brand and this can blind them to the latest research.
Absolutely. Right now I don't have a problem with the concept of synthetic ingredients (and I know this was just an example you used, I'm just borrowing it) but it doesn't mean I will always feel this way. Or that I won't come to believe certain synthetic products are problematic. On the other hand, changes in technology could also improve synthetic manufacturing and make some products more reliable than they are now. Or the weight of harvesting natural products vs. recreating them in a lab and all that both entail could change how I view these things. I completely agree it's about being open and continuing to learn. And not making these issues all or nothing. Things change.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Boo does take Purina ProPlan Fortiflora, a probiotic. From everything I have read, it seems to a high quality product. However, I would be hesitant to use any of their dog food products, given the history of recalls and low quality fillers used.

·
Sophie
980 Posts
I shamelessly LOVE Pro Plan. The research behind it is incredible, it is one of only a handful of foods formulated by boarded veterinary nutritionists. I used to be one of those staunchly against it and thought it was crap with a capital C, but the proof is in the putting and my dogs have done better on it than any of the large handful of other brands they have been on.

·
Arf! Arf!
2,800 Posts
I shamelessly LOVE Pro Plan. The research behind it is incredible, it is one of only a handful of foods formulated by boarded veterinary nutritionists. I used to be one of those staunchly against it and thought it was crap with a capital C, but the proof is in the putting and my dogs have done better on it than any of the large handful of other brands they have been on.
Feed your dog whatever you like because you are ultimately responsible for their health. I have used a pet food that my Ricky has been thriving on and loves for years and it is not Purina. Maybe he would thrive on Pro Plan too, but I am not willing to take that chance.

Purina was purchased by Nestle Corp. about 20 years ago. I believe that Nestle/Purina is one of the largest pet food companies today (if not the largest). During the intervening years, the Purina pet food group has had several recalls both mandatory and voluntary. A brief history is recounted in this article: https://www.petful.com/brands/purina/

There are a lot of good choices for dog food. Purina is not on my personal list of preferred dog food for a number of reasons. The OP should do their own research, talk to their trusted Vet, and make a decision for what is best for your dog.

Ricky's Popi

Reactions: juliav

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Our first Havanese were raised on Pro Plan, before so many choices of fancy foods came out. That was in the late '90's. They didn't live their whole lives on it, but some number of years.

I can't honestly say that those dogs suffered any ill effects from it, and they lived as long, healthy lives as the ones these days do.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,723 Posts
I choose other foods for my dogs that I believe are better for them. I have one dog for whom Purina is not an option as he cannot tolerate some of the ingredients in it, and his needs tend to direct most dog food choices in our house! But I know enough professional dog people with beautiful, healthy, 15-17 year old Havanese (and other breeds) eating Pro Plan to believe that it is such a terrible thing.

I tend to stay out of dog food debates because there are as many opinions as there are people on the forum!

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,906 Posts
I tend to stay out of dog food debates because there are as many opinions as there are people on the forum!
Smart woman...

I should follow this advice but I am not as smart as Karen.

I just wanted to add one thing to consider when feeding a corn based food. Corn is heavily sprayed with glysophate and is more prone to aflatoxins than other ingredients. Just something to consider. I am not saying the alternatives are not without problems but it is something to think about when choosing a food.

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,906 Posts
Our first Havanese were raised on Pro Plan, before so many choices of fancy foods came out. That was in the late '90's. They didn't live their whole lives on it, but some number of years.

I can't honestly say that those dogs suffered any ill effects from it, and they lived as long, healthy lives as the ones these days do.
The only problem is that the use of glysophate on corn, wheat and soy has skyrocketed since the 90's. This could have some impact on dogs consuming this food nowadays, even if the formula is the same.

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,906 Posts
The only problem is that the use of glysophate on corn, wheat and soy has skyrocketed since the 90's. This could have some impact on dogs consuming this food nowadays, even if the formula is the same.
I looked into glysophate in pet food a bit more and it looks like it is in grain free food also. I thought the food with grain would have more but I guess glysophate is pretty much everywhere in the food chain for pets and people. Anyway, I just wanted to clarify.

https://www.purrrfectlyholistic.com/the-truth-about-glyphosate-exposure-pet-food/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Recently, our vet wanted us to switch from the grain free kibble to food that does have grain. So I checked Dog Food Advisor and Purina Pro is one of the grain-inclusive food that they recommend. A while ago, I signed up for this website to get recall notices about dog foods. Also, our vet told me a while ago that the homemade food we were giving our dogs didn't have all the vitamins they need and she strongly suggested we switch to a commercial food.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 8 yr old lab eats Purina Pro Plan Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice, my 8 month old hav Jax loves it , when he refused to eat his food , I ended up switching him to the puppy version. He is thriving!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts