Havanese Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Member (Teresa)
659 Posts
Breeders like it too

Hello again Tere,
Back when I was in hyper research mode I saw many breeders who recommended Pro Plan on their websites. At one point I fed our dogs Purina Pro Plan Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Lamb & Oatmeal Formula Dry Dog Food but Jodie was still hacking. Then I switched to Earthborn Holistic Unrefined Roasted Lamb with Ancient Grains & Superfoods Dry Dog Food. That worked well for her, although the boys did fine with the Purina as well. It is pretty pricey though, sorry farschie.
Thirty years ago, our Golden lived to almost 16 being fed Iams lamb and rice. We had 2 small, clinically hyper, boys so I couldn't do a homemade diet. He was the perfect dog for our family and remained very healthy until 6 months before he passed. Just like people, every dog is different.
Kay O, how is your baby doing these days? I have a friend who has been active here in the past and her kiddo has IBD. She struggles with feeling guilty even though she loves her Hav to pieces and will do anything she can for her.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Kay O, so sorry for the belly woes of your little one. I wonder how old she was and is now and how her IBD was diagnosed?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Hello again Tere,
Back when I was in hyper research mode I saw many breeders who recommended Pro Plan on their websites. At one point I fed our dogs Purina Pro Plan Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Lamb & Oatmeal Formula Dry Dog Food but Jodie was still hacking. Then I switched to Earthborn Holistic Unrefined Roasted Lamb with Ancient Grains & Superfoods Dry Dog Food. That worked well for her, although the boys did fine with the Purina as well. It is pretty pricey though, sorry farschie.
Thirty years ago, our Golden lived to almost 16 being fed Iams lamb and rice. We had 2 small, clinically hyper, boys so I couldn't do a homemade diet. He was the perfect dog for our family and remained very healthy until 6 months before he passed. Just like people, every dog is different.
Kay O, how is your baby doing these days? I have a friend who has been active here in the past and her kiddo has IBD. She struggles with feeling guilty even though she loves her Hav to pieces and will do anything she can for her.
I finally found a food that I think will be good. Shadow is not a fussy eater at all. Despite his belly woes, he has never refused food(yet). I hope it agrees with him. Vet increased his Metronidazole dose yesterday and wants him to stay on Hills ID for a week. I think I will start the transition after the week of increased dose. It is pretty close to ID so I am hoping the transition will be easy and good.
The food I picked is Zignature Select Cuts Turkey. The vet said to do grains, no peas, not salmon. And I think I had issues with Earthborn puppy vantage(chicken) and the 1st. food I tried. So I am avoiding chicken.
Fingers crossed.

My healthest dog was a Bichon Frise, from a horrible puppy mill(1984). He ate Pedigree Mealtime plus hamburger patties, pizza crusts, had a slice of white bread toasted with butter for breakfast. He ate this for 17 years. I did have to switch his food his last year though but he was almost 19 when his little legs gave out. RIP the wonderful Casper! So you never know...

·
Member (Teresa)
659 Posts
19? Wow, Casper was a super hero!
Zignature is a great brand, my final choice was between Zignature Select Cuts Lamb & Lamb Meal and the Earthborn lamb with ancient grains. Zignature has meat as the first ingredient and the meal is specified as turkey. If it's labeled as just meat meal it's hard to know what it really is. If Jodie starts to react to the Earthborn then I'll switch her to Zignature. Ironically, the price on both brands is identical.
Cotton was also a rescue from a puppy mill and abused. He's now 11 and rolls around the house all day with Jodie who's only 2! Like you said, "So you never know..." I'll be sending happy and healthy thoughts to both of you💜

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Thank you for the suggestion of Earthborn. That would have fit the requirements too. I looked at 1000's of foods & missed it. I've talked to six people who consider themselves experts in pet food and they never mentioned it. The only reason it was so many people was that I went to 3 stores who said that they had the Zignature food I wanted and when I got there, no they don't carry the Select Cuts.
I should have just asked here!!! If for some reason, the Zignature doesn't sit well, this would be a great option!!! Thanks again and I'm happy to hear that your puppies are all doing well.

·
Member (Teresa)
659 Posts
Thank you, we have quite the amusing trio😋 I had the same issue with Earthborn. The feed store said they carried it but they only had the base products.Tthose have lamb meal as the first ingredient versus just lamb. Those products have canola oil versus sunflower oil which Zignature has also. Sunflower oil has more linoleic acid which isn't a huge issue but those types of differences are why our choices are a little pricey. However, sunflower oil has more iodine which might be an issue for some Pets. When it comes to feeding our dogs there is always a however...🙃
Have you heard back from your vet or do you have to wait until Monday? I hope Shadow is better soon for both of you, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Yes, the vet called back late Thursday finally. He upped the dose on Metronidazole from 1/4 to 1/2 of a 250 mg. tablet twice a day for a week, then back down to 1/4 tablet twice a day for a week. Plus the Hills ID Turkey. He didn't say when to start trying the new food.
Shadow seems a little weird on the higher dose.
Three Havanese?! I didn't realize you had 3!

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,880 Posts
Yes, the vet called back late Thursday finally. He upped the dose on Metronidazole from 1/4 to 1/2 of a 250 mg. tablet twice a day for a week, then back down to 1/4 tablet twice a day for a week. Plus the Hills ID Turkey. He didn't say when to start trying the new food.
Shadow seems a little weird on the higher dose.
Three Havanese?! I didn't realize you had 3!
I really hope Shadow is on the mend. I read up on the side effects of Metronidazole. It looks some dogs can have neurological side effects. I am wondering if that is what you are seeing in Shadow.

https://dogtime.com/dog-health/53249-metronidazole-dogs-uses-dosage-side-effects

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Possibly, but yesterday, he was acting the same. We were out for a walk and I was telling his best friend's father about it so he brought Bandit out to play with Shadow. Suddenly, he was back to his usual self. They played like lunatics.
I think he feels a bit off and plays on it.

·
Member (Teresa)
659 Posts
My friend's dog (Sophie) does the same thing. She'll run around and love playing with other dogs but then she regrets it later. I emailed her tonight and asked if she has any wisdom to share from what she did for her dog in the past.
Third time is a charm, right? We did not actively decide we wanted 3 but we're glad we have them. JoJo was only a 6 months from dying when we brought Jodie home. Our vet has refused to give me anymore time frames relating to life span. She's decided she's living with us when she gets old😆 I'll let you know if I get info from Sophie's Mom.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Shadow"s belly seems to be much better since upping the dose No gurgling, no burping, he pooped only twice yesterday. Kind of strange about his pooping though. Prior to this diarrhea, he would poop every time he was taken out. Not like he had to go out but I'd take him out before I was going somewhere for a quick pee and he would always poop. Never would he go for a walk and not poop. It was a rare outing that he didn't poop.
I've talked about this to my vet probably every visit and he was unconcerned! So things are looking good, I think. I can hardly wait to start the new food. The Hills ID smell turns my stomach. Vet says to keep him on ID for 2 more weeks.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts