Havanese Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
I have lived a number of years in Denmark and there, desexing (as it’s translated to in English) is not as prevalent as it is in this country. The country does not have a big unwanted dog population and it really is a personal decision even for owners who aren’t going to breed. Many owners simply choose not to especially for their boy pups.

Thoughts? I am not breeding mine. So I would not choose to not fix him for that reason. It does alter their personalities and behavior. For good and bad. Thoughts?
I found that neutering Ricky did not alter his personality, but certainly it can vary from dog to dog. Ricky is still everyone's favorite dog who meets him. I do not trust myself to make sure he would not impregnate a female...I'm just basically lazy. And besides now that he is neutered, I will sometimes look the other direction when he and a female are attracted to each other. It just depends on the situation. It was NOT acceptable to me when he started humping a Havanese female in front of a large crowd at the San Diego Meet the Breed show a couple of months ago. It was so embarrassing to me but Ricky was getting cheers!!!

So, I am in the camp of believing non-breeding males should be neutered.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts