Havanese Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!!
Bear is out 15.5 year Havanese - He has been one awesome Dog- great personality!
Recently he has been just peeing around the house without any warning, no barking to go out ect.
Even when we careful watch and make he does out regular he does this behavior !
Is this age related?
Do I try and retrain him like a puppy?
Just trying to understand a older dog and what to exspect.
Thanks

·
Registered
789 Posts
You might take a pee sample into the vet to rule out bladder stones/crystals, infections.
I've had 4 small, elderly dogs(Bichons) and none of them had accidents in the house except for 1. He had urinary crystals at age 4 then had bladder stones at age 9. Small male dogs are likely candidates for this. It's best to rule it out.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
My Boo is 19 going on 20. So, if you have questions about the aging process, feel free to message me. That said, I would take Bear to the vet for a full senior work up, if you have not done so recently. You need to rule out whether there is an early kidney issue or perhaps a urinary tract problem, which causes the excess urination. If you cannot find a physical explanation, it might just be an age related problem. A belly belt sometimes is a solution, if it does not bother Bear. Hope that you are able to find an answer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Greetings!!
Bear is out 15.5 year Havanese - He has been one awesome Dog- great personality!
Recently he has been just peeing around the house without any warning, no barking to go out ect.
Even when we careful watch and make he does out regular he does this behavior !
Is this age related?
Do I try and retrain him like a puppy?
Just trying to understand a older dog and what to exspect.
Thanks
I agree with Boo’s dad. Getting a good senior physical can rule out so many things. In my case, when my 13 yr. old Dusty started peeing like that, he ended up having diabetes. If that’s the case, and I hope not, you want to find out quickly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 14 year old who's been having many problems. One of them is Cushings Disease. As I understand it, although I've not experienced it, when Cushings remains untreated it too can lead to frequent urination in all the wrong places....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 14 year old who's been having many problems. One of them is Cushings Disease. As I understand it, although I've not experienced it, when Cushings remains untreated it too can lead to frequent urination in all the wrong places....
I also have a 13 1/2 yr. old with Cushings and Diabetes among other issues. His Cushings is under control and has been for a number of years. I remember Dusty having frequent urination when either the Cushings or Diabetes was out of control.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts