Havanese Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I found a small bump on Charlottes right hind leg. It’s the size of a nickel. She did not seemed bothered by it but I was worried. I then remembered that this is where she got her 3 yr rabies shot. She got the shot 10 days ago. Has anyone had this same side effect from the shot or vaccine. Any remedies.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Today I found a small bump on Charlottes right hind leg. It’s the size of a nickel. She did not seemed bothered by it but I was worried. I then remembered that this is where she got her 3 yr rabies shot. She got the shot 10 days ago. Has anyone had this same side effect from the shot or vaccine. Any remedies.
I haven't but I suppose it's not unheard-of. Talk to your vet. My GUESS is warm compresses, but I wouldn't do it without asking first.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,683 Posts
My yorkie got a huge lump bigger than a golf ball at his rabies injection site.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
My yorkie got a huge lump bigger than a golf ball at his rabies injection site.
Did you do anything for it? How long did it take to go down?

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,683 Posts
Did you do anything for it? How long did it take to go down?
I didn’t do anything for it but it took many months to go down. The vet acted like getting a lump was not unusual, however this was unusually large and took months to go away. i was quite scared and quit vaccinating him after that. I know a couple cats who developed sarcomas at the rabies injection site. This may not be common in dogs but I did not want to take the chance. i figured a pretty huge immune response triggered the lump and didn’t want to tempt fate.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
I didn’t do anything for it but it took many months to go down. The vet acted like getting a lump was not unusual, however this was unusually large and took months to go away. i was quite scared and quit vaccinating him after that. I know a couple cats who developed sarcomas at the rabies injection site. This may not be common in dogs but I did not want to take the chance. i figured a pretty huge immune response triggered the lump and didn’t want to tempt fate.
Yes, I know about the sarcomas in cats (which is why they ALWAYS put it in a hind leg). I don’t think they are as common in dogs, but I notice they do do they same thing, and always put it in a hind leg because dogs do better missing a hind leg in a worst case scenario…

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,683 Posts
Yes, I know about the sarcomas in cats (which is why they ALWAYS put it in a hind leg). I don’t think they are as common in dogs, but I notice they do do they same thing, and always put it in a hind leg because dogs do better missing a hind leg in a worst case scenario…
I am wondering if they have always given the rabies shot in the leg of dogs. My yorkie got his shot up in the shoulder area. Around that time a friend of mine had to have her cat’s leg amputated due to a sarcoma that developed at the rabies injection site so I was a little freaked out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I was just reading this thread, and felt JoJo’s back right leg (she got her rabies vax about 10 days ago) and she has a bump too! Not big, and doesn’t seem to bother her, but hoping it will go down.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,683 Posts
I was just reading this thread, and felt JoJo’s back right leg (she got her rabies vax about 10 days ago) and she has a bump too! Not big, and doesn’t seem to bother her, but hoping it will go down.
When my yorkie developed a lump at the injection site the vet told me it was not uncommon. However, it was uncommon to be so large and last for months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts