Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided that since people enjoyed following along with the journey of Panda's Litter, you might also enjoy following along on Ducky's journey as a show/performance prospect. Of course there will be a lot of overlap with raising a puppy to be a good, "solid citizen" pet puppy, so I hope that everyone can benefit from it.

I didn't know quite where to put it. I started to put it in the puppy section, but realized that the "puppy year" goes by in a flash, and is really just be beginning of a young dog's career. So I'm posting it here under "General". 🤷‍♀️

As many who followed our litter thread know, Ducky's last littermate left yesterday afternoon. The weaning pens were broken down, and a smaller pen was set up for Ducky in my office. This will be his nap spot, time-out spot and his "safe storage" spot when he needs to be left home alone. Right now, he is having a bit of a temper tantrum, as I put him in it for his morning nap for the first time without any siblings. But I do think it is important for him to learn to settle by himself. So, for now, I'm letting him cry it out.

*Note, I did go back and put a small crate in the pen for him to see if he'd prefer that to cuddle in. I positioned it against the wall, so it didn't give him any escape access! Panda also asked to go in with him, and I let her for now. They are BOTH adjusting to life without the other puppies!

Ducky has the run. of our large kitchen when he is awake, along with the "big dogs". This would be MUCH TOO MUCH SPACE if I had just brought him home from another breeder. But he grew up here, and has proven that he is trustworthy in this space and knows how to find and use the litter box reliably in this space.

The "toy cube" is NOT something I would run out and buy for a puppy you bring home from a breeder either. They are expensive, (meant for litters) and a 10 week old puppy is getting to the end of playing with it. But he is small and still likes it. And I have it, so he still gets to play with it!

I did put one of our big "couch" type dog cushions in the corner of the kitchen so he and Panda can comfortably lounge on it together!

He is sleeping upstairs with us (and the rest of the dogs!) in a small plastic crate on top of Kodi's crate, beside my bed. He's been a star. He has been up there for about a week, while I crate trained the rest of the puppies, and has mostly slept through the night, only getting up when one of the other puppies needed to get up. Last night he did start squeaking at around 5:00 and had to get up to poop, but then settled right back in, and slept until we all got up!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Good news... the temper tantrum lasted about 20 minutes, then he fell SOUND asleep! I KNEW he needed it!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is going to be a fun thread!

Is he bonding with either Kodi or Pixel yet?

Does he show any interest in nursing Panda?
He has always loved "Auntie Pixel", and as long as Dave isn't around, she likes to play with him. If Dave is around, she gets REALLY jealous. Kodi doesn't have much use for him, poor lad. ;)

I finally had to enforce the weaning. I was afraid that with only him left, if she bagged up too much, he, alone, wouldn't be able to relieve the pressure and she'd get in trouble. So over the last week, I started really reducing her food, and reducing her access to the puppies at "cuddle times", when they were most likely to want to nurse. She is playing with him non-stop when he is awake, which is lovely, but he's not trying to nurse, nor is she encouraging it.

·
Arf! Arf! Super Moderator
3,453 Posts
As some members on the list may not know, I have met Panda (and Kodi and Pixel). I am surprised how big Ducky is compared to Panda. Ricky is bigger than Panda but not by a whole lot. And I think Ducky is still the smallest in the litter?

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As some members on the list may not know, I have met Panda (and Kodi and Pixel). I am surprised how big Ducky is compared to Panda. Ricky is bigger than Panda but not by a whole lot. And I think Ducky is still the smallest in the litter?
WAY smaller! And the photos may make him look bigger than he is? At 10 1/2 weeks he just hit 4 lbs. She is 12 1/2.

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This morning's training session was stacking practice. I had two criteria to start, that he stand still and look at my finger. I am not yet worried about "how" he stands. Now that he is pretty reliably standing still and looking at my finger for a few seconds, I am working on touching his feet while he remains standing. Obviously, he's still having some trouble with this, but this is only the second time we've done this part. Once he will let me touch all 4 feet without moving, I'll start moving one foot at a time. When he lets me do THAT, then if he doesn't land himself in a good stack, (he's pretty well balanced, so he usually does) I can move whatever foot is needed to get a good stack.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next on the agenda were some errands... Ducky's first! The bank, where they fell in love with him, and he got cuddles from several staff members and he gave out tail wags and kisses in abundance, and then on to "Big Lots" a small cut-rate dept. store where I needed to pick up a few things, and that I know to be dog friendly. They wanted to know where on their shelves I'd found that cute little thing!

He rode in the car like a champ, not to be out-done by his sibs, who have all traveled well to their new homes! (and wore his new collar for the first time too!)

Yes, for those of you wondering, as a future show dog, Ducky will not be wearing a harness, because it would ruin his coat. HOWEVER, I will be VERY careful to train him VERY WELL, so the he does not pull on his neck or hurt his throat. If he is in any situation where that could happen, he will be carried! He actually won't wear a collar much either. But he needs to at least get used to it, so it was part of his training for today!

·
Tucker 2007-2020
6,345 Posts
This has been very interesting, Karen, and I especially loved watching the entire Table exercises to see how you work the clicker part of it. Well, I also liked knowing that you were able to bear for 20 minutes the "tantrum" over being alone for his nap, and that it didn't break your heart to hear Kodi's sorrow at not being involved with the Table and treats. I always felt guilty about that sort of thing, though I wouldn't give in. It didn't seem to bother you, and that was interesting and encouraging.
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Love this thread! Loved watching the stacking training and how you used treats and clicker. Are you letting him just nibble at a treat or giving the whole thing? I've seen them do something lie that at the Westminster show where it looks like they let them nibble but not eat the whole thing.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This has been very interesting, Karen, and I especially loved watching the entire Table exercises to see how you work the clicker part of it. Well, I also liked knowing that you were able to bear for 20 minutes the "tantrum" over being alone for his nap, and that it didn't break your heart to hear Kodi's sorrow at not being involved with the Table and treats. I always felt guilty about that sort of thing, though I wouldn't give in. It didn't seem to bother you, and that was interesting and encouraging.
Thank you!
LOL! If I wasn’t pretty immune to THAT nonsense I couldn’t train ANY of them… they ALL “complain“ when they think it should be “their” turn. And I DO make sure EVERYONE gets a turn, even if it’s short!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And this afternoon, Ducky is practicing staying home alone! He’s not thrilled… (I’m keeping an eye on him on the puppy cam, which is still set up) but Kodi and Pixel are gated in with him, and he will survive. Panda had a vet appointment (wellness, nothing wrong), and I didn’t want him at the vet’s office, even on the grass, and didn’t think he’d be any happier waiting in the car! Another good lesson to learn! Again, this would probably be too early to expect a puppy, new to the house to stay “alone” for a couple of hours, but Ducky has lived here all his life. He knows the environment has two adult, stable dogs to keep him company, and is in a comfortable, secure pen!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for the new “thread”! I was starting to feel puppy withdrawal with the end of Panda’s journal, but I can tell this one will be equally fascinating as Ducky learns all the new things as he grows up.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got home, ignored him, and put stuff away when I got home, then went to let the other dogs out of the office and get him. ...At which point he jumped in his water bowl to show me how MISERABLE he had been. But considering that there was very little water on the floor, and he wasn't wet other than his feet, I think that was all for my benefit. ;) He "recovered" in seconds.

I took him outside to play with Auntie Pixel while my cleaning guy (who was also here, but is NOT useful as a "puppy sitter") finished in the house. One PLEASANT side effect of being an "only puppy" is that he is all of a sudden interested in snuggling with me! I like that!

(for anyone who was wondering if his nose filled in all the way ;) )

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
482 Posts
I got home, ignored him, and put stuff away when I got home, then went to let the other dogs out of the office and get him. ...At which point he jumped in his water bowl to show me how MISERABLE he had been. But considering that there was very little water on the floor, and he wasn't wet other than his feet, I think that was all for my benefit. ;) He "recovered" in seconds.

I took him outside to play with Auntie Pixel while my cleaning guy (who was also here, but is NOT useful as a "puppy sitter") finished in the house. One PLEASANT side effect of being an "only puppy" is that he is all of a sudden interested in snuggling with me! I like that!

View attachment 174933

View attachment 174934

(for anyone who was wondering if his nose filled in all the way ;) )
View attachment 174935

View attachment 174936
❤ What a great post to wake up to on a rainy British summer day☔🌦

1 - 20 of 194 Posts