Havanese Forum banner
281 - 300 of 343 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
Mando had the same look of utter and complete non-contrition this morning when I caught him with a roll of toilet paper. One of my kids forgot to close the bathroom door and Mando promptly found his way to the new toilet paper stash. I should’ve taken a picture but couldn’t stop laughing as I cleaned up the mess.
ALWAYS grab the camera first! They are only puppies once! LOL!

Reactions: Mando's Mommy

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
It was a busy day for the Duckling!

We started getting our travel trailer ready for our first camping trip of the year! <gasp> REALLY late, but the late tax season, AND the puppies. followed by a motorcycle trip for Dave killed the spring season for us. Part of getting the trailer ready included adding a crate for Ducky... and, of course, he needed to make sure it was going to be comfy enough for him!

We've actually decided to downgrade Pixel's crate to this size too. Hers is ridiculously large for her (they are really ALL ridiculously large for Havanese! I think we THOUGHT we'd leave them in their crates more than we actually EVER do!!!) and the smaller crates will give us a bit more space to drop things on top of the crates when we come in the door.

The problem with these really big crates is that we mostly camp in the spring and fall, and they re SO big that they don't keep the dogs warm if the temps in the trailer drop. So while the idea of giving them more room seemed like a good one at the time, based on how we actually USE the trailer, it's not so good!

I also ordered matching crate covers for everyone and new crate pads that actually FIT the bottom crates, after years of using a mesh-mash of things that DON'T really fit, since we don't have ANY house crates that are the same size as these.

Then, after the trailer-opening up chores, we went to visit Dave's Mom. He's getting REALLY good at walking on leash. No pulling at all, all the way from the car, stopping for a pee break on command on the grass, and waiting nicely, even through the long sign-in/Covid screening at the front desk (where of course, he also got a fair amount of snuggling from staff ;) ) He climbed right up the two flights of carpeted stairs (a long way for a little guy... I was ready to carry him if he wanted me to, but he kept trucking) and then trotted nicely, with no pulling, down the hall to her apartment.

Ducky looks like he might have the makings of a nice little therapy dog! I've NEVER had a 5 month old puppy who was willing to just lie down quietly without even any reminders to be stroked by an elderly person. No teeth, no silliness, NOTHING! Just some gentle kisses while we talked for quite a while, in a VERY hot room!

Back in the hall, we ran into one of his Mom's neighbors, a lovely lady, who unfortunately spoke with a thick accent, was mostly deaf, and between that and my mask, our conversation was difficult. But she saw Ducky, and her eyes immediately started to fill with tears. I asked her if she's like to say Hi, and it was clear that she wanted to. So I picked him up to make it easier for her. He had already headed in her direction, and was "wagging" from head to tail. She buried her face in his fur, and you could just tell how happy he made her! She then looked at me and said, "I had a dog just like this! You know this breed is from Europe!"

I'm still a bit confused about this part. I told her he was a Havanese, and said that yes, there were Havanese in Europe too, but I don't think that was what she meant. But here, our communication broke down. (though not her delight in Ducky, or his in her!) I have been racking my brain trying to think what breed she meant. I have a friend who breeds Bolonka, but I don't think that could be it, because they have very curly hair... Ducky's is VERY straight right now! I am pretty sure there was another Eastern European breed during the Soviet days, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it. (And I don't remember if they had straighter coats) I'm wondering if maybe it was that breed she was talking about. Maybe Tom and Pam King will remember the breed.

Anyway, we all walked down to the elevator together, and because the two older ladies had Rollators, of course we went down that way. (Ducky isn't allowed to go down stairs yet anyway) Ducky has never been on an elevator yet, and he CERTAINLY has never been among a bunch of legs, wheels and metal Rollator legs! He and I got on last, because I'd held the door open. He trotted on as if he'd been doing this all his life! He did look around curiously, and looked to me for reassurance as the elevator started to move, but then he was fine. He trotted off at the bottom, then politely waited as I held the door for everyone else to get off.

We said a tearful goodbye to his new friend, and a more cheerful one to Dave's Mom. I want to find out from Dave's Mom what the lady's name is, and see if we can stop and say "hi" to her when we see Dave's Mom. It's pretty obvious that it would be very meaningful to her!

·
Registered
284 Posts
It was a busy day for the Duckling!

We started getting our travel trailer ready for our first camping trip of the year! <gasp> REALLY late, but the late tax season, AND the puppies. followed by a motorcycle trip for Dave killed the spring season for us. Part of getting the trailer ready included adding a crate for Ducky... and, of course, he needed to make sure it was going to be comfy enough for him!

View attachment 175593

View attachment 175594
We've actually decided to downgrade Pixel's crate to this size too. Hers is ridiculously large for her (they are really ALL ridiculously large for Havanese! I think we THOUGHT we'd leave them in their crates more than we actually EVER do!!!) and the smaller crates will give us a bit more space to drop things on top of the crates when we come in the door.

The problem with these really big crates is that we mostly camp in the spring and fall, and they re SO big that they don't keep the dogs warm if the temps in the trailer drop. So while the idea of giving them more room seemed like a good one at the time, based on how we actually USE the trailer, it's not so good!

I also ordered matching crate covers for everyone and new crate pads that actually FIT the bottom crates, after years of using a mesh-mash of things that DON'T really fit, since we don't have ANY house crates that are the same size as these.

Then, after the trailer-opening up chores, we went to visit Dave's Mom. He's getting REALLY good at walking on leash. No pulling at all, all the way from the car, stopping for a pee break on command on the grass, and waiting nicely, even through the long sign-in/Covid screening at the front desk (where of course, he also got a fair amount of snuggling from staff ;) ) He climbed right up the two flights of carpeted stairs (a long way for a little guy... I was ready to carry him if he wanted me to, but he kept trucking) and then trotted nicely, with no pulling, down the hall to her apartment.
View attachment 175595

Ducky looks like he might have the makings of a nice little therapy dog! I've NEVER had a 5 month old puppy who was willing to just lie down quietly without even any reminders to be stroked by an elderly person. No teeth, no silliness, NOTHING! Just some gentle kisses while we talked for quite a while, in a VERY hot room!
View attachment 175596

Back in the hall, we ran into one of his Mom's neighbors, a lovely lady, who unfortunately spoke with a thick accent, was mostly deaf, and between that and my mask, our conversation was difficult. But she saw Ducky, and her eyes immediately started to fill with tears. I asked her if she's like to say Hi, and it was clear that she wanted to. So I picked him up to make it easier for her. He had already headed in her direction, and was "wagging" from head to tail. She buried her face in his fur, and you could just tell how happy he made her! She then looked at me and said, "I had a dog just like this! You know this breed is from Europe!"

I'm still a bit confused about this part. I told her he was a Havanese, and said that yes, there were Havanese in Europe too, but I don't think that was what she meant. But here, our communication broke down. (though not her delight in Ducky, or his in her!) I have been racking my brain trying to think what breed she meant. I have a friend who breeds Bolonka, but I don't think that could be it, because they have very curly hair... Ducky's is VERY straight right now! I am pretty sure there was another Eastern European breed during the Soviet days, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it. (And I don't remember if they had straighter coats) I'm wondering if maybe it was that breed she was talking about. Maybe Tom and Pam King will remember the breed.

Anyway, we all walked down to the elevator together, and because the two older ladies had Rollators, of course we went down that way. (Ducky isn't allowed to go down stairs yet anyway) Ducky has never been on an elevator yet, and he CERTAINLY has never been among a bunch of legs, wheels and metal Rollator legs! He and I got on last, because I'd held the door open. He trotted on as if he'd been doing this all his life! He did look around curiously, and looked to me for reassurance as the elevator started to move, but then he was fine. He trotted off at the bottom, then politely waited as I held the door for everyone else to get off.

We said a tearful goodbye to his new friend, and a more cheerful one to Dave's Mom. I want to find out from Dave's Mom what the lady's name is, and see if we can stop and say "hi" to her when we see Dave's Mom. It's pretty obvious that it would be very meaningful to her!
Wow he DOES sound like a little therapy dog in the making!! What a sweet boy!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Wow he DOES sound like a little therapy dog in the making!! What a sweet boy!
He continues to amaze me every day! That he can settle like this, but also has the play and toy drive that he has, and willingness to TUG... HARD during his work sessions with me is just amazing!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
What a heartwarming experience for all. Hope Ducky gets to visit again and put smiles on everyone's faces.:):)
I'm sure he will! Kodi is a regular visitor to Dave's Mom... Not quite as polite, though... He walks in, walks over to her refrigerator and says, "WHERE ARE MY BLUEBERRIES!?!?" (she keeps a stash of frozen ones, just for him ;) ) Panda is more like Ducky, and loves to snuggle with her, but she's an adult, and it's more expected. Pixel? Well, she'd rather snuggle with her daddy, though she'll put up with a pat from other people! LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
A lot of the Bolonka on Instagram look exactly like Havanese, just smaller, with silky coats. But it is Instagram, maybe they are styling their coats! When I was learning about Bolonka I noticed that the pictures of them on Instagram, mostly in Germany, look much more Havanese-like than the pictures of them that come up in other online searches. Even the ones who look more curly remind me of Sundance when he air dries. Sometimes its hard to tell them apart! But it seems like there’s more variation in their face shape when they’re very young or very small in Bolonka. Not sure Instagram is the best place to be making these observations, though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
He continues to amaze me every day! That he can settle like this, but also has the play and toy drive that he has, and willingness to TUG... HARD during his work sessions with me is just amazing!
Sounds like he is truly the perfect dog for you and can’t wait to see how he continues to blossom!. Good thing it was so easy to get him, right? :LOL:

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
A lot of the Bolonka on Instagram look exactly like Havanese, just smaller, with silky coats. But it is Instagram, maybe they are styling their coats! When I was learning about Bolonka I noticed that the pictures of them on Instagram, mostly in Germany, look much more Havanese-like than the pictures of them that come up in other online searches. Even the ones who look more curly remind me of Sundance when he air dries. Sometimes its hard to tell them apart! But it seems like there’s more variation in their face shape when they’re very young or very small in Bolonka. Not sure Instagram is the best place to be making these observations, though.
Here is a Bolonka show dog belonging to a friend of mine. She breeds them. They are SUPPOSED to have culver coats. I think you probably CAN blow the curl out of their coats the way you can with a Havanese, but that's not what they are supposed to look like. They also supposed to
Sounds like he is truly the perfect dog for you and can’t wait to see how he continues to blossom!. Good thing it was so easy to get him, right? :LOL:
have rounder eyes and shorter muzzles... much more "toy" looking to my eye. And a squarer outline.

This is another one of hers:

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
LOL!!! Dave regularly reminds me that he is the most expensive dog we've ever had!

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
In my prior untrained eye, I think the photos of the Bolonka could easily be confused with a Havanese. The coat looks like Willow when she has been out in the misty rain and not combed out!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
In my prior untrained eye, I think the photos of the Bolonka could easily be confused with a Havanese. The coat looks like Willow when she has been out in the misty rain and not combed out!
Ha! True!

I talked to my friend who breeds them, and she said that actually in Soviet days, ANY small fluffy lap dog was considered a "Bolonka", and many of them had less curly coats. So it is ENTIRELY possible that the lady was thinking that he was a Bolonka!

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Here is a Bolonka show dog belonging to a friend of mine. She breeds them. They are SUPPOSED to have culver coats. I think you probably CAN blow the curl out of their coats the way you can with a Havanese, but that's not what they are supposed to look like. They also supposed to

have rounder eyes and shorter muzzles... much more "toy" looking to my eye. And a squarer outline. View attachment 175604

This is another one of hers:
View attachment 175605
They are so cute! Interesting about the coat. When I very first began learning about Bolonka a few years ago, all of the pictures from the few breeders in the U.S. looked exactly as you describe, very similar to Havanese but with more petite faces, and more curl to their coat, though I wouldn’t call it curly. When I started coming across Bolonka on Instagram more recently I couldn’t tell some of them apart from Havanese! Maybe grooming trends in different parts of the world, and Instagram filters, make a difference. I can definitely see how someone could confuse a Bolonka and a Havanese puppy! Especially if Ducky is more petite. I hope you get a chance to hear more about her dog story one day!

I read a while ago that Bolonka are the closest breed genetically to Havanese, closer than Bichons, although I don’t know what genetic data it’s based on. It just adds more mystery!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
One day short of 5 months, and... This happened...

I'm taking bets on how long it stays in. ;)

...And I realized I'm going to have to get some tan elastics! I only have black and pink! :ROFLMAO:

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 · (Edited)
You're good it matches his nose😄
LOL!

His halo was a little askew by bed time, but still there! But he said his brain hurt, so I took out for him! LOL!

Ducky also got a pedicure today… I love adorable, clean, neat feet! ❤

Didn’t get the adorable feet in there! LOL!

·
Registered
284 Posts
He looks great! I can’t believe how grown up and handsome he’s looking! At what age do you hope to start showing him?

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
He looks great! I can’t believe how grown up and handsome he’s looking! At what age do you hope to start showing him?
Technically, he could starts showing at 6 months. Unfortunately, because I have no immunity to Covid, (yes, I’m vaccinated, but I have no antibodies) and even vaccinated people can pass the Delta variant to me, I have no idea when I’ll be able to show him. I COULD send him off with a handler, but I REALLY don’t want to do that…

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Technically, he could starts showing at 6 months. Unfortunately, because I have no immunity to Covid, (yes, I’m vaccinated, but I have no antibodies) and even vaccinated people can pass the Delta variant to me, I have no idea when I’ll be able to show him. I COULD send him off with a handler, but I REALLY don’t want to do that…
I have been confused about the antibodies because there are news articles that say antibody testing isn’t a clear indicator of protection, but the recommendation to get a third vaccination is based on studies of antibody testing. Did you do the antibody testing through your doctor?

281 - 300 of 343 Posts