Havanese Forum banner
421 - 439 of 439 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 ·
Mama and son, waiting for me to come to bed. Could the message be any clearer?
Dog Plant Vertebrate Picture frame Carnivore

·
Registered
620 Posts
THIS is what happens EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT… for at least half an hour, often longer. I will only subject you to about a minute of it.

Panda USED to get upset about it. Now she just rolls her eyes and stalks off… UNLESS they start it on the bed. Then all bets are off. Mama dog is NOT having THAT! And she goes after Kodi with a ROAR! He then comes slinking over to me like a whipped puppy. I tell him, “Oh well! I TOLD you there’s no fooling around on the bed!” …and everyone lays down! :ROFLMAO:
I could happily watch the full half an hour 🥰

So pleased Ducky is back to feeling “fighting fit” looks like Uncle Kodi is happy about it too😊

What did Panda make of Ducky being poorly?😕

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 ·
I could happily watch the full half an hour 🥰

So pleased Ducky is back to feeling “fighting fit” looks like Uncle Kodi is happy about it too😊

What did Panda make of Ducky being poorly?😕
I don't think she really noticed. She NOTICES when he and Uncle Kodi play to rough! She takes a VERY dim view of that!!! LOL!

·
Member (Teresa)
894 Posts
THIS is what happens EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT… for at least half an hour, often longer. I will only subject you to about a minute of it.

Panda USED to get upset about it. Now she just rolls her eyes and stalks off… UNLESS they start it on the bed. Then all bets are off. Mama dog is NOT having THAT! And she goes after Kodi with a ROAR! He then comes slinking over to me like a whipped puppy. I tell him, “Oh well! I TOLD you there’s no fooling around on the bed!” …and everyone lays down! :ROFLMAO:
That is so Cotton and Jodie. I want a puppy! I miss my Happy Hopp'n Havanese Herd ☹ Jodie will be 3 in in two months and ironically, I just received an email from her breeder asking if she can use me as a reference. She also wanted to tell me they'll be having 3 litters next spring😋 In September I said I wanted a puppy for my birthday yet, there are still only 2 dogs in this house 😆
Ducky is sooo cute❣ It's so much fun to watch him grow and see your 4 babies together.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 ·
Oh my that is so Cotton and Jodie. I want a puppy! I miss my Happy Hopp'n Havanese Herd ☹ Jodie will be 3 in in two months and ironically, I just received an email from her breeder asking if she can use me as a reference. She also wanted to tell me they'll be having 3 litters next spring😋 September 20th I said I wanted a puppy for my birthday yet, there are still only 2 dogs in this house 😆
Well, then... I think the time is just about right!!! And WE all are ready to watch you raise another puppy!!! 💕

·
Member (Teresa)
894 Posts
Well, then... I think the time is just about right!!! And WE all are ready to watch you raise another puppy!!! 💕
I keep telling Ed that if you can handle 4 I can certainly 3-right? 😋 Actually he won't me back, he teases me but as soon as I'm ready he'll be on board so... Jodie really wants a puppy too, she told me 😆

·
Member (Teresa)
894 Posts
I keep telling Ed that if you can handle 4 I can certainly 3-right? 😋 Actually he won't me back, he teases me but as soon as I'm ready he'll be on board so... Jodie really wants a puppy too, she told me 😆
Hmmm, "Actually he won't me back." Well that's gibberish.😆 I think I meant he won't hold me back. I'm seeing my doctor this week to discuss my new pain medication and getting a child dose of Pfizer to see if I still react. If those 2 things check out-it's puppy time! I really miss having 3 little hair balls running around 😋 I've gone back to putting alarms on my phone for everything, even snacks. Having Cotton and JoJo on a clear schedule really helped with Jodie. Especially with potty training and obedience. We still have everything we need for that and gates, puppy harnesses, extra beds etc.
However, when that time comes I may be asking you, and the forum, more questions every other day!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Hmmm, "Actually he won't me back." Well that's gibberish.😆 I think I meant he won't hold me back. I'm seeing my doctor this week to discuss my new pain medication and getting a child dose of Pfizer to see if I still react. If those 2 things check out-it's puppy time! I really miss having 3 little hair balls running around 😋 I've gone back to putting alarms on my phone for everything, even snacks. Having Cotton and JoJo on a clear schedule really helped with Jodie. Especially with potty training and obedience. We still have everything we need for that and gates, puppy harnesses, extra beds etc.
However, when that time comes I may be asking you, and the forum, more questions every other day!
I really really wanted a second one - but after being back in the US for the last (almost) year and having Uncle Duncan with us every day AND cousin Finley some days (and going back and forth to the vet with Perry - which underscored how easy we can do stuff with one - just throw him in his travel bag if we need to pop into a restaurant or store), I realize that I'm happy with just one! Also glad that we didn't get one because the CDC ban is making life very difficult and would make it even harder with two! So while I sometimes still wish we had a second one, I think we're going to stay a one dog traveling (hopefully again soon!) family - at least for a while.

·
Member (Teresa)
894 Posts
I really really wanted a second one - but after being back in the US for the last (almost) year and having Uncle Duncan with us every day AND cousin Finley some days (and going back and forth to the vet with Perry - which underscored how easy we can do stuff with one - just throw him in his travel bag if we need to pop into a restaurant or store), I realize that I'm happy with just one! Also glad that we didn't get one because the CDC ban is making life very difficult and would make it even harder with two! So while I sometimes still wish we had a second one, I think we're going to stay a one dog traveling (hopefully again soon!) family - at least for a while.
I agree, when we were raising high energy boys (clinical ADHD for both) life was hectic and there was NO way we could have had more than one dog. Now, i'm retired (early) and because of chronic pain I will never be able to return to work. I've been mostly home bound since 2015 and have adjusted to my life without the career I loved and the ability to travel like I did previously. When got Jodie we were certain our oldest was on his way out but he ended up living for 2 more years! Even with blindness, deafness, kidney disease and canine dementia I was content taking care of everything and teaching Jodie how to help. She became his seeing eye dog 😋
Those are good points Melissa and I commend you on knowing what you do and don't want right now. Dogs are family members and should never be side lined. It is, or should be, a massive commitment. One very important aspect is dog sitting. We have 3, although our first choice has always been available so far. When we travel within driving distance we rent minivans and remove the middle seats. Ed has a safety contraption he made to keep the dogs from being exposed to air bags or flying forward. Traveling with dogs and kids is completely different. I tried putting a leash on my son and forcing him to potty outside but it really upset people😆
I wish more dog owners would be as conscientious as you in deciding on multiple dogs. All the dogs in your life are very fortunate to have you. My Dad and his wife took their Havanese in his carrier everywhere-including movie theaters. Do you have any recent pictures, or did I miss some? Happy trails in the future, near future.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I agree, when we were raising high energy boys (clinical ADHD for both) life was hectic and there was NO way we could have had more than one dog. Now, i'm retired (early) and because of chronic pain I will never be able to return to work. I've been mostly home bound since 2015 and have adjusted to my life without the career I loved and the ability to travel like I did previously. When got Jodie we were certain our oldest was on his way out but he ended up living for 2 more years! Even with blindness, deafness, kidney disease and canine dementia I was content taking care of everything and teaching Jodie how to help. She became his seeing eye dog 😋
Those are good points Melissa and I commend you on knowing what you do and don't want right now. Dogs are family members and should never be side lined. It is, or should be, a massive commitment. One very important aspect is dog sitting. We have 3, although our first choice has always been available so far. When we travel within driving distance we rent minivans and remove the middle seats. Ed has a safety contraption he made to keep the dogs from being exposed to air bags or flying forward. Traveling with dogs and kids is completely different. I tried putting a leash on my son and forcing him to potty outside but it really upset people😆
I wish more dog owners would be as conscientious as you in deciding on multiple dogs. All the dogs in your life are very fortunate to have you. My Dad and his wife took their Havanese in his carrier everywhere-including movie theaters. Do you have any recent pictures, or did I miss some? Happy trails in the future, near future.
I can definitely relate to the pet sitting part. When we were in Kampala it was easy - our housekeeper would stay at the house with Perry when we were traveling somewhere where he couldn't easily go, he traveled with us when we came back to the US, and when we were in the US, my Mom would look after him if we were away for a few days or even just out for the whole day. Now that we're in the US for a while, and with Mom gone, it's a lot harder. We used cousin Finley's dog walker for the first time this week (I was not comfortable doing that while Perry was still on restrictions, but now that he's not I felt it was safe) - and it went well - Perry was definitely suspicious (she sent me pics to show that he was having a good time - but I could tell that he was a little uncertain in them), but she's only a day person, not an overnight one. Fin's mom works long hours and I haven't wanted to ask her to take Perry overnight, so we're in a bit of a bind if we want to go anywhere and want to leave him home right now. Plus, the CDC restrictions on certain countries means that if we do start traveling again (like, for instance, going to visit family in Ethiopia or for short term overseas assignments) I can't just take him with us because he wouldn't be able to come back into the US - and if we got something long-term then I'd have to leave him with a sitter there when we would travel back for vacations.

Just when you think you've dealt with all the issues (in choosing a dog that can travel in cabin, etc.) the CDC has made my life a lot more complicated than it already was traveling with a dog!

Posting pics on Perry's leg surgery thread :)

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
I should have taken phots before taking him off to the vet, but I forgot! Ducky is off to the vet to have his two retained top canines removed this morning! Poor baby! They MIGHT have come out eventually on his own, but he has a beautiful bite, and they weren’t budging. The vet and I just didn’t want to take a chance of those baby teeth messing up his adult bite. So out they come!

They will call me later when he’s finished! ❤

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #433 ·
Ducky is home... along with his teeth!

Look at the roots on the upper ones in comparison to the lower one which came out on it's own. (never found the other one!)
Wood Sky Natural material Tints and shades Astronomical object

I think it's pretty clear that these had no intention of giving up any time soon!

He's feeling a bit woozy from the anesthesia, but his mouth doesn't seem to be bothering him. He does have stitches, but they will dissolve on their own. Soft food only for 2 weeks!
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Snout

They did a nice job on his IV... You can JUST barely see where it was... and he hasn't even been combed out. Good thing, because he's back in the show ring in 10 days!!!
Comfort Gesture Grey Finger Companion dog

He was sent home with Metacam and Arnica to control both pain and any swelling/inflammation. My guess is that by tomorrow morning he'll be bouncing around again like nothing happened!

·
Registered
437 Posts

Look at the roots on the upper ones in comparison to the lower one which came out on it's own. (never found the other one!)
View attachment 176276

I think it's pretty clear that these had no intention of giving up any time soon!

He's feeling a bit woozy from the anesthesia, but his mouth doesn't seem to be bothering him. He does have stitches, but they will dissolve on their own. Soft food only for 2 weeks!
View attachment 176277

They did a nice job on his IV... You can JUST barely see where it was... and he hasn't even been combed out. Good thing, because he's back in the show ring in 10 days!!!
View attachment 176278

He was sent home with Metacam and Arnica to control both pain and any swelling/inflammation. My guess is that by tomorrow morning he'll be bouncing around again like nothing happened!
Those are some big teeth!! Jolene just lost her first couple of top incisors, but we haven’t found them yet (they’re SO tiny!)

I hope he’s feeling better in no time… and I’m sure he won’t object to soft food for all his meals for a while!!

·
Registered
379 Posts

View attachment 176276

View attachment 176277

View attachment 176278

Thanks for sharing this, Karen! I am so glad to see Ducky is doing well (hopefully still is 🤞) and wow the roots on those teeth! Chase has his appt on 12/1 to have his 2 canine removed. Same deal here not budging! We’re using the dental vet in Boxborough. Did you as well?

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 ·
Those are some big teeth!! Jolene just lost her first couple of top incisors, but we haven’t found them yet (they’re SO tiny!)

I hope he’s feeling better in no time… and I’m sure he won’t object to soft food for all his meals for a while!!
It's pretty common not to find incisors... I think they often just swallow them. We occasionally heard Ducky crushing something that sounded like he was chewing ice. I think those were baby teeth! LOL!

He gets Nom Nom at night anyway, and so as not to mess up our orders, He's getting Stella and Chewy's for breakfast. Nope! No complaints! LOL!

And he seems right as rain again this morning! I AM going to do a LOT of work with him over the next 10 days having him put his chin in my hand and letting me lift his lips for his mouth exam for the show ring, since we are showing again right after Thanksgiving! I don't want his last experience with his mouth to have been painful and have a rodeo with him on the table!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #437 ·
Thanks for sharing this, Karen! I am so glad to see Ducky is doing well (hopefully still is 🤞) and wow the roots on those teeth! Chase has his appt on 12/1 to have his 2 canine removed. Same deal here not budging! We’re using the dental vet in Boxborough. Did you as well?
No... Dr. Papscoe at Integrative did it. Check prices... they might be a lot cheaper...

Reactions: LeleRF

·
Metrowest, MA
29,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #438 ·
Toe beans and fluff last night… at almost 8 months, Ducky is getting VERY fluffy. This pose always melts my heart!
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Working animal

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
That frog pose is so sweet! Shama never has assumed that pose. (Do you like how I'm avoiding using the verb "lie" in the past tense? Fine, the teacher in me can't stop here. She never lies that way. When she was little, she never lay that way. In her entire life, she has never lain that way. There! I hope you enjoyed your grammar lesson.)
💚💛🧡💜💙

421 - 439 of 439 Posts