Havanese Forum banner
621 - 640 of 671 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
31,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #623 ·
I think Ducky got bored waiting during Panda's class today... either that or he was TOTALLY exhausted after his own class!
😉

(in case you aren't sure what you are looking at, that little black spot UNDER the crate pad is his nose...)

Automotive lighting Grille Mesh Automotive exterior Gas

·
Metrowest, MA
31,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #625 ·
That's cute with Ducky under the pad. Willow does that too in her crate. She has a big fluffy pillow on top of the pad and she'll burrow under the pillow. I wonder if they think they are hiding.
I remember you posting a photo of that! I don't think he's hiding... I think he just thinks it's comfy and warm! If it's very warm out, he doesn't do it.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #626 ·
Here is my fancy show dog. He has been enjoying the sprinkler. What can I say? So much for the “poor show dog who lives his life in a crate or a pen to save his coat” :ROFLMAO:

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Outdoor furniture

Then… When he came in and decided he was chilly… here is where he has been spending the evening!
Dog Furniture Comfort Dog breed Window

·
Cuba and Tycho
1,121 Posts
Just caught up on the last twenty pages or so of Ducky’s Story; so full of interesting and helpful and heartwarming information and pictures, Karen. What stars you both are. Lovely seeing the progression in both Ducky’s performance skills and his looks.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #629 ·
Just caught up on the last twenty pages or so of Ducky’s Story; so full of interesting and helpful and heartwarming information and pictures, Karen. What stars you both are. Lovely seeing the progression in both Ducky’s performance skills and his looks.
Thank you, Lalla! ❤. He has been a true joy! Made all the sweeter because I bred him myself, and raised him from birth! While I would not wish it on anyone, the bond with a puppy that you have bottle fed is just indescribable!

·
Metrowest, MA
31,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #631 ·
What Dremel do you use for Ducky’s nails?
This is the one I used for my dogs for years, and is probably most appropriate for people with one or two dogs:

Recently, I bought this corded model, because I got tired of the batteries running out of juice on the smaller one:

But it's a lot heavier in the hand, and probably over-kill unless you are doing a LOT of dogs.

Reactions: skubler

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is the one I used for my dogs for years, and is probably most appropriate for people with one or two dogs:

Recently, I bought this corded model, because I got tired of the batteries running out of juice on the smaller one:

But it's a lot heavier in the hand, and probably over-kill unless you are doing a LOT of dogs.
I was asking because I have 3 dremels, the problem in using them on Maggie is the she wiggles so much and that has caused the dremel to catch her hair and actually rip out small clumps of hair.
Of course her back story is that her breeder never handled the puppies at all and she did not like being touched or held at all when I got her 😢😢😭. We had only had her a week when Covid lockdowns went into place. She is now the typical Velcro Havanese.
She is afraid of people. She only warms up to them after she has been around them a few times. She loves to visit our grown children and the grandkids and even loves all her canine “cousins”. She travels in the car like a champ. She loves being groomed, hates baths of course. When she has gone to a groomer, she behaves perfectly. She’s very smart, learns quickly, knows all of her commands.
It‘s her feet that is the grooming issue for me. She has what I consider to be panic attacks where she looses control and poops and pees all over the table, even at the Vets for a nail trim. I have purchased so many scissor nail trimmers that I’ve lost count.
Anyway, I’ve gotten way off topic here 😄🤣😂.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #634 ·
I was asking because I have 3 dremels, the problem in using them on Maggie is the she wiggles so much and that has caused the dremel to catch her hair and actually rip out small clumps of hair.
Of course her back story is that her breeder never handled the puppies at all and she did not like being touched or held at all when I got her 😢😢😭. We had only had her a week when Covid lockdowns went into place. She is now the typical Velcro Havanese.
She is afraid of people. She only warms up to them after she has been around them a few times. She loves to visit our grown children and the grandkids and even loves all her canine “cousins”. She travels in the car like a champ. She loves being groomed, hates baths of course. When she has gone to a groomer, she behaves perfectly. She’s very smart, learns quickly, knows all of her commands.
It‘s her feet that is the grooming issue for me. She has what I consider to be panic attacks where she looses control and poops and pees all over the table, even at the Vets for a nail trim. I have purchased so many scissor nail trimmers that I’ve lost count.
Anyway, I’ve gotten way off topic here 😄🤣😂.
You can't teach cooperative care in the midst of "getting the job done". If she is THAT afraid, the ONLY way to get her over that is to do DAILY, I would start by simply touching the Dremel to her, TURNED OFF, while feeding her cookies. Tiny, TINY bits, but daily. building up a bit at a time. If you want to fix this problem, you can, but it will take a lot of time and patience. It might be helpful to find a local positive based trainer to help you get started with it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can't teach cooperative care in the midst of "getting the job done". If she is THAT afraid, the ONLY way to get her over that is to do DAILY, I would start by simply touching the Dremel to her, TURNED OFF, while feeding her cookies. Tiny, TINY bits, but daily. building up a bit at a time. If you want to fix this problem, you can, but it will take a lot of time and patience. It might be helpful to find a local positive based trainer to help you get started with it.
I only tried the dremel once when the hair pull happened and only tried it after introducing it to her completely turned off. Let her sniff it for three days, and fed cookies. Rubbed it all over her paying special attention to touching her feet with it, again while it was turned off and rewarding her. Only after she showed no fear of it being on, without even a collet in it, did I attempt a quick touch to a nail. She was good with that, so later we tried with the sanding band, again just a quick touch to her nail. That is when she jumped and wound about 5 strands of hair in it. I felt so bad I was in tears that I had scared and hurt my baby. My husband says I was more traumatized than she was, but I can’t bring myself to possibly scare her again.

She got a bath today and got all pretty. She loves laying there under the dryer while I brush her out. While I was doing her pads i quickly trimmed one nail and she didn’t even notice. Baby steps? LOL Slow and steady just may win this one!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here is my fancy show dog. He has been enjoying the sprinkler. What can I say? So much for the “poor show dog who lives his life in a crate or a pen to save his coat” :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 177969

Then… When he came in and decided he was chilly… here is where he has been spending the evening!
View attachment 177970
Awww, poor, poor, Ducky….he’s just SO mistreated 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣. He is adorable after his sprinkler session and could melt the coldest of hearts with his cuddly pose and snuggle me expression!

·
Metrowest, MA
31,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #637 ·
I only tried the dremel once when the hair pull happened and only tried it after introducing it to her completely turned off. Let her sniff it for three days, and fed cookies. Rubbed it all over her paying special attention to touching her feet with it, again while it was turned off and rewarding her. Only after she showed no fear of it being on, without even a collet in it, did I attempt a quick touch to a nail. She was good with that, so later we tried with the sanding band, again just a quick touch to her nail. That is when she jumped and wound about 5 strands of hair in it. I felt so bad I was in tears that I had scared and hurt my baby. My husband says I was more traumatized than she was, but I can’t bring myself to possibly scare her again.

She got a bath today and got all pretty. She loves laying there under the dryer while I brush her out. While I was doing her pads i quickly trimmed one nail and she didn’t even notice. Baby steps? LOL Slow and steady just may win this one!
I’m a bit confused… I thought you said she was so scared that she released her bowels when anyone did her nails?

And this is a different problem than YOU learning to use the Dremel properly so that you don’t get hair caught. I do have a video, showing how to hold the dog properly to avoid getting hair in the dremel, but it will only work for a dog who is already used to the dremel and not afraid. But I should reassure you that the dremel will STOP if hair gets caught in it, allowing you to turn it off, and get the hair untangled. Even that isn’t the end of the world, but obviously you don’t want to do it to a frightened dog.

Reactions: skubler

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’m a bit confused… I thought you said she was so scared that she released her bowels when anyone did her nails?

And this is a different problem than YOU learning to use the Dremel properly so that you don’t get hair caught. I do have a video, showing how to hold the dog properly to avoid getting hair in the dremel, but it will only work for a dog who is already used to the dremel and not afraid. But I should reassure you that the dremel will STOP if hair gets caught in it, allowing you to turn it off, and get the hair untangled. Even that isn’t the end of the world, but obviously you don’t want to do it to a frightened dog.
Yes, that is what the Vet said was happening when he would clip her nails.

Let me back up a bit. We lived in South Carolina all of her life, but would come home here to New York State for the summer every year. She had a southern vet and a northern vet. Because she was so difficult about having her feet touched, and I wasn’t able to successfully clip her nails, I took her to the vet to have it done. This was in the south. The techs brought her back out to me in the car (Covid) and said that she had lost control of her bladder and bowels. They also told me that the Vet said to sedate/tranquilize her 2 hours prior to the next nail trim and offered me 2 bottles of pills.

I wasn’t about to jump right in and sedate her, to me personally, there must be another way. The next month we were up here in NY. Her vet here uses the towel around her and over her head and just clips them very fast so she isn’t restrained too long. She never nips or bites, just screams like she’s being tortured and thrashes.

And yes, the dremel did stop when it grabbed the hair. I was using a cordless one. I have always clipped and dremeled all my dogs all my life. Maggie, I think, just needs for me to go slower and make it a more positive experience. Like I said, yesterday was a small success and she got lots of cookies when her spa session was done.

·
Registered
102 Posts

I have neglected to thank you for your patience and priceless advice. You have been so helpful and I can’t thank you enough. I would love to see the video on doing feet. Your experience and knowledge is such a valuable asset.

·
Registered
102 Posts
THIS brought a bit of a tear to my eye… Kodi playing with Ducky and Panda for the very first time since the litter was born. In the beginning, of course, the “dragon mama” wouldn’t let him NEAR the puppies. Then, as she got more relaxed about the puppies, we know know, he was fewling worse and worse from his tick infection. He is FINALLY finished with a month’s worth of Doxy, and feeling good enough to want to PLAY!!! THAT makes me VERY happy!!! ❤

This was so heartwarming to see! Definitely a melt you into a puddle moment 🥲

621 - 640 of 671 Posts