Havanese Forum banner
641 - 660 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
He is really nicely balanced. SO FAR, he hasn’t gone through an “ugly duckling” stage. (And just because I SAID that, next week, he’ll be a mess! LOL!) One of the reasons I chose him to keep is that he is one of those puppies that you just plonk him down on the table, and he just lands himself in a balanced stack… no need to mess with his feet or square him up.
He is a natural born showman inside a beautiful show dog 🥰.

·
Registered
58 Posts
LOL!

His halo was a little askew by bed time, but still there! But he said his brain hurt, so I took out for him! LOL!

View attachment 175650

Ducky also got a pedicure today… I love adorable, clean, neat feet! ❤

Didn’t get the adorable feet in there! LOL!
View attachment 175651
Awwwww, do they smell like Fritos? ❤ Maggie’s feet smell like Fritos, I swear!! 👃 👃

·
Registered
58 Posts
:) Although his his GENES come from both of them, his COLOR comes from his grandfather, CH. Baribal's Ironman (Tony), who is another "clear red". He-be is actually a gold sable, which is genetically very different and not related, though he carries "e" (clear red) from "Tony", who is his dad. I've shared photos of Tony's puppies here in the past, and Tony is also the sire of Molly, one of the Starborn ladies, who is mom to several of the red Starborn puppies on the Forum! Panda also carries "e" from HER dad, who was also a B&W parti, but had it hidden in his background somewhere, as he has produced several red and white or cream (which is genetically the same) puppies.

View attachment 176615
OMGOODNESS be still my heart!! ❤❤❤❤

·
Registered
58 Posts
OK, here is his “official” 11 month old photo. I forgot to take the photo when he was COMPLETELY clean… so his beard is covered with the remnants of supper! Oh well! LOL! I’m planning for him to be back in the ring in early April. And Panda will FINALLY be back in the obedience ring then too!!!
View attachment 177247
Oh my! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more gorgeous dog OR a better representation of this wonderful breed!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Actually, I'm holding the food in my right hand and only transferring a piece into my left had to feed to him. You DEFINITELY don't want a dog who will only stay in position if there is food there! You can tell dogs who are taught by luring, because as soon as the owner doesn't have food in their hand. the dog will leave them. The opposite of what Ducky is doing here. Even when I show food and SEND him away to get it, then give himNO further cue... just keep walking... He WANTS to come back and "join up" with me. He is so conditioned to be on my left side, in heel position... he really doesn't even THINK of being anywhere else.

He eve moves to that side of me on his way to his crate to go to bed at night, and I have NEVER asked him to. He just does.

Here is how he learned heel position. Only a VERY few steps at a time, but he never learned that being anywhere else was an option:

Only maybe ten cookies-worth at a time (because my back can't take more! LOL! but over and over again, a few times a week

Then in this one, several months later, we were fading the chin heeling, with more and more steps of me standing up. But NEVER going so far that he had ANY inclination to lose attention or wander out of position:

Now what I am doing is strengthening his commitment to that. Making it CLEARER in his mind that the BEST place to be is right at my left heel. That is THE most heavily reinforced place in his life!
I absolutely loved these videos and will be using this method faithfully! You are just the best teacher ever! Thank you Karen!

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #646 ·
I only tried the dremel once when the hair pull happened and only tried it after introducing it to her completely turned off. Let her sniff it for three days, and fed cookies. Rubbed it all over her paying special attention to touching her feet with it, again while it was turned off and rewarding her. Only after she showed no fear of it being on, without even a collet in it, did I attempt a quick touch to a nail. She was good with that, so later we tried with the sanding band, again just a quick touch to her nail. That is when she jumped and wound about 5 strands of hair in it. I felt so bad I was in tears that I had scared and hurt my baby. My husband says I was more traumatized than she was, but I can’t bring myself to possibly scare her again.

She got a bath today and got all pretty. She loves laying there under the dryer while I brush her out. While I was doing her pads i quickly trimmed one nail and she didn’t even notice. Baby steps? LOL Slow and steady just may win this one!
It sounds like you my need to get your OWN emotions under control! ;)

Reactions: skubler

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #647 · (Edited)
I have neglected to thank you for your patience and priceless advice. You have been so helpful and I can’t thank you enough. I would love to see the video on doing feet. Your experience and knowledge is such a valuable asset.
You are very sweet! I’ll dig it out for you!

Here you go. I gave you all the foot care ones together:

Trimming nails with dremel

Trimming dew claws

Trimming feet with Wahl trimmers

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #649 ·

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #650 ·
I just got some photos of Ducky at the outdoor show a few weeks ago and thought I’d share. It was hard to keep him looking “groomed” for the judge, but it made for lovely, dramatic gaiting photos! 💕
Glasses Dog Wheel Tire Sunglasses

Dog Carnivore Yellow Grass Companion dog

Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore Mammal Companion dog

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #653 ·
Some photos of Ducky at the Hockamock KC show. ...Another windy day. I have to say, I LOVE the "fluff-in-the-wind" photos!!! 💕
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Grass

Dog Plant Tree Vehicle Carnivore

And THIS has to be one of my all-time favorite photos of him! It just speaks to his sunny nature! 💕 Just laughing at the wind!!!
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Companion dog

·
Registered
112 Posts
You are very sweet! I’ll dig it out for you!

Here you go. I gave you all the foot care ones together:

Trimming nails with dremel

Trimming dew claws

Trimming feet with Wahl trimmers

This is so helpful, Karen.
Thank you for choosing Kodi.
It's easy to think that any properly trained dog will sit back and relax for a mani-pedi, and Ursa does not--at all. She doesn't cry or bark, but she will wiggle and move to try to get out of it. It's good to know that some dogs just don't like it.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #657 ·
This is so helpful, Karen.
Thank you for choosing Kodi.
It's easy to think that any properly trained dog will sit back and relax for a mani-pedi, and Ursa does not--at all. She doesn't cry or bark, but she will wiggle and move to try to get out of it. It's good to know that some dogs just don't like it.
Kodi lets me do it, but he definitely lets me know it's not his favorite activity! LOL!

Reactions: UrsaMinor

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #658 ·
And... It's official!!! Dated the day before my birthday... a VERY nice birthday present!!!

Brown Font Paper Wood Pattern

·
Registered
893 Posts
641 - 660 of 667 Posts