Havanese Forum banner
141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
28,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Funny, I was thinking that Kodi's expression said "Oh hell no!" and it just took him a minute to decide if it was worth the effort to chase him off :) poor Ducky
LOL! Poor Ducky, my eye! Kodi wouldn't hurt a flea. All he did was grump under his breath. Sort of "Move along, young 'un!" And Ducky moved off to torment his Auntie Pixel. Who can growl at him BIG TIME, and he TOTALLY ignores her and keeps pouncing on her! LOL!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
No photos from yesterday, but Ducky had his second, 3 month, "well puppy" vet appointment . He was pronounced a "perfect puppy with a lovely temperament", took his distemper parvo (ONLY!) shot like a champ, got loved on by all the office staff and came wagging back to my car. On the way home, we stopped at the garden center where we practiced loose leash walking and leaving the plants alone. (and had smiles and wags for all the people) He "met" a HUGE 9 month old Berner-doodle who was very well behaved, but he was not at ALL sure about... By "meet" I mean that he saw the dog from a distance, and started backing up rapidly. If we had had room, I would have let him stay on the ground and just retreated to where he was comfortable watching. Since there was no room for that, I just picked him up and since he WAS comfortable there, let him watch from the safety of my arms. I made NO effort to "introduce" them. If Ducky decides he wants dog friends as he gets older, that is up to him. It will NOT be with 70 lb Berner-Doodles. LOL!

This morning we are off to the training center just to sit and watch some big dogs in the ring, so he gets used to seeing them!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
So today's adventure was, indeed, our trip to the training center. First we sat outside and watched dogs arriving and getting out of their cars. Then we went inside, and Ducky got passed around to several training pals of mine. I would NOT do this with strangers, and I wouldn't do it with a puppy who was nervous about or shy with strangers. But Ducky loves everyone. So it was fine with him and they all enjoyed it. He had wags and kisses for all. Then he sat in my lap and watched a number of big dogs in "our" ring. Then the nose work class started coming into the other ring, so we turned around, I propped him up on the half-wall, and he watched all of that. He was interested, maybe a BIT wary, but was fine sitting there between my arms, ate cookies and accepted all the greetings of people who wanted to tell him how cute he was!

After half an hour or so, we went out, and I let him walk around the parking lot and sniff. (all the dogs were in class, so just "dog smells") and a train came by on the tracks that go RIGHT beside the building. He sat down "Manding style" and looked at me. I told him he was a good boy and he just watched the train go by. His tail never went down, and he took it with no more than interest. All in all, a good experience!

He seems SLIGHTLY under the weather from his vaccine yesterday... Still playful and full of beans, but not finishing his meals, and not interested in training treats, so I couldn't really do any structured training sessions with him. Still, we had such good acclimation sessions this morning, I think we got enough done today!

This is a good reason not to double things up! I have his heartworm pill to give him, but am holding off on it until next week. If I had given it to him yesterday, when I got it, I wouldn't know whether it was the vaccine or the heart worm med that cased his slight tummy upset. If it has t be one or the other, I'd prefer it to be the vaccine than the heartworm pill, that he has to take more often!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Today, Ducky's BIGGEST lesson was staying home. I had to take Kodi up to the vet for a dental, which didn't happen, but that's another story. Ducky practiced being a good boy and hanging out in his pen! :)

When I got home, we had his first session of training on his sit box, which is another foundation tool that we will use for MANY exercises in years to come:

Later, we worked on his play skills, also really important for a sports dogs. You can see that I kept the toy moving and "animal like" to increase his interest. I also used a touch of oppositional reflect by touching his sides as he was tugging. He is SO tiny, that all I can do is touch him, or I'd push him over. With a bigger dog, even an adult Havanese, you can actually push against them a bit, and once they know the game, they absolutely LOVE it, and will tug even harder!

I also, intermittently, stilled the toy, took all the "life" out of it, put my hands close to his mouth and ask him to "out" the toy for me. As excited as he was about the game, and as new as h is to this kind of play, he still responded by giving up the toy. Even the HARDEST tugger will, if you have your hand very close to their muzzle, on either side of the toy. His reward for giving up the toy so nicely was that I gave it right back to him! That way, he doesn't have to think that letting go means he loses. (at another point, I actually did let him "win" and take it from me momentarily) It is important that the dog understands that the human controls the game, but that you will play fair with him! At the end, BEFORE he tired of the game, I called a halt, gently asked him to "out" again, then played with him with my hands, praising him and telling him what a wonderful boy he was for playing so nicely!

Toy play is SUCH a useful training tool, and often overlooked in the Pez-dispenser world of dog training!

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Karen - I understand giving a treat when Ducky touches or gets on the box, but why are you also giving a treat over on the floor away from the box? Looks like luring him off the box but I don't think that is what you are trying to teach.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 · (Edited)
Karen - I understand giving a treat when Ducky touches or gets on the box, but why are you also giving a treat over on the floor away from the box? Looks like luring him off the box but I don't think that is what you are trying to teach.
The cookie off the box is called a "reset cookie". It is not technically a reward. It is just to get him away from the box, so that he comes back to try again. If I just give him a cookie fro being on the box, where is he going to go, or what is he going to do? There is no chance for him to repeat the behavior. So it is simply to move him away. It's not a reward, just an expedient, just a pleasant way to move him. If I picked him and moved him, he might think I was correcting him for doing something wrong.

Sometimes you need to "fix" something with your equipment, and you can toss your "reset cookie" even further away, so that they dog is busy running to go get it while you do your rearranging, and it doesn't interrupt the flow of the dog's work too!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Karen - thanks for the explanation. I'm learning from your videos. It's really informative to watch someone doing the training rather than just reading about it in a book.
Terrific! That's what I was hoping!

Attachments

·
Metrowest, MA
28,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Ducky had a busy day today! We had a lesson at school, followed by a play date with a friend’s Corgi puppy that was DOOOO much fun…

And then this evening, he went to our favorite ice cream place with us for his first “turn” being the “chosen dog” to fo for ice cream! He THOROUGHLY approves of the whole adventure, charmed everyone in line, LOVED his “licks” of whipped cream, and even watched several big dogs with his tail up and without getting worried!

Then he came home and CRASHED in Uncle Kodi’s bed! LOL!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the chronically of your litter and now the videos on training Ducky are so informative.
Im amazed at how much I forgot since Penelope’s puppy years. Such fun getting to train Isabelle. Love having this forum as a resource!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 · (Edited)
What a lovely day! And they played so nicely together!!! I almost never see corgi puppies around here; she’s adorable!
My friend breeds them and also works with a partner who breeds them. This is a puppy from her partner that they have decided to keep!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ducky had a busy day today! We had a lesson at school, followed by a play date with a friend’s Corgi puppy that was DOOOO much fun…

And then this evening, he went to our favorite ice cream place with us for his first “turn” being the “chosen dog” to fo for ice cream! He THOROUGHLY approves of the whole adventure, charmed everyone in line, LOVED his “licks” of whipped cream, and even watched several big dogs with his tail up and without getting worried!

View attachment 175207

View attachment 175208

View attachment 175209

Then he came home and CRASHED in Uncle Kodi’s bed! LOL!

View attachment 175210
Lovely post😘. Has cheered me right up😁. Is that Kodi’s snout and paw I spy doing a “who’s been sleeping in my bed?” at Goldilocks sprawled out? X

141 - 160 of 198 Posts