Havanese Forum banner
161 - 180 of 194 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Lovely post😘. Has cheered me right up😁. Is that Kodi’s snout and paw I spy doing a “who’s been sleeping in my bed?” at Goldilocks sprawled out? X
That is EXACTLY what's happening! LOL! If Kodi is in the bed first, Ducky can sneak in and join him. If Ducky is in the bed first, Kodi huffs and walks away to sleep elsewhere! LOL! Fortunately, it's not like we are short on beds around here!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Panda and Ducky cuddling on this rainy Sunday afternoon… heart be still!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
What did Ducky so today? First we worked on our toy play. I have been working on getting him to accept other toys to play with. This is a bit long, but pretty funny, because he is SO clear that he WANTS the last two toys, and he knows EXACTLY where they are! LOL! We are also working on “trading” from one toy to another, which will be useful in other work that we will do. He is getting REALLY good on the mechanics of the game… He is great on letting me have it back the moment I say “out”, and switches easily from one toy to the other.

Then we worked on his disk. I had to move him to a bigger disk, because he has outgrown his old, smaller one. This was his first time with the new disk. I was pleased to see that he seemed to catch on very quickly that this was still the same game:

Finally we worked on his fold back down. He is getting the idea of going down on the verbal, and clearly understands the hand signal. But I’m having trouble with him slumping down onto his left hip. I’m HOPING this is a “Gumby puppy” phase, because he’s not-quite-15 weeks old. So I am trying to reinforce more heavily for a nice Sphinx down.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
And socializing... one way or another... First with "Cousin Chipper", my son's Treewalker Coonhound, who was wonderfully patient and gentle with him:

And then, when you have no real dog to play with... play with the puppy in the mirror!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
And a little video of working on Zen Bowl! He's getting there, but this game is HARD!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Chipper seems very good natured, but doesn't seem to understand the Run and Chase game! And Ducky seems to be working on a Big Dog bark!
If Chipper had been willing to run and chase, I couldn’t have let it continue, because it would not have been safe with that huge size difference. If Chipper even tripped over him, he could seriously damage a little puppy. This is perfect big dog play! :D The bad thing with Chipper is that when he is being intentional like this, he is wonderful. But when he gets revved up and is not thinking, (and he is not the brightest bulb) he just runs… inside the house or out. THEN we need to watch him carefully.

For instance, if he REALLY needs to go out, and you are between him and the deck stairs? You are risking your life. I am pretty sure that is exactly what happened to Kodi when he got hurt when I was out of the house for the day… My son and DIL were living with us then, and I am SURE that someone just opened the door and let all 5 dogs go charging out, and Kodi got trampled. I came home to a dog on 3 legs and 9 months of rehab and his early retirement from the sports we both love. 😢

You’ve always got to be SO careful with little dogs around big ones. You WANT them to get used to them enough that they are comfortable and not reactive, (a little dog that charges big dogs out of fear is an accident waiting to happen too!) but at the same time, you have to be really careful that they don’t get unintentionally hurt, just because of the size difference. Chipper would never hurt a flea on purpose!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
If Chipper had been willing to run and chase, I couldn’t have let it continue, because it would not have been safe with that huge size difference. If Chipper even tripped over him, he could seriously damage a little puppy. This is perfect big dog play! :D The bad thing with Chipper is that when he is being intentional like this, he is wonderful. But when he gets revved up and is not thinking, (and he is not the brightest bulb) he just runs… inside the house or out. THEN we need to watch him carefully....
This is the biggest reason (during normal times before his most recent leg surgery) that I rarely let Perry just run around with cousin Zadie (it's only when she's just sort of standing there that I let it) - especially given his leg issues - because cousin Zadie ( a little over a year old standard poodle) is the stereotypical "bull in a china shop". She's 60 (+/-) pounds of uncoordinated legs and movements. Even my sister has wondered multiple times how she hasn't broken a hip or anything the way she careens around corners and splats herself into walls, etc. Her play is a lot of running around, running into things, head butting cousin Finley (despite the size difference they have very similar playing styles and at 25 pounds he is sturdy enough to take her play) and can practically toss him a short distance. She regularly runs over Finley (who as a scotty is about the same height as Perry but much sturdier) and I know that she would very easily hurt Perry with absolutely no intention. AND if the other dog isn't running and playing with her she will take her very large paws and swat them in the head to get their attention :).

She has very physical dogs to play with so she does not have a slow and gentle playing. She will chill out for a little AND she listens very well so during those times I can let them kind of wander around each other, but the two of them playing is definitely out.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Today’s BIG DEAL thing for Ducky was that he let me Dremel his nails!!! I only did his front feet, and only a little on each toe, so I didn’t push my luck, but GOOD BOY!!! ❤

And another adorable photo from yesterday’s “farm dog adventure”

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ducky and Becca playing together was just too cute!!!!! I noticed they were mostly chasing each other, which seems like nice, calm, safe play. The puppies (off leash) at our puppy class social mostly wrestle, play bite, with lots of contact. Even though it looks rough to me, the dog trainer supervising says it’s totally fine. Do Havanese puppies have different play styles, which may also depend on the “friends” they are with? Should I try to encourage/avoid specific types of play between dogs? Thanks!!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Ducky and Becca playing together was just too cute!!!!! I noticed they were mostly chasing each other, which seems like nice, calm, safe play. The puppies (off leash) at our puppy class social mostly wrestle, play bite, with lots of contact. Even though it looks rough to me, the dog trainer supervising says it’s totally fine. Do Havanese puppies have different play styles, which may also depend on the “friends” they are with? Should I try to encourage/avoid specific types of play between dogs? Thanks!!
My experience with Havanese in general, after watching LOTS of them over many years is that The majority of them enjoy the “run side by side” play style most of the time. They WILL wrestle, but they save that MOSTLY for dogs they know REALLY well, not for casual acquaintances.

Reactions: Al99
161 - 180 of 194 Posts