Havanese Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Owned by a Havallon
3,780 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Sequioa. Back in March my baby Lucca was attacked and bitten by a Cane Corso (80lbs vs my 9lb puppy) when I was dropping him off at daycare. I understand how hard it is to watch and how utterly helpless you can feel. I know I couldn't have done anything more than I did, but the guilt is still there. Forgiving yourself is extremely hard. But they do bounce back. My heart breaks for you.
As far as care goes, it was a struggle. He has never been crate trained, so keeping him confined was tough. I set up a small x-pen next to me during the day (luckily I work from home) to keep him as immobile as possible. I also gave him his meals in either kongs or puzzle toys. But the first two days I spoon-fed him. The cone was a struggle and didn't work well for him. I ended up getting a soft pet recovery collar from Amazon (ARRR comfy UFO collar). It worked really well! He could eat, drink and sleep comfortably with it on. I also worked with him on some minor training tricks (high fives, hand-to-nose touching, watch me). Sedatives weren't an option with his renal disease, so the mind training and food puzzles worked really well in keeping him calm. I also put him next to the window for a couple of hours during the day. He likes watching life outside, plus it gave him a little sun.
It's been 4 months and he's almost back to normal. His hair is slowly coming back. I ended up shaving him down to get rid of the reminder from the IVs and puncture site. As far as socialization, he went right back to playing with the little ones. We're still working on the larger dogs. Lucca's become pretty reactive whenever we encounter one, so it's been a work in progress. But, we'll get there in the end. Hang in there. I know Sequioa will bounce back too.
View attachment 178244
So sorry about your Havi. Glad he is getting better. Such an awful thing to go through.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
I just thought of another game we started playing with Perry wasn't allowed to run around. I taught him the shell game :). That's where you hide something they love (I use one of his favorite treats) under a cup. You can start with just one cup and then praise/ reward when they nudge the cup or paw it... then when they get the idea that they're supposed to find the treat, add a 2nd cup but with no treat in the 2nd, treat only in the first. They get the treat and praise when they find the right cup, then you can move the cups around.. then you can add a 3rd cup. I mark the cup with the treat so that I always put the treat under the same cup (to avoid the other cups having any scent of the treat on them. I play it just like the shell game with the treat under an overturned cup and then moving the cups back and forth so they have to try to follow the right one. Unlike the real shell game, however, where we as humans have to try to follow the cup with our eyes, they have the advantage of smelling it out :)

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
Awww! Good girlie!!! Glad she's feeling better and healing well!!! 💕

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.