Havanese Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read something on a USA breeder’s website when I followed a link posted here the other day. In the information about the puppies and what they were given before they went to their forever owners, it stated that their dew claws would have been removed? I was wondering if that was standard practice for many breeders or how just common it was? Maybe someone here, with the wonderful knowledge and experience you have could answer me? 😊

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,142 Posts
Dew claws serve a purpose and should not be removed. Please do not remove them. You are setting your dog up for problems.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dew claws serve a purpose and should not be removed. Please do not remove them. You are setting your dog up for problems.

I am in complete agreement. The only time it might be necessary is if it was damaged/ injured beyond repair. Hence my surprise to see the removal of them for puppies before they went to new owners on the breeders website. The way it was included in the ‘going home with’ info made it seem like a given? ☹

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,142 Posts
I am in complete agreement. The only time it might be necessary is if it was damaged/ injured beyond repair. Hence my surprise to see the removal of them for puppies before they went to new owners on the breeders website. The way it was included in the ‘going home with’ info made it seem like a given? ☹
As we all know, just because something is on the internet or something “is typically done” or “ has always been done a certain way” does not mean it is right. It is always difficult to get to the truth. New knowledge is always coming out and It is important to have an open mind towards different ways of doing things.

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
I think it used to be more common. A few breeders still do it. I would never buy a dog with front dew claws removed. I am more ambivalent about rear dew claws in our breed. In our breed these are not as common (though they do crop up in certain lines) they serve no functional purpose, have no boney attachment, even when the do is an adult, and are more prone to injury. So if the breeder notices them early enough that they can be removed as a neonate, a certainly wouldn’t object. One person who KNOWS they are in her line checks each puppy at birth and does have rear dews removed routinely. But the couple of people I know who have had them crop up “out of the blue” haven’t noticed until it was too late to do it as a relatively painless neonate procedure. So they have left them. It jest means that the owner needs to be a bit more careful hiking in brush, and they have to remember to trim 5 nails on the back feet too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts