Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I remember reading that one of you has taught your hav to ring a bell when he needs to go outside to do his business. Can you explain the steps on how to train your dog (puppy ) to do that? I am happy to report that Parker has gone 3 days without peeing or pooping in the house- I have been using someone elses suggestion to reward Parker everytime he pees and poops outside and that seems to work. However, it would really be great if there was a way that Parker could let us now he needs to go out. He is a really quick learner with everything we have taught him (other then the housebreaking thing!)
Thank you!
Lynn U

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Hi Lynn,
I wish I could tell you how to do this, but I will be eager to read the responses. Goldie has learned to come up and lick me and scratch me when she wants out. She just did it on her own, and I figured it out because of the way she did it. That makes no sense, but when she wants to go out, she is more aggressive in her licking and pawing. When she is being loving, you can just tell she is being loving.

So I KNOW you can train them to tell you. Now Goldie knows I understand her. So maybe they are training us. HAHA

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
That is a great idea. I really would love to hear from those of you that have had bell training success with your havs. Oreo does nothing but whimper and it is hard to tell if he wants attention, wants treats, or wants to go potty. We really need a unique sign so we understand him clearly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW!

That is truly amazing. I love it! What smart smart havs you have! Parker has been scratching a foam baord that we have as a barrior to control his roaming area in training- to let us know that he needs to go out- but the board will eventually come down. He is 7 months old and the best I can say is that he has now gone 3 days without doing his business in the house. I went back to the beginning of housebreaking again, confining his area of access- and using treats outside when he does his business. But I think I will add this ingenious idea to the mix- I am going to Amazon right now to look for it!
THank you!:)
Lynn U

·
MacGyver's Mom
503 Posts
We have a string of bells hanging on the door and taught MacGyver to hit them with his paw when he wants to go out. We've used this with our Goldens, too. When we travel, we take the bells and hang them on the door that we want the dogs to use to go out. It works well, except they also learn to ring them when bored and wanting attention!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Just to put in my 5 cents (inflation)
Kodi is completely housebroken. He is 15 mos and has not had an accident is a long time. He either goes outside, or uses the pee pad. Lately though, I noticed he is not using it as much. He can hold it a long time.

Shelby is another story, but getting better. She will be 5 mos in about on Mar. 5th, so we are still working on it. Somedays are better than others, but I know she will get it soon.

I don't think they are as bad as people think when it comes to potty training. I had a lab/husky, and it took almost 2 yrs to housebreak her. You just need patience.

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
I also have a string of bells like Boo and Cooper will also ring the bells anytime he's bored or just wants to go outside to play, visit the neighbor, chase a squirell, lay in the grass, you get the picture. I don't know what to do to deter him from this habit.
It can be frustrating in the evenings when he just lays on his back under the bells, leisurely tapping the bells like a tetherball.
Beverly
BTW, MacGyver looks so much like Cooper, except he's missing the tear stains that Cooper sports.

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
Attached are two photos of my doggie bell...this is very easy to do and costs less then 2.00....:) this is a wooden spool attached with a screw to the side of the woodwork,with a cut out dog.I painted the dog to kinda look like Quince.:p The cow bell is hung with a ribbon.That's it.Quincy and Vinnie learned this very quickly.Every single time it was potty time,we'd say,"got to go potty?" "outside"and then make them touch and ring the bell with their nose or foot.Vinnie learned this with no training at all in about 7 days.....Quincy we worked with,but within about 12 days,he was ringing the bell.Now they both ring it to go outside.The hardest thing is to get through the "test"period.They will ring it to get your reaction,running for the door,to go outside to goof off,just smell the air etc.The most important of all,is to MAKE them go outside every single time they ring that bell.WARNING:Do not use jingle bells...toe nails will get caught in the bell.

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
sorry could not get photos to come up,or be able to open

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
here is the other photo... it gives you the idea.I did one for my Mom with a cute little picture frame attached to the spool,complete with a photo of her dog.....a cocker....small wooden frames can be found in the craft department of most stores unpainted,so you can match your decor.....

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
What cute ideas!! I love the little paw doorbell, I gotta look on AMazon too.
Lily barks to us when she needs to go out. Lexi just sits at the sliding door and scratches at it, so if you are not there to see it, she gets agitated. But has only had accidents (if you call them that - or pissed off sessions) since Logan came. It has been about 3 weeks since the last one so I hope she is over it. Logan just walks to the door and sits down. AGain, hard to hear if you are not in the room. I might try that bell!

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Julie: That is too cute. Sell them on e-bay, make a million.LOL:)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
All great ideas. Paige I am ordering the doogie doorbell you have. I just thought it would be easier to use when we go to someone elses house or go away with the dog.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Julie-
That is very clever! I think I will go with the amazon bell that Reece found, amd try to combine both your suggestions of how to train Parker!.
By the way, I posted some new pictures of Parker in his album- at least thats where I think they ended up. It is taking me some time to learn how to do the picture thing!
Lynn U

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
The doorbell paw thing is very cute.Either way it works,it's just a matter of using a thing on the floor or on a door/wood frame around the door(so it doesn't swing over and get caught in there.At our house we usually always have to go the inexpensive route.:)
Have fun...lets us know how your bell-training works!:D

·
Bessie & Max's Parents
693 Posts
My sister-in-law trained her puppy to ring the bell (a long ribbon holding a big bell tied to the sliding glass door) and insisted we do the same...so she sent us one. When Max was really young we would ring the bell and open the door then put him outside. The theory is, ring the bell and the door magically opens....ring the bell, the door opens....ring the bell, the door opens, Max go outside and do his business.

I was amazed at how it worked I saw my sister-n-law's pup do it and I thought it was hilarious....but dang it all if Max didn't soon learn to ring the bell when he wanted out. It's funny....if I'm downstairs and Paula is upstairs and we both hear the bell ringing we rush to the middle level to open the door for Max....the more he wants to go...the harder he rings the bell.

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
yes,that is amazing how great this really is.With Quince,he would walk to the door,turn and then pee on the floor.If you didn't see him quietly walk to the door,that was it.I read about bell-ringing on the internet,and my husband thought I was crazy...but when our housebroken sheltie with no bell training at all rang it first,he was sold!Quincy shortly thereafter started ringing it to.We hear it just fine,as it echoes pretty good in our house.;) Rick,that's right...if you don't come right away,they ring it even harder.It's really cool.:cool: I told my husband we have the only two bell-ringing dogs in town!Now all of our friends that I tell about it,or that see it,want to train their dogs too!:D For those of you wanting to do both,I don't know if that will confuse the dog or not.:confused: I think I would concentrate on 1 way and get very reliable first,then perhaps if you still want to,introduce the second method,though it would not be necessary.I think the doorbell is adorable and wish I had seen that first,however,I will not change as both my dogs consistantly ring with their noses...and that would require using a foot or at least looking around for the bell they are used to seeing hanging,now sitting on the floor.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I gave the bell info a few weeks ago to a lady at swim practice who just got two German Shephard pups. She was amazed how well it works. Then her father stayed over and she told him to leave the dogs out when they ring the bell. To say the least she came home and he said, "D dogs all they do all day is ring the bell." Well to say the least she was mad at her Dad because he didn't listen to her and they had accidents. She was happy to see her Dad leave............. I suggested a shock collar for her Dad that the dogs could push but maybe that was a little too much. He He.:)

1 - 20 of 105 Posts