Havanese Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mom of Brutus and Roxie
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that previously you owned a Cairn for 16 years and now you are the proud momma of a Havanese. We also were Cairn parents for 16 years and are now considering a Havanese. I have read tons about the Havanese, but would be interested in your thoughts between the two breeds. TIA!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Cheryl welcome aboard. You came to the right place to research. I called my Cairn terrier my "terrorist". She had the strong willed terrier personality and was a handful at times but she gave us 16 wonderful years. She was my first baby. :)

I only had Houston for a week and he is wonderful. He seems more intelligent than my terrier. I am not sure if that is true.... it may be that the Havanese desire is to please you not push your buttons like terriers. LOL In one week we already walk through the house on a leash and he practices sit. He has it down pretty well.

They are truly companion dogs. We played and veg on the couch all day today. Since they are companion dogs you might want to check on this link where we discussed working when you have a Hav. http://www.havaneseforum.com/showthread.php?t=453 I do work but am lucky to come home for lunch and break up the time he is alone. Plus I have relatives to help.

I guess you can say what someone told me on this forum when I said I used to have a terrier. They noted they were like night and day. I guess I have to agree.

Good luck with your decision. It is great that you are doing research first. Make sure you look in the breeder section about how to find a good one and what tests the breeders should do on their dogs.

·
Mom of Brutus and Roxie
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Rita. I'll keep you posted on our search. This is a great forum, filled with information.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts