Havanese Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Is there any point in trying to correct a puppy who is crazy for about 10 minutes while Dexter is going through the RLH moments? Dexter is only 11 weeks.

2. Biting is a problem when RLH occurs, any suggestions?

3. Is the biting just a teething stage?

This is what I do when Dexter is crazy for a little while, I run and play with him to tire him out, so he will be my quiet baby.

I do "YELP" loudly when Dexter bites, which does get his attention, then we focus more on toys and running.

Any other suggestions?

·
Carohav Havanese
98 Posts
Biting is a teething stage, but I don't allow the puppy to mouth me. I cry "ouch" loud enough to get his attention, then replace my hand with an acceptable toy and praise!
The RLH is something all my dogs do, and I don't try to stop them (like I could!) As they get older, they get calmer.

·
Kubrick & Hitchcock's Mom
7,774 Posts
I don't think stopping a RLH is possible... I mean it probably is, but why would you want to? ;) However, I do think stopping biting should be done, no matter what. Make sure to teach bite inhibition as well, to make sure he knows when it hurts vs when it doesn't.

·
Michelle, Seamus's mom
541 Posts
Linda, I agree with the above; when Finnegan bites me I yelp too then give a toy and praise. RLH goes on about 4 times a day (or more??? it just is so regular I'm not phased any more) and we just try to get it on film:biggrin1: Sounds like your doing GREAT!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts