Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sam was in 2 comformations shows this weekend. His breeder beat us, :( but Sam showed really well.:) I was worried he would misbehave on the table. One judge thought he was "Too Fat". :p We'll get them next time. We had lots of fun.:D

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
Congradulations Sam And Debbie!You did great!:D
Julie and Quincy

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Julie :) Welcome to the forum :) to You and Quincy. My little sable is certainly getting out numbered by the black and white.LOL:)

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Congratulations Debbie and Sam!
Thats fantastic! I bet you had tons of fun too :) Did you take pictures? We're all so proud of you and Sam, and I think he looks absolutely beautiful. My groomer thinks Cooper is a little "heavy" too. When it's time for me to get another Hav, I hope it works out to be a sable!

Beverly

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
It sounds like you had fun at Sam's debut~!
Don't worry about the judges, each one will tell you something different, I swear!
His day will come!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Congrats Debbie and Sam!!!!! It sounds like you had fun. Hopefully, I will have a little sable soon too. Then we can keep up with those black and whites. ;)

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
Congrad!!!! Ever Judge looks for some thing different what they like personally in the breed.Just keep showing Im glad you had a lot of fun showing it cane be even with all the stress some people go threw before a show.Keep up the good work.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you every one for all your encouragement. I really appreciate it:) . I'm looking forward to our next show in March the judges are from Chile and Ireland. It will be interesting to see what they think. I don't have to worry about Sam's breeders dog. She finished her championship on the weekend.:)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Debbie, congrats to you both. Sam is beautiful. You are not being outnumbered by b/w pups, the sable just changed color. Kodi was cream with bright sable markings as a puppy, but has changed to cream. Maybe #3 will be a sable (after being at Westminster yesterday, I want a few more).

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
I'm glad you had a great time, Debbie! I'm sure Sam isn't fat...... he's just fluffy that's all! ;) I'm starting to think my Ricky is on the chubby side - weighed him yest. and it said 14lbs. !!! :eek:

Anyway, it is very true that you can never please a judge... the whole purpose is for them to be subjective and choose what THEY like in the breed. I read an article in today's paper that quoted one judge from Westminster saying he chooses 'best of breed' or 'best of show' according to what he'd like to take home with him!! lol He said "if I want to take the dog home with me, then that one's the winner." So .......

It's great experience either way!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
;) Hi
Here we go again !! What is it with these judges . Too fat !! These are dogs not models .. ? do they have a weigh in as well ..
OK How do they decide it is too fat - a pinch test checking for rolls and looking for double chins
I really think this is nuts - there is so much variety within the breed . Some of them are more sturdy and heavier boned than others . I see it with Cosmo and Ahnold .
Asta was different also . Tulip is also slighter and smaller boned .
You do not want an anorexic dog and you do not want the dog to be malnourished and get sick just because of one judges opinion ..
The one show I did go to I did not think the judge even knew what a Havanese was . That was five years ago - it sounds like things still need work .

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
I wonder about that weight issue....the Akc doesn't put forth any weight on the standard I just read,only height.How would a judge know if he was a pound overweight?Do they actually weigh them?It would make sense "excessively boney" ,big boned,etc.but otherwise,how do they actually know?:confused:

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,358 Posts
If there is no weight restiriction, how come the breed standard says 7 to 13 lbs and 8 1/2" to 11 1/2"......this is so confusing!!!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I wonder about that weight issue....the Akc doesn't put forth any weight on the standard I just read,only height.How would a judge know if he was a pound overweight?Do they actually weigh them?It would make sense "excessively boney" ,big boned,etc.but otherwise,how do they actually know?:confused:
Just wanted to clarify, it is NOT AKC that does the standard, it is the parent club of our breed, the HCA (Havanese Club of America).

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
:confused: Hi Kathy
Thanks for the information on that one but I am curious as I know there is a line of European Havanese and they can run up to over 20lbs .
? What happens to these dogs - > Do they not qualify for American shows .
Asta's Sister Murphy weighs over 18lbs - she was not fat just sturdy and solid like Cosmo ..
Cosmo is 8 months and he weighs 13lbs .. He was just at the Vet and she said he was healthy and a good weight ..
Asta never weighed more than 15lbs but he was never fat either ..

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After the judge examined Sam. He picked him up off the table to judge his weight. In Canada a dog can be disqualified if they are over 11 1/2 inches, but the weight is not mentioned as a fault or disqualification. The judge did get out the measuring stick to measure a Papillion that looked too big. Sam may be a little over weight but thats what happens when there is a toddler dropping anything and everthing on the floor. :D

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
Kathy,:)
Just a question,
I understand the HCA sets the standard,but wouldn't the AKC have to adopt their standards and mention it as part of the judging?Otherwise why have it?
Just curious.....;)
I see the HCA has changed or adopted different wording over the years as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts