Havanese Forum banner
81 - 100 of 138 Posts

Registered
Joined
1,209 Posts
Oh, how much I want to go to this. But Ona is having her vaccine this Friday, and not sure she will be up to it. We鈥檒l see.
Hopefully she鈥檒l be feeling ok and able to make it! Is it the rabies vax? I feel like my guys generally are a little off later that day but fine the following, so fingers crossed she has an easy time of it!
 

Registered
Joined
28 Posts
Our vet was planning for 3rd DHPP, rabies and 2nd Lepto on Friday! We are not doing Lepto ever again, and I am going to ask for either Rabies or DHPP. Any recommendations on what should go first? Or is there a law in CA that says that rabies has to be given at 4 mos? (Ona is 17 wks now) One issue that I am having is that Ona needs to be groomed already, and the groomer won't take her without rabies.

In any case, could you please tell me what time is the meeting at Redwood Shores on Saturday? I've looked and couldn't find the time. I will definitely come with Ona if she's feeling up to it.

Thanks!
 

Registered
Joined
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
The show begins at 10am!

from a vaccine website:

California law requires each dog older than three months to be vaccinated against rabies and licensed before it is five months old. If your dog is more than five months old, you have 30 days to get it icensed after you obtain it or bring it into California.
 

Owned by a Havallon
Joined
4,009 Posts
Our vet was planning for 3rd DHPP, rabies and 2nd Lepto on Friday! We are not doing Lepto ever again, and I am going to ask for either Rabies or DHPP. Any recommendations on what should go first? Or is there a law in CA that says that rabies has to be given at 4 mos? (Ona is 17 wks now) One issue that I am having is that Ona needs to be groomed already, and the groomer won't take her without rabies.

In any case, could you please tell me what time is the meeting at Redwood Shores on Saturday? I've looked and couldn't find the time. I will definitely come with Ona if she's feeling up to it.

Thanks!
I would have serious concerns about trusting a vet who would give all those vaccines including rabies at the same time. Have you considered looking for a different vet?
 

Registered
Joined
1,209 Posts
Our vet was planning for 3rd DHPP, rabies and 2nd Lepto on Friday! We are not doing Lepto ever again, and I am going to ask for either Rabies or DHPP. Any recommendations on what should go first? Or is there a law in CA that says that rabies has to be given at 4 mos? (Ona is 17 wks now) One issue that I am having is that Ona needs to be groomed already, and the groomer won't take her without rabies.

In any case, could you please tell me what time is the meeting at Redwood Shores on Saturday? I've looked and couldn't find the time. I will definitely come with Ona if she's feeling up to it.

Thanks!
If your vet is open to waiting for Rabies (they might be, especially since I recall you saying that Ona is small), I would say Parvo/Distemper (which is in the DHPP) bc those are the ones that have to be given on a particular schedule for medical reasons, and those are dangerous illnesses, as opposed to
rabies, which is according to state law and really not about risk to the dog. My vet was ok waiting a few more weeks for rabies, and I just registered her w Berkeley right after we got it; it wasn鈥檛 a problem. If you explain to your groomer that your vet is waiting, and why, they may be open to making an exception鈥 I鈥檝e found places around here very open to that exception for a short time (especially with these tiny dogs that are 100% NOT being exposed to rabies鈥). Similar with places that require spay/neuter but you鈥檙e waiting until they鈥檝e matured. You wouldn鈥檛 have to wait long for rabies, just a couple of weeks鈥 and most groomers around here book pretty far out too!
 

Registered
Joined
1,209 Posts
Just wanted to let people know that I recently had COVID, and am outside the isolation period (Rob has been consistently negative and not sick鈥 he was able to get his booster before me!) but am planning to wear an N95 tomorrow just to be extra extra safe. If anyone who is planning to come feels uncomfortable with that, please message me and I鈥檒l sit it out. I will also not be offended in the slightest If you just want to say hello from a distance. 馃樂
 

Registered
Joined
2,590 Posts
I would have serious concerns about trusting a vet who would give all those vaccines including rabies at the same time. Have you considered looking for a different vet?
Personally, I wouldn't go that far - many vets give them all at the same time - it's basically because it's how you can be sure that the pups get them because many people won't want to come back (or would forget to schedule) and pay for multiple office visits to split them up. Personally, I would only consider a new vet if you asked to split them and the vet refused.

Perry's vet generally gives whatever is due at the same time. However, she's also perfectly fine with splitting them to different visits, skipping some (other than rabies) if I don't want them and titering when I requested it.
 

Registered
Joined
28 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go that far - many vets give them all at the same time - it's basically because it's how you can be sure that the pups get them because many people won't want to come back (or would forget to schedule) and pay for multiple office visits to split them up. Personally, I would only consider a new vet if you asked to split them and the vet refused.

Perry's vet generally gives whatever is due at the same time. However, she's also perfectly fine with splitting them to different visits, skipping some (other than rabies) if I don't want them and titering when I requested it.
Yes, this exactly what happened. I requested DHPP only, and we will have rabies at 20 wks. The doctor did not object at all.
 

Premium Member
Joined
2,737 Posts
Izzy had his DHPP at 8, 12 and 16 weeks but at still hasn鈥檛 had his rabies at almost 22 weeks. We have been dealing with itching and the vet agreed to holding off on the rabies vaccine for awhile while we were trying to sort the itching. Not sure exactly when we will get it done.
 

Owned by a Havallon
Joined
4,009 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go that far - many vets give them all at the same time - it's basically because it's how you can be sure that the pups get them because many people won't want to come back (or would forget to schedule) and pay for multiple office visits to split them up. Personally, I would only consider a new vet if you asked to split them and the vet refused.

Perry's vet generally gives whatever is due at the same time. However, she's also perfectly fine with splitting them to different visits, skipping some (other than rabies) if I don't want them and titering when I requested it.
I think it is critical that the vet inform the client that it is in the best interest of their dog to give them separately. Then it is up to the client to decide. Sorry I have no patience for not vaccinating dogs in the safest manner possible and more importantly鈥ot informing their clients about potential dangers and how to mitigate risks. Anyone who has a vaccine damaged dog will understand this. Those who have lucked out may not.
 

Registered
Joined
1,209 Posts
SO much fun seeing all the pups play (and chatting with their lovely people) was quite a herd of Havis and they all had a blast鈥 don鈥檛 think I got a good count, but I definitely think we were at well over a dozen: ages 17 weeks to 10 years, with just about every color and size you could imagine! And all such happy, friendly, sweet dogs.

As usual I did not get many pics but I know some of you got fabulous ones so would love to see! I did get one video of Jo, Pepper and Zoie playing in the bushes: Pepper, Zoie and Jolene playtime
 
81 - 100 of 138 Posts
Top