Havanese Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
Which scissors would you recommend for beginners: straight or curved? Thank you for your encouragement.
For rounding of the feet, the curved shears are definitely better. I think the curved can be used for other areas too, depends on what you are trimming. I like having both but if I had to choose one I would go with curved.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
😊Thank you for your lovely comment about our fur baby. I have always bathed her once a month, give her a foot/fanny bath when needed and brush/comb her every day, I find that her hair is more manageable when I groom her daily and takes less time. My biggest problem is when I take her in for trimming most groomers want to clip from her tummy to her chest to calm down her puffines. Back in early May our groomer did just that after she refused to do a foot shaping without a bath. When I picked her up I saw that she had shaved her entire belly up to her ridge of her chest bones. Guess she thought I wouldn’t notice! She told me that she did it because she had too much hair, needless to say I’m not taking Chérie back to her again. It’s growing out again, I will continue to bathe her myself and just have a face/ feet/Fanny done. I can trim her fanny and hair between her paws but not her face, nails and rounding her feet. This is the main reason I posted about which scissors to buy straight or curved to trim her myself. I’m getting brave. 😊

YouTube Shu and Tree videoses about grooming luxury dogs is not only fun to watch but educational. It is a Highly Skilled Koren Groomer and she uses curved scissors to cut around the feet. There are Lots! of videos and different types of small fancy dogs.

·
MJ
30 Posts
For rounding of the feet, the curved shears are definitely better. I think the curved can be used for other areas too, depends on what you are trimming. I like having both but if I had to choose one I would go with curved.
Thank you, I’ll purchase the curved and practice before I invest on the straight.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
😊Thank you for your lovely comment about our fur baby. I have always bathed her once a month, give her a foot/fanny bath when needed and brush/comb her every day, I find that her hair is more manageable when I groom her daily and takes less time. My biggest problem is when I take her in for trimming most groomers want to clip from her tummy to her chest to calm down her puffines. Back in early May our groomer did just that after she refused to do a foot shaping without a bath. When I picked her up I saw that she had shaved her entire belly up to her ridge of her chest bones. Guess she thought I wouldn’t notice! She told me that she did it because she had too much hair, needless to say I’m not taking Chérie back to her again. It’s growing out again, I will continue to bathe her myself and just have a face/ feet/Fanny done. I can trim her fanny and hair between her paws but not her face, nails and rounding her feet. This is the main reason I posted about which scissors to buy straight or curved to trim her myself. I’m getting brave. 😊

How ridiculous is that?!?! The only reason Panda's belly was shaved was so her puppies could nurse!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts