Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really getting concerned about my puppy. He weighed about 4 1/2 pounds at 8 weeks. He is now 15 weeks and he is almost 10 pounds! He does not look heavy but just big. He is plenty active and has had all his check ups. However at this rate he will be at least 20 pounds. Is something wrong?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is healthy. He does have an am bilingual hernia that they will take care of when he is neutered in June. He is very active with our other dog and sleeps through the night. I just did not expect his size

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sounds like you might just have a big boy of the vet says everything is ok! The mom and dad of our Charlie were 10 and 12 lbs, so we were expecting him to be around there. He was a little over 4lb when we brought him home at 11 weeks, and I think was around 8 at 16 weeks. As an adult, he’s about 18 lbs. He’s almost 9 years old now, healthy and in good shape, but just bigger than we expected— not a problem for us, as he’s just on the edge in terms of being allowed to fly with us. But we are hoping that when we add a second (hopefully within the next 6-12 mos!) it will be on the smaller size or we’re going to completely lose our couch to dogs! 🤣

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scooter was 4 pounds when we brought him home. We feel Scooter and he is not chubby even though with the hair he looks like he is. He does have big paws!

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Our Scout was the largest in a litter of seven. Our breeder said he would be a big boy. His mom was 8 lbs and sire 13 lbs. At 11 weeks he was 5 lbs. He now weighs 19 lbs. Truffles was 3 pounds at nine weeks and now weighs 12 lbs. Scout is all around larger, but within the standard.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
He's the big boy on the end.😊
View attachment 174050
Oh my goodness, he WAS a big boy from the beginning! LOL!

Kodi was not quite as big as your boy, but Pam King told me when I got him that he would be on the large side. I didn’t care. He was still the right puppy for me! All the more to love! As an adult, he is 17 1/2 lbs and we call him our “lap and a half dog“. He is my heart dog and I could not possibly be happier with him! He is 17 1/2 lbs of absolutely gorgeous, lovable, talented Havanese! ❤

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Kodi is a beautiful boy! DH thinks Scout is the perfect size. He was a little disappointed Truffles was smaller, but now they are inseparable. They are the perfect pair for us. 😊.

We have one on each end of the spectrum, they are half siblings, and we love them both to pieces! (as well as the one in the middle! ;) )

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is an interesting discussion for a new Havanese haver! There does seem to be quite a range, we have a friend with a real outlier - 26 lbs...I wonder about his lineage a bit. Our new puppy, Felix, weighed just over 3 lbs at 12 weeks. Both of his parents are on the petite side, Mom 9 lbs, Dad 11 lbs according to the breeder. Any guesses on how big he might be as an adult? When do Havanese typically reach full size and when might his coat start changing?

This forum has been so helpful and fun to read and see all of photos!!!
This is our boy Felix at 4 weeks and 4 days old :)
-ap
1616957229869.png
1616957229869.png

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
He's a cutie! The Official size range for Havanese is not based on weight, but on height. They can be between 8 1/2" and 11 1/2" at the shoulder to be "within standard", though there are puppies that are purebred that fall outside the standard from time to time too. Certainly a 26 Uber would be taller than that unless he were quite obese! :)

The best way to get an idea on the size of your pup as an adult is to ask your breeder. She will have the best idea, based on the other dogs in the family. a 9 lb female is on the small side, an 11 lb male is kind of average. Unless they are both small representatives of their families, it is unlikely that he will be a really large Havanese.

·
Registered
482 Posts
This is an interesting discussion for a new Havanese haver! There does seem to be quite a range, we have a friend with a real outlier - 26 lbs...I wonder about his lineage a bit. Our new puppy, Felix, weighed just over 3 lbs at 12 weeks. Both of his parents are on the petite side, Mom 9 lbs, Dad 11 lbs according to the breeder. Any guesses on how big he might be as an adult? When do Havanese typically reach full size and when might his coat start changing?

-ap View attachment 174067 View attachment 174067
I love Felix’s eyebrows😍

I think they are at full size (as in height and length) at a year old, but can continue to put on weight to fill out in their second year. Having said that now Flo is 3 I have forgotten all the the growth stages so I could be off a bit with the dates, whereas when she was going through them I was obsessed with facts. Hopefully someone else will give you a more reliable answer. X

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
I love Felix’s eyebrows😍

I think they are at full size (as in height and length) at a year old, but can continue to put on weight to fill out in their second year. Having said that now Flo is 3 I have forgotten all the the growth stages so I could be off a bit with the dates, whereas when she was going through them I was obsessed with facts. Hopefully someone else will give you a more reliable answer. X
That's pretty much the case. It certainly was for my dogs. Because I do sports with them, I have access to an official measuring wicket. None of them got any taller after 10 months.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Oh goodness...Felix is precious! I was pretty sure Truffles was going to on the smaller size because she was compact, short legs and button nose. 😊 Her breeder said she would be about 10 lbs. Felix reminds me a lot of Truffles as a puppy. She was nine weeks old and 3lbs in this video. Her coat color started changing at 6 months old.

·
Arf! Arf! Super Moderator
3,453 Posts
This is an interesting discussion for a new Havanese haver!
You are now an official Havahaver! Felix (pronounced FAYlicks in Spanish) is a cutie petootie. I feel certain that his coat color will change as he grows into his adult coat.

Both of his parents are on the petite side, Mom 9 lbs, Dad 11 lbs according to the breeder. Any guesses on how big he might be as an adult? When do Havanese typically reach full size and when might his coat start changing?
My unofficial guess is that he will be around 12 pounds IF YOU ARE CAREFUL WITH HIS DIET (pretty average weight and within official height standards). Havanese generally reach their dimensional full size at around 12 months but will continue to gain weight up to around 18 months when they become young adults (every Havanese is different and grow at different rates). He will 'blow coat' for several months usually around age 6 -12 months when they lose their puppy coat and transition to their adult coat. This tends to be a frustrating time for owners as they try to maintain a coat that is 'wild and wooly'! IF his coat changes color, that's the time it will happen!

Just for reference, Ricky reached his full height (11 inches) at around 12 months and reached his full weight (15+ pounds) at round 18 months. His coat did NOT change color when blowing coat. However, as a 7+ y.o. his coat is starting to silver a bit. Since we keep him in a full coat, he looks much bigger than he really is.

Okay, now tell us what Felix personality is like. The more you put into this Forum, the more you will receive in return.

·
Registered
16 Posts

-ap View attachment 174067 View attachment 174067
I meant 12 weeks and 4 days 😂

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love Felix’s eyebrows😍

Thanks Flo! His eyebrows charmed me from the beginning!
Felix is super full of energy and personality! He hops or bounds kind of like a rabbit when he runs - it’s adorable and very smile inducing!
He hates being ignored - even for a moment. We are working on some very unflattering “demand” barking that he displays whenever our eyes aren’t right on him! Based on some posts on the forum, I am trying to do the “ignore”, followed by “kennel time out” to try and communicate that his demand barking is unwelcome.
I am curious if a demand barking puppy can become a less high maintenance adult? It’s been about 10 years since we had a puppy and this is our first Havanese. We have always had terriers or terrier mixes and they bark - a - lot! One of the things that drew me to the breed was that Havanese were not huge barkers. So far, Felix is disproving this reported characteristic of Havanese.
-ap

1 - 20 of 29 Posts