Havanese Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
28,507 Posts
His eyebrows charmed me from the beginning!
I’m a sucker for eyebrows! ❤

I am curious if a demand barking puppy can become a less high maintenance adult?
My first is a demand barker because I allowed it. My youngest also looked like she might want to go in that direction. I worked very hard to ignore it. Then one day she started making a little under her breath noise when she came to me. It was kind of cute. I started marking it with a clicker and named it “Whisper”. From then on, if she started to bark, I would remind her to “whisper”. Now, if she wants something, she whispers... which is MUCH more acceptable! LOL!

...of course, her big brother still barks at me... THAT ship, I’m afraid, sailed long ago! LOL!

·
Arf! Arf! Super Moderator
3,455 Posts
Felix is super full of energy and personality! He hops or bounds kind of like a rabbit when he runs - it’s adorable and very smile inducing!
I have seen many Havanese have this characteristic as a younger dog - bunny hop - stride, stride, glide. It is indeed fascinating and they can be very fast doing it!
He hates being ignored - even for a moment. We are working on some very unflattering “demand” barking that he displays whenever our eyes aren’t right on him! Based on some posts on the forum, I am trying to do the “ignore”, followed by “kennel time out” to try and communicate that his demand barking is unwelcome.
He needs to learn right now that demand barking gets him nothing. Do not reprimand him just ignore him and put him in time out for a few minutes until he quiets down. Havanese are smart and they will pick up on your reaction quite quickly. The thing Havanese hate worse than anything is being ignored!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Oliver is about 12 lbs at 2 years old, and Roxie is 9.5 lbs at 10 months old, and I highly doubt she'll get much bigger, even if she gains a pound or pound and a half. She has been the same weight for a couple of months. More than light, she's just TINY. Her weight is probably going to be average, as our breeder's pups are usually full grown by 10 months and gain maybe a pound over the next year. But her overall size is so much smaller than Oliver. He's pretty tall and thin though. But she looks only slightly bigger than a Maltese in length and height. So I do understand the weight not being in the standard vs height a little more. That said, a dog on the shorter side is going to weigh less unless they are very muscular. Not sure of Roxie's height but Oliver is 11 inches and she is an inch or more shorter than him. And not as long. She will hop in my lap and stay there, whereas Oliver likes to snuggle beside you like a child.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have seen many Havanese have this characteristic as a younger dog - bunny hop - stride, stride, glide. It is indeed fascinating and they can be very fast doing it!

He needs to learn right now that demand barking gets him nothing. Do not reprimand him just ignore him and put him in time out for a few minutes until he quiets down. Havanese are smart and they will pick up on your reaction quite quickly. The thing Havanese hate worse than anything is being ignored!
Perry has started doing some demand barking for his dinner - I carry it upstairs and he runs to the top of the stairs and barks at me while I walk up the stairs. So, he gets no attention and the bowl goes on the table until he relaxes on his bed. It hasn't stopped the barking yet, but I refuse to give him his food when he's demanding it :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am really getting concerned about my puppy. He weighed about 4 1/2 pounds at 8 weeks. He is now 15 weeks and he is almost 10 pounds! He does not look heavy but just big. He is plenty active and has had all his check ups. However at this rate he will be at least 20 pounds. Is something wrong?
My male is 5 1/2 months and weights 11.4 lbs and is 13-14 inches tall!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,507 Posts
My male is 5 1/2 months and weights 11.4 lbs and is 13-14 inches tall!
Where are you measuring? The top of his head or at his shoulder? Because a 13-14" dog who only weighed 11.4 lbs would be VERY thin!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where are you measuring? The top of his head or at his shoulder? Because a 13-14" dog who only weighed 11.4 lbs would be VERY thin!
From his shoulders and yes he is thin under all that hair! Interested to know if anyone else has a similar big boy or girl!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,507 Posts
From his shoulders and yes he is thin under all that hair! Interested to know if anyone else has a similar big boy or girl!
He is pretty different from typical Havanese type. But he is a cute boy! Did you see both his parents? Did either of them have really long legs like this?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts