Havanese Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,318 Posts
“It turns out the affectionate Havanese is a favorite in New York, New Jersey, Nebraska, Michigan and Idaho.”

Interesting. I live in Missouri and supposedly the West Highland Terrier is most popular. However, I have only seen one here in my entire life!

·
Arf! Arf!
3,368 Posts
“It turns out the affectionate Havanese is a favorite in New York, New Jersey, Nebraska, Michigan and Idaho.”
Thank you for this information Mommy of Mando. I think we have to be careful how to interpret the results. Although I think the Havanese was the second most researched after Bulldog???????? I think when people find out what a well bred Havanese costs and how long the waiting lists are, they pick something else. Most people in my area are looking for a $300 dog they can pick up in a couple of weeks. I can tell you that LABs are the most common breed in SoCal, not Bulldogs which I rarely see here.

·
Registered
397 Posts

Lol this has just reminded me of a conversation my husband had whilst over in NY 2019 with American friends he hadn’t seen for a couple of years…
Husband: We’ve got a dog now, she’s a Havanese (Cue loooooooong conversation about how rare they are, no one has ever heard of them, typical breed traits etc)
Friend: Yes we’ve got two!

🤣🤣🤣Husband said he felt like a complete idiot🙈. Now I’m typing this out it’s not particularly funny, so maybe you had to be there😆 oh well am posting it anyway as takes too long to delete things using an iPad on the forum😘

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for this information Mommy of Mando. I think we have to be careful how to interpret the results. Although I think the Havanese was the second most researched after Bulldog???????? I think when people find out what a well bred Havanese costs and how long the waiting lists are, they pick something else. Most people in my area are looking for a $300 dog they can pick up in a couple of weeks. I can tell you that LABs are the most common breed in SoCal, not Bulldogs which I rarely see here.
I agree. I just think it’s interesting that people are researching Havanese in such high numbers. 🙂

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm from NYC and definitely see other havs walking around the city but I've had a few different people stop me and ask what breed Piper is. I think her coloring may be throwing them off? One lady asked if she was some type of doodle and ive never been so internally offended in my life 😂 😂 😂

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm from NYC and definitely see other havs walking around the city but I've had a few different people stop me and ask what breed Piper is. I think her coloring may be throwing them off? One lady asked if she was some type of doodle and ive never been so internally offended in my life 😂 😂 😂
I feel you. 🤣🤣🤣 The only other Havanese I’ve seen in my area was visiting from out of state. People always ask what breed Mando is and guess Maltese or Shih tzu.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
I would be too! OTOH, when I first got Kodi, Havanese were so rare that I often got, "Havanese... What's that? A cross between a Pekinese and a...?" LOL!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Lol this has just reminded me of a conversation my husband had whilst over in NY 2019 with American friends he hadn’t seen for a couple of years…
Husband: We’ve got a dog now, she’s a Havanese (Cue loooooooong conversation about how rare they are, no one has ever heard of them, typical breed traits etc)

🤣🤣🤣Husband said he felt like a complete idiot🙈. Now I’m typing this out it’s not particularly funny, so maybe you had to be there😆 oh well am posting it anyway as takes too long to delete things using an iPad on the forum😘
If it’s worth anything at all, I thought it was quite funny, 😆 but then I do always appreciate your humor. Side note on the iPad, I’m sure there’s a perfectly good reason why there isn’t a Delete key, as on a standard keyboard, but I can’t for the life of me understand what it could be, humph!

·
Arf! Arf!
3,368 Posts
I agree. I just think it’s interesting that people are researching Havanese in such high numbers. 🙂
I had a person contact me looking for a Havanese puppy. They said they were willing to spend top dollar - $600. 😲 They asked if I could help them and I said, "NO."

·
Premium Member
272 Posts

Your story is hilarious. I think I mentioned in a previous post that Boo is from Manhattan. Your story makes me think of people I knew back there. Every one trying to one up the other. Human nature is funny. However, Boo is still here, and going strong. I'm counting down the months til his 19th birthday.

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
I agree it’s probably an accurate reflection of peoples’ interest in Havanese but not so much in actually purchase of them. But I hope the increased interest doesn’t create a demand that is bad for the breed!

When we started looking for a Havanese I didn’t really come across breeders in Idaho, but I also didn’t really search there. I assumed since they aren’t popular here, they probably weren’t in Idaho since we’re neighbors. I was completely wrong! There are more good breeders in Idaho it seems, and i think they are more common. It doesn’t surprise me that they are ranked as a favorite.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts