Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a 3rd party here and want this to come across as unbiased as possible. I'll lay out the situation and ask for your thoughts on what you think is best. Any links that would support thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you!

1. Both Havanese were purchased together as puppies from separate litters at 8 weeks old and have been together for 6 years now.

2. Both dogs have always lived in the same house with a fenced yard and a doggy door for access.

3. Both dogs are well cared for and are regularly exercised.

4. The owners were married and split up 8 months ago. The person that left now wishes to split up the dogs (in 5 months) and put one of them in a condo with no access to a yard for 8-10 hours alone per day.

5. Neither dog has *ever* been alone in their entire lives.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sounds like an absolutely horrible plan to me. The person who wants to split them up and leave one alone for several hours a day needs to think of the welfare of the dog instead of their own selfish desires. Why do they want to do this after 8 months?

·
Susan
4,063 Posts
Sounds like a bad plan to me. While dogs can and do adjust to new living arrangements, a dog that has always had a companion, and always had access to a doggy door and suddenly doesn't have either one anymore may have problems. There may be some separation anxiety and the dog may potty in the house since he or she is used to free access to the outside and is now stuck inside.

Those kinds of changes in a dogs life take time to work on. It can be done (rescue dogs are rehomed every day and for the most part, very successfully) but the doggie door issue may cause a bigger problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like an absolutely horrible plan to me. The person who wants to split them up and leave one alone for several hours a day needs to think of the welfare of the dog instead of their own selfish desires. Why do they want to do this after 8 months?
This person misses the dogs and wants to keep one of them even though they have been apart for 8 months already. And believes the dog will be just fine and doesn't foresee any problems.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,653 Posts
I agree with all the people who said that if this person truly cares about the dog, s/he will not split them up.

·
Starr
1,227 Posts
How about if they work out a shared parenting arrangement?

Of course, the condo person should either arrange for a dog walker or doggie daycare so the dogs would not be alone without activity and access to acceptable pottying.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Although it is does not sound ideal, this does not mean it can't work. I hope if they go through with the plan they do it on a trial with the maturity to put their egos aside if it does not work. Sometimes when dogs who have been together for years part they both thrive and open up in different ways. Some even like the change and getting all of the attention from their human. Yes, there will be adjustments.

·
LINDA
6,496 Posts
Not only would a person who truly loved her dogs not split them up, but they would never place them in a home where they were left alone 10-12 hrs a day! These dogs are bred to be with people and it is cruel to leave them alone. I know these people are getting a divorce but take the time to do what's right for the dogs. Please have them contact Havanese Rescue so that they can place these furkids in the proper home.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bad idea IMHO. When we got Candy from the breeder she was 4 years old and had always been with other dogs. Came to our house as an only dog. We got MoJo 4 months later because she was getting so depressed (and my DH is retired, at home, all the time). As DH says "we got a pet for the pet". Our dogs are really upset if one goes away for an hour or so. I can't imaging keeping each alone - and the one truly alone for that length of time. I agree with the others - I don't think this is a good idea for either dog.

·
Gucci's mom
9,378 Posts
This is really sad :( I would think it would be very hard for the dogs to not only lose one of their owners, but then the other dog companion whom they've always been with. This situation may end up with both dogs depressed and anxiety ridden. Hard to predict how things will evolve,but I hope the dogs' best interest is a priority in the decision making process.

Kara

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Don't split them up. Try to work out some kind of custody arrangement just like you would do if they were your human kids.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I agree with what's been posted.....if it was children involved they would have to share custody...they wouldn't split them up and each take a child lol well at least I hope they wouldn't do that! Who really knows what would happen...the dogs may be fine or they may not...but if you really love your furbabies do you really want to take a chance that they may not?

Let us know how this turns out.

Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
The person that wants the dog to keep in a condo?? Have them contact a breeder and see if he/she can buy a new puppy -- That'll tell the tale....

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
I can understand the feeling of the partner who has moved into the condo and out of the home with the dogs he/she has loved all these years. However, sometimes we have to act in the best interest of someone we love, even if it doesn't coincide with our own needs.

·
Pepper's mom
1,329 Posts
I'm sure it could be done, but the condo dweller MUST be on board to do whatever the dog needs to adapt successfully to his/her new home. It isn't right to set the dog up to fail by not committing to helping it settle in happily. It would already be losing it's lifelong housemate. Leaving it alone for 8-10 hours a day is just mean if it can be avoided.

Would the person consider adopting a new dog that HAS to adapt to a new home, instead of forcing one that already has a home, and family, it's accustomed to?

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
wow, that would be so hard on the dogs... this person needs to look at things through the dogs eyes... they didn't get the divorce, just like children, THEY didn't DO anything wrong to cause this, so why should they be the ones to sacrifice all they've ever known?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts