Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Member (Teresa)
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn’t directly related to Havanese but I also know this forum is brimming with knowledge. It’s not my intention to descend into histrionics or engage in self perpetuating chaos. I would genuinely appreciate feedback though.
About 2 ½ weeks ago I noticed a rash at the ankle area of my left foot. I ignored it. With 30 years of chronic pain behind me, I just don't pay attention to anything minor or moderate. It never amounts to anything and if I get tests, they're always negative. Two days later it felt sore and sensitive. The day after that it became more difficult to walk. Then every day I woke up my leg was more inflamed and bright red which then became deeper and more dark purple by the day. The day I could not walk or stand was my first trip to the ER. Five days later I went for the 2nd time because this “rash” was rapidly devouring my leg. I was too dizzy to even sit up without wanting to vomit and pass out. Every CT scan, blood test, urine culture and x-ray was negative. I was sent home and told to call a dermatologist Monday Morning.
I saw the dermatologist yesterday. I was reluctant to mention the timing coinciding with my vaccines since it was dismissed at the ER. I received the opposite response from the dermatologist. My rash is a bit different than the many he has seen so far and gave me paperwork to send in after my 3 biopsy samples come back. My left leg is so swollen he had to take a biopsy from my right. Hopefully that will work. I finally remembered that the first stage of this occurred after my first vaccine. I wasn’t able to get up and stand right away beginning 2-3 days after my 1st vaccine. Again, I just assumed it was related to chronic pain and was happy it didn’t last very long. Ed was the one who pointed out the onset relating to my first vaccine.
I started steroids (for 2 weeks only) this morning. The colors of my legs are nauseating. My right leg is quickly catching up with the left. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain but I might have to use a little from my prescription before the biopsy results come in. Not even Ondansetron can touch my nausea. The intensity of my need to gasp for air every time I move comes and goes. I'm completely bedridden and depend on Ed to get me to the bathroom. I have to give him a shout out because without him I would need temporary care in a nursing home setting. He’s never complained and keeps insisting he’s fine and I'm not hurting him. I'm glad I never made fun of his VR headset that he works out with every day, without fail. He’s in his mid 50’s and average height, but packs a lot of energy in those muscles! 130 pounds of basically dead weight is no easy task. I have to just grab around his shoulders and go limp. We have a wheelchair but my upper body is really sore so it's easier to have Ed do it for now.
Yes, this eventually relates to Havanese. Some people already think I'm a basket case but my babies are what have kept me sane. Last week I started trying to groom Jodie on the couch and it didn’t go well. I just broke into tears every time because I don't want to shave her. The grooming routine I use leaves her feeling like liquid silk. Cotton’s hair is like luxurious satin and Jodie's is up a notch from that. It’s comforting and therapeutic. Here comes Ed again. Sunday he shampooed Jodie twice and 3 times on her paws and conditioned her pretty well. Then he continued with the drying process with no help from me. That's no easy feat with a long coat Havanese. I burst into tears again but that time they were very happy tears!
For anyone who has actually read this far, thank you so much! I'm still a bit scared about being bedridden and trying to process everything rapidly. If anyone has had anything even slightly similar I would appreciate any kind of feedback. My cognitive processing is a bit fuzzy from all of this so I apologize if there's a lack of clarity in my post. In the meantime I'm going to continue to be grateful for Ed, Cotton and Jodie 🌹🦋

This is a close up of 2/3 of my calf for comparison, although in person it's much darker and the top 1/3 of my calf is darkish green and almost black.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Oh my goodness JaJa I am so sorry this is happening to you! I don’t know what else to say, other than it sounds like Ed is being a real hero😊. I hope you get some answers, help and relief very quickly😘. One last thing (and I am not medically trained AT ALL) but the green/black description sounds worrying. If this is a new development I think you should get yourself to hospital ASAP as it sounds like possible further infection, dying tissue. If not and the doctors have already seen it and were ok with it, or if I am misinterpreting things and it is bruising then please ignore and excuse my scaremongering. Xx

·
Member (Teresa)
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Flo, those are great questions which we presented to the dermatologist yesterday. All the tests so far have ruled out an infection. The dermatologist ordered antibiotics to have on reserve anyway in case it changes. My "hero" picked them up 5 minutes after they were ready. You're absolutely right, if anything changes I have to send pics and be ready to go to the ER again. My hero has already prepared a couple backpacks just is case. The doctor also said to have my hero lightly graze a sterilized needle in spots that feel fuzzy to me to make sure I have feeling on the surface. That is also something I have to report immediately.
You don't have to add a disclaimer to your post. It's not like you called me a moron-out loud anyway😋 I really appreciate your feedback, thank you!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Thank you Flo, those are great questions which we presented to the dermatologist yesterday. All the tests so far have ruled out an infection. The dermatologist ordered antibiotics to have on reserve anyway in case it changes. My "hero" picked them up 5 minutes after they were ready. You're absolutely right, if anything changes I have to send pics and be ready to go to the ER again. My hero has already prepared a couple backpacks just is case. The doctor also said to have my hero lightly graze a sterilized needle in spots that feel fuzzy to me to make sure I have feeling on the surface. That is also something I have to report immediately.
You don't have to add a disclaimer to your post. It's not like you called me a moron-out loud anyway😋 I really appreciate your feedback, thank you!
Sorry to hear about your medical issues. It reminds me of times my mother has gotten cellulitis. I hope they are able to find appropriate treatment so that you are back up and around soon.

·
Tucker 2007-2020
6,324 Posts
I have read of quite a lot of bad reactions due to the vaccines, some fatal, which are not being allowed on main stream news reports but are from legit, responsible sources. There are blood clots, severe inflammation to the vascular system, and heart issues. I would not be at all surprised to find this is in some way related to the vaccine.

·
Member (Teresa)
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear about your medical issues. It reminds me of times my mother has gotten cellulitis. I hope they are able to find appropriate treatment so that you are back up and around soon.
Thank you, cellulitis was the 2nd thing I was tested for. I assumed that's what it was since my cousin has had it 3 times. Then it was on to vasculitis because there was no infection. Our adult son has had vasculitis twice and our legs look completely different. Fortunately, his rashes were almost gone the next morning both times. Initionally, it was thought that I had hyponatremia. When my symptoms kept worsening I was immediately tested for clots via ultrasound and blood tests. Testing quickly graduated to more and more uncommon possibilities. No one is as concerned about how it looks as much as the issue that I can't take a step or even stand. That seems to be the part that has everyone stumped. No one has any idea why my tongue and mouth are burning either.
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Member (Teresa)
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have read of quite a lot of bad reactions due to the vaccines, some fatal, which are not being allowed on main stream news reports but are from legit, responsible sources. There are blood clots, severe inflammation to the vascular system, and heart issues. I would not be at all surprised to find this is in some way related to the vaccine.
oh yes, I forgot to mention that I've also had tests for heart issues which that can be related to vasculitis. Severe inflammation is why the biopsy sample had to be taken from my right leg. Luckily this not a life or death situation but a very odd one. It's also possible that I had an underlying condition was triggered to manifest more intensely via the vaccine. Thanks, it's nice to get all information in one place.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,954 Posts
Oh, Teresa, I am SO sorry!!!

I know that vaccine side effects are rare, but that DOESN'T mean that when they happen they cannot be severe. I assume this has been reported to the CDC?

I haven't seen anything exactly like that, but I DO know that after my DVT last year, I had residual and pretty severe swelling in that leg. My hematologist suggested that I try horse chestnut extract. He said the there were actual studies that showed that even though it was an "herbal" remedy, it DOES actually increase blood flow in the lower legs and reduce swelling. It obviously is not going to cure you, but you might want to run the idea by your doc, and if he thinks it is safe, considering what else is going on, give it a try. The amount of swelling ALONE has to be a large part of your discomfort!!!

Thank HEAVENS that you have such a good man as Ed by your side to help you at a time like this! 💗. Feel better SOON!!!

·
Member (Teresa)
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to clarify that I DO NOT REGRET getting my vaccines. It's just made it abundantly clear that I would have been far more likely to be in an ICU bed if I actually caught Covid. My doctor and I are just trying to put the pieces together to clarify what is currently happening. The near future isn't certain be he believes that I will be able to walk again unassisted at some point.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,318 Posts
Wow JaJa...this is so horrid!!! As far as vaccine reactions, I had a flu shot many years ago and shortly after that my left vocal cord became paralyzed. I could not speak at all because the vocal cord became paralyzed in the most outward position and therefore could not come in contact with the other. If it was paralyzed in a more inward position then I would have been able to talk in a breathy voice. Anyway, I went to many doctors who could not figure out the cause but one of them said he was fairly certain it was a reaction to the flu shot, sort of like Guillian Barre syndrome which is more common. Of course nothing can be proven. However, I will never ever get another vaccine for anything. Bad reactions are most likely rare but do occur and are very under reported.

I hope you get well soon. As far as dog grooming, if it makes you, your husband and the dog’s lives easier to keep them shorter for awhile I would go for it. Hair grows and you do not need stress. Yikes...the thought of my husband grooming my dogs stresses me out! Sounds like Ed is doing a great job though.

Note my voice came back after six months. Otherwise, there is a surgery they can do.

·
Member (Teresa)
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, Teresa, I am SO sorry!!!

I know that vaccine side effects are rare, but that DOESN'T mean that when they happen they cannot be severe. I assume this has been reported to the CDC?

I haven't seen anything exactly like that, but I DO know that after my DVT last year, I had residual and pretty severe swelling in that leg. My hematologist suggested that I try horse chestnut extract. He said the there were actual studies that showed that even though it was an "herbal" remedy, it DOES actually increase blood flow in the lower legs and reduce swelling. It obviously is not going to cure you, but you might want to run the idea by your doc, and if he thinks it is safe, considering what else is going on, give it a try. The amount of swelling ALONE has to be a large part of your discomfort!!!

Thank HEAVENS that you have such a good man as Ed by your side to help you at a time like this! 💗. Feel better SOON!!!

·
Member (Teresa)
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ty Karen, I actually know what horse chestnut is. A friend of mine was taking it, when she moved a few years ago, for swelling with her allergies. However, that's a huge rabbit hole for the last 3 decades trying to figure out my digestive issues/pain. I just eat the same thing every day and I'm fine. Unfortunately I've had pretty intense reactions to every herb and spice I've ever tried. Every time I asked my mom if she was freebasing cocaine during her pregnancy she told me to run and run fast😆
I was actually surpraised when the doctor asked if I had taken any homeopathic remedies that were beneficial. That's why he said I had to just get a temporary prescription of steroids to get the swelling down asap. I refer to all the intense bruising as a subcutaneous war with my legs as causalities. He liked my rendition but asked if meditation at home was a possibility. Of course, I just need to access my inner hippy dippy side. He seemed to think that me referring to Ed as a god was a good thing for healing and in general. For the sake of offending anyone, I said "a" god not "the" God😋

·
Member (Teresa)
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow JaJa...this is so horrid!!! As far as vaccine reactions, I had a flu shot many years ago and shortly after that my left vocal cord became paralyzed. I could not speak at all because the vocal cord became paralyzed in the most outward position and therefore could not come in contact with the other. If it was paralyzed in a more inward position then I would have been able to talk in a breathy voice. Anyway, I went to many doctors who could not figure out the cause but one of them said he was fairly certain it was a reaction to the flu shot, sort of like Guillian Barre syndrome which is more common. Of course nothing can be proven. However, I will never ever get another vaccine for anything. Bad reactions are most likely rare but do occur and are very under reported.

I hope you get well soon. As far as dog grooming, if it makes you, your husband and the dog’s lives easier to keep them shorter for awhile I would go for it. Hair grows and you do not need stress. Yikes...the thought of my husband grooming my dogs stresses me out! Sounds like Ed is doing a great job though.

Note my voice came back after six months. Otherwise, there is a surgery they can do.
Yikes, that's a pretty significant reaction! I'm glad you got your voice back. Reading other stories is helpful for me to stay as calm as I can. This is quite the bizarre experience but I'm not going drop dead at any moment. Ironically, I had no reaction from my flu shot, even Ed was sick for a day. It's been the opposite this time. Actually, I was ready to clip Jodie as I have much more than I need to be an at home groomer. Ed asked me if he could try bathing and drying Jodie first since if he did a terrible job the outcome of getting clipped was the same. Oh my gosh did he step it up! He took copious notes, did everything in the family room where I'm bedridden, and took time to review each step with me before he moved on. What a great time to have a hyper focused enegineer/supervisor/tech blah blah blah on hand! We gave it a try and it actually worked. Later Ed said that after 15 months of working at home he realized at a deep level just how much joy I obtained, from regular grooming each day, and what it did for my happiness meter. He thinks he can't do anything to help me heal even though he is. So in line with annoying optimism (Annie), I have immense gratitude for this experience with my hero. Thank you for the post Mudpuppymama!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just adding my support, JaJa! Your positivity is so uplifting! At first my heart was sinking reading about everything you’re going through! Then as you began describing your Ed, all he’s been doing for you, your fur babies, and finding some relief with grooming as well reading the forum, welp, all I can say is you really are a wonderful example of the unsinkable human spirit! Sending healing & happy vibes your way! 💗 Please keep us posted!

·
Member (Teresa)
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just adding my support, JaJa! Your positivity is so uplifting! At first my heart was sinking reading about everything you’re going through! Then as you began describing your Ed, all he’s been doing for you, your fur babies, and finding some relief with grooming as well reading the forum, welp, all I can say is you really are a wonderful example of the unsinkable human spirit! Sending healing & happy vibes your way! 💗 Please keep us posted!
Oh my goodness LeleRF, you went and made my eyes tear up. You are so incredibly sweet, thank you 💜 Healing and happy vibes are just wonderful. I think that's why I was so drawn to the Havanese unsinkable spirit. JoJo sure gave it his all! I will continue with updates🦋

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh my goodness LeleRF, you went and made my eyes tear up. You are so incredibly sweet, thank you 💜 Healing and happy vibes are just wonderful. I think that's why I was so drawn to the Havanese unsinkable spirit. JoJo sure gave it his all! I will continue with updates🦋
Awww 🙏☺😘.

You know, I think you are on to something there with the Havanese spirit AND their humans! I hadn’t quite made that connection but now that you say that, since I’ve joined this forum, I’ve been quite impressed (and sometimes even enthralled) with the genuineness & integrity of the members. Hmmm, perhaps there’s some special magical Mojo there connecting Havi’s and owners.... 🤔 🪄

·
Registered
397 Posts
I haven’t heard the word “moron“ in ages but this is the second time I’ve heard it in 16 hours…I do hope the universe isn’t trying to tell me something🤣🤣
I want to clarify that I DO NOT REGRET getting my vaccines. It's just made it abundantly clear that I would have been far more likely to be in an ICU bed if I actually caught Covid. My doctor and I are just trying to put the pieces together to clarify what is currently happening. The near future isn't certain be he believes that I will be able to walk again unassisted at some point.
THIS⬆ is exactly how I feel about Covid vaccines too. I think with any reactions you get to it you’re most likely between a rock and a hard place, where I feel people who do have a severe reaction would be the ones who become the most ill if they had caught actual Covid instead. I am not a scientist /doctor (yes another disclaimer alert🤣) it’s just my gut feeling. Speaking of gut feelings, I wonder if your digestive issues are autoimmune related and that is also what has triggered this reaction JaJa. Either way I am sorry that such a nice lady like you is having to endure this, and I pray you have a speedy recovery❤‍🩹

1 - 20 of 26 Posts