Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shadow has always had weird pooping issues. Pooping 8 times a day. He got quite sick almost 2 years ago with diahrea
and vomiting. It took almost 2 months for him to get better. So I am always careful with him, he eats the same food for almost 2 years and nothing else until a month ago. I started to give him 1/4 of a treat, Blue A Apple and Yogurt once a day.

Since the change in diet, his pooping has been reduced to maybe 4X/day. A few days ago, it went down to 2X/day. So yesterday morning, it looked like maybe there could be some blood mixed in his very solid poop. Today, when we walked this morning, it was the same as yesterdays. Then he pooped again, straining and a few more small pieces came out with definite blood.

I called the vet this afternoon, they said to stop the treats and see if the blood clears up over a few days. Maybe bring a sample in to check for parasites sooner. Anyhow, he has not pooped since this morning's poop, eating(no treats) but I am so scared. He is only 5.5yrs. Can anyone talk me down? Any words of wisdom?

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
If the poop was normal in consistency, and the blood was red, it is probably not anything very serious. Bloody diarrhea is cause for an immediate trip to the vet, and black, tarry stools can be a sign of problems up higher in the intestines in both people and dogs. But I would agree with your vet… take a deep breath, stop the treats and give it a day or two.

• Helpful
Reactions: Celt

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the poop was normal in consistency, and the blood was red, it is probably not anything very serious. Bloody diarrhea is cause for an immediate trip to the vet, and black, tarry stools can be a sign of problems up higher in the intestines in both people and dogs. But I would agree with your vet… take a deep breath, stop the treats and give it a day or two.
Thanks, Karen. I do need to take a deep breath. It was definitely not black or even close. He seems a little subdued. I think he can tell that I am nervous and upset over something.
PS If something happens to Shadow, can I have Ducky?

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,578 Posts
Thanks, Karen. I do need to take a deep breath. It was definitely not black or even close. He seems a little subdued. I think he can tell that I am nervous and upset over something.
Sorry to hear about shadow. How is his behavior, energy, appetite and mood? If he is subdued, I assume energy is down a bit. What about the others?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He seems like normal, eating, had a nice visit with his best friend this afternoon. We went for walk with his friend who came over because of Shadow's problem. Shadow was as crazy as ever with Bandit.
I notice that he is not following me as much as usual. He has been "scooting" a few times in the last couple weeks and a couple of times, he sat to eat his food. I wonder if it might be a gland problem. I can't feel anything odd though.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
LOL! No, you can’t have Ducky, but there could be Ducklings in the future! LOL!

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,578 Posts
He seems like normal, eating, had a nice visit with his best friend this afternoon. We went for walk with his friend who came over because of Shadow's problem. Shadow was as crazy as ever with Bandit.
I notice that he is not following me as much as usual. He has been "scooting" a few times in the last couple weeks and a couple of times, he sat to eat his food. I wonder if it might be a gland problem. I can't feel anything odd though.
Good observations. The anal glands may be worth checking out if he keeps up the scooting.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Little Ducky is going to loose his innocence? It feels like he was born yesterday. Is it going to be soon?
Not until the spring, but he will have a couple of litters next year. His prelim hip xrays went to OFA yesterday!

• Love
Reactions: Sheri and LWalks

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update. This is day 3 of blood in the poop. I stopped the treats now for 2 days. No blood in the poop today(2 poops). I decided to throw the rest of the Blue Health Bars in the trash but keep the empty bag for future reference. So I was reading the ingredients. They have chicken meal in them. Shadow has had issues with chicken in the past and I avoid it like the plague.
I wonder if the treats were the culprit. I am feeling very guilty about this. It is totally my fault.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,578 Posts
Update. This is day 3 of blood in the poop. I stopped the treats now for 2 days. No blood in the poop today(2 poops). I decided to throw the rest of the Blue Health Bars in the trash but keep the empty bag for future reference. So I was reading the ingredients. They have chicken meal in them. Shadow has had issues with chicken in the past and I avoid it like the plague.
I wonder if the treats were the culprit. I am feeling very guilty about this. It is totally my fault.
Don’t blame yourself! Glad you find the root cause of the problem and that Shadow is doing better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You were just trying to do right by your dog. Don't rake yourself over the coals. I hope Shadow keeps improving and may you both have a blessed day.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone for your kind words. Today, 2 poops, no blood.
Looking at Amazon's website, I realize how this happened. I was going to get the Banana ones(no chicken in ingredients), and somehow ordered the Apple. It says in big letters "no chicken, no wheat, no soy" on the website. I read all of the Q&A, and everyone said there was no chicken. Well, maybe in some of the flavors but the Apple does. I should check and double check and then read the stupid bag. I really do know better.
I'm going to call it a "senior moment" and try to forget about it.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Thank you everyone for your kind words. Today, 2 poops, no blood.
Looking at Amazon's website, I realize how this happened. I was going to get the Banana ones(no chicken in ingredients), and somehow ordered the Apple. It says in big letters "no chicken, no wheat, no soy" on the website. I read all of the Q&A, and everyone said there was no chicken. Well, maybe in some of the flavors but the Apple does. I should check and double check and then read the stupid bag. I really do know better.
I'm going to call it a "senior moment" and try to forget about it.
For Issac’s elimination diet I chose rabbit as the novel protein. So many foods/treats advertised as rabbit had other animal proteins listed in the ingredient list but non of the advertising language let me know that. I bought a couple early on that I couldn’t use because they contained pork which he had been exposed to or fish oil which seemed to make his itching worse. When different ingredients are included in the product the manufacturer should be required to list it clearly on the main part of the packaging not just in the tiny print ingredient list! I am glad Shadow is doing better.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
For Issac’s elimination diet I chose rabbit as the novel protein. So many foods/treats advertised as rabbit had other animal proteins listed in the ingredient list but non of the advertising language let me know that. I bought a couple early on that I couldn’t use because they contained pork which he had been exposed to or fish oil which seemed to make his itching worse. When different ingredients are included in the product the manufacturer should be required to list it clearly on the main part of the packaging not just in the tiny print ingredient list! I am glad Shadow is doing better.
Fish is one of Kodi’s WORST allergy problems and fish oil is in EVERYTHING for dogs!!! I have to be SOOOO careful!!!

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,578 Posts
I always use single ingredient treats without additives or preservatives. Here is what is in the Blue Buffalo Apple and Yogurt treats. Yikes…a laundry list of potential triggers. For anyone trying to do an elimination diet of any kind, a treat with tons of ingredients is going to muddy the waters.

Ingredients
Oatmeal, Oat Flour, Barley, Rye, Chicken Meal, Apples, Yogurt, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed (Source Of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Carrots, Oat Fiber, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Cinnamon, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source Of Vitamin C), Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols, Oil Of Rosemary, Vitamin E Supplement.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,578 Posts
I ended up using only freeze-dried rabbit treats but even with those some contained non-rabbit ingredients.
It is very difficult to find single ingredient treats. Very important to read the labels. I have been getting some treats from Farm and Hounds. i feel they are a trustworthy company and they do have single ingredient treats. I personally do not use treats from the big major companies. I will make my own if need be.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I may have to start marking my own treats. I just want to give him something special once a day when I go out and he goes to his crate. He was a big separation anxiety dog when I got him. He seems to have gone backwards recently so I wanted to show him that it wasn't all bad being left alone. A special treat once a day. He seemed so happy to get something different.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I may have to start marking my own treats. I just want to give him something special once a day when I go out and he goes to his crate. He was a big separation anxiety dog when I got him. He seems to have gone backwards recently so I wanted to show him that it wasn't all bad being left alone. A special treat once a day. He seemed so happy to get something different.
I can PM you a recipe from Enzo's breeder for liver treats. Beef liver should work, though I usually make it with chicken liver. Depends on what other problems he may have with food though, since they do contain some grain.
I also recommend looking into Ziwi's air dried food - many dogs find it delicious and rewarding to eat as a treat (their treats are literally the same product just in a smaller bag and more expensive).
Alternatives would be freeze-dried raw treats (depending on how you feel about giving raw food). They are usually single ingredient. It's possible to make freeze-dried treats yourself, too, if you feel more comfortable with that, but I believe the process can take up to 2 weeks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts