Havanese Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
If the poop was normal in consistency, and the blood was red, it is probably not anything very serious. Bloody diarrhea is cause for an immediate trip to the vet, and black, tarry stools can be a sign of problems up higher in the intestines in both people and dogs. But I would agree with your vet… take a deep breath, stop the treats and give it a day or two.

• Helpful
Reactions: Celt

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
Thanks, Karen. I do need to take a deep breath. It was definitely not black or even close. He seems a little subdued. I think he can tell that I am nervous and upset over something.
PS If something happens to Shadow, can I have Ducky?
LOL! No, you can’t have Ducky, but there could be Ducklings in the future! LOL!

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
Little Ducky is going to loose his innocence? It feels like he was born yesterday. Is it going to be soon?
Not until the spring, but he will have a couple of litters next year. His prelim hip xrays went to OFA yesterday!

• Love
Reactions: Sheri and LWalks

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
For Issac’s elimination diet I chose rabbit as the novel protein. So many foods/treats advertised as rabbit had other animal proteins listed in the ingredient list but non of the advertising language let me know that. I bought a couple early on that I couldn’t use because they contained pork which he had been exposed to or fish oil which seemed to make his itching worse. When different ingredients are included in the product the manufacturer should be required to list it clearly on the main part of the packaging not just in the tiny print ingredient list! I am glad Shadow is doing better.
Fish is one of Kodi’s WORST allergy problems and fish oil is in EVERYTHING for dogs!!! I have to be SOOOO careful!!!

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
I always use single ingredient treats without additives or preservatives. Here is what is in the Blue Buffalo Apple and Yogurt treats. Yikes…a laundry list of potential triggers. For anyone trying to do an elimination diet of any kind, a treat with tons of ingredients is going to muddy the waters.

Ingredients
Oatmeal, Oat Flour, Barley, Rye, Chicken Meal, Apples, Yogurt, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed (Source Of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Carrots, Oat Fiber, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Cinnamon, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source Of Vitamin C), Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols, Oil Of Rosemary, Vitamin E Supplement.
And those really aren’t as bad as many!!!

Reactions: mudpuppymama

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
I am sure there are worse…but there is not one ingredient in there I would feel comfortable feeding…and then there is the way it is processed! I think treats can be a challenge.
Which is why I largely feed whole meats… the same ones that we eat, and I just cube the left-overs. And you know, because of all the training we do, I use a LOT of treats!

Reactions: mudpuppymama

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
Plain old meat is great. I either make mine or I buy freeze dried or dehydrated single ingredient meat treats. I use dehydrated lung meat alot for treats. It is softer…loaded with glucosamine too. I am not a fan of liver for treats unless someone considers what else is in the diet. Liver is high in copper and vitamin A.
No liver here ‘cause WE don’t eat it! LOL!

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
No liver or raw but thank you for the ideas.
I was thinking of something like banana, oatmeal and yogurt bars. I'm going to search for a recipe that is easy with very basic ingredients.
If you have a dehydrator (they are inexpensive) you can just make banana chips and skip the other ingredients completely if you want.

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
I don't have one. To be honest, I am not even sure what they do. But I will investigate this when I get over this situation and make sure that Shadow is really 100% better before I start on another disaster.
They are machines that just air dry what ever you put in them… handy for making dog treats. A friend of mine picked one up at a yard sale, and we trade it off as needed. But that is more just because it’s convenient for us. You can get them for $40 on Amazon:

Reactions: Tere
1 - 9 of 9 Posts