Havanese Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
My dogs go absolutely nuts for roasted beef lung tips. I use them for high value training treats. They're single ingredient. The ones I get are by Butcher's Block and I buy from my local Holllywood Feed store but they're available elsewhere.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
I always use single ingredient treats without additives or preservatives. Here is what is in the Blue Buffalo Apple and Yogurt treats. Yikes…a laundry list of potential triggers. For anyone trying to do an elimination diet of any kind, a treat with tons of ingredients is going to muddy the waters.

Ingredients
Oatmeal, Oat Flour, Barley, Rye, Chicken Meal, Apples, Yogurt, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed (Source Of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Carrots, Oat Fiber, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Cinnamon, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source Of Vitamin C), Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols, Oil Of Rosemary, Vitamin E Supplement.
And those really aren’t as bad as many!!!

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
I am sure there are worse…but there is not one ingredient in there I would feel comfortable feeding…and then there is the way it is processed! I think treats can be a challenge.
Which is why I largely feed whole meats… the same ones that we eat, and I just cube the left-overs. And you know, because of all the training we do, I use a LOT of treats!

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,591 Posts
Which is why I largely feed whole meats… the same ones that we eat, and I just cube the left-overs. And you know, because of all the training we do, I use a LOT of treats!
Plain old meat is great. I either make mine or I buy freeze dried or dehydrated single ingredient meat treats. I use dehydrated lung meat alot for treats. It is softer…loaded with glucosamine too. I am not a fan of liver for treats unless someone considers what else is in the diet. Liver is high in copper and vitamin A.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
Plain old meat is great. I either make mine or I buy freeze dried or dehydrated single ingredient meat treats. I use dehydrated lung meat alot for treats. It is softer…loaded with glucosamine too. I am not a fan of liver for treats unless someone considers what else is in the diet. Liver is high in copper and vitamin A.
No liver here ‘cause WE don’t eat it! LOL!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
No liver or raw but thank you for the ideas.
I was thinking of something like banana, oatmeal and yogurt bars. I'm going to search for a recipe that is easy with very basic ingredients.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,591 Posts
I was thinking of something like banana, oatmeal and yogurt bars. I'm going to search for a recipe that is easy with very basic ingredients.
@krandall and I were talking about cooked meat…not raw treats. If your dog can handle carbs then these types of food could work, however my dogs eat zero carbs.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,591 Posts
@krandall and I were talking about cooked meat…not raw treats. If your dog can handle carbs then these types of food could work, however my dogs eat zero carbs.
Just wanted to clarify...I did mention dehydrated and freeze dried. Freeze dried is considered raw but dehydrated is cooked at low temps. However, I have just made my own cooked meat treats in the oven.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
If you have a dehydrator (they are inexpensive) you can just make banana chips and skip the other ingredients completely if you want.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I don't have one. To be honest, I am not even sure what they do. But I will investigate this when I get over this situation and make sure that Shadow is really 100% better before I start on another disaster.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
I don't have one. To be honest, I am not even sure what they do. But I will investigate this when I get over this situation and make sure that Shadow is really 100% better before I start on another disaster.
They are machines that just air dry what ever you put in them… handy for making dog treats. A friend of mine picked one up at a yard sale, and we trade it off as needed. But that is more just because it’s convenient for us. You can get them for $40 on Amazon:

Reactions: Tere

·
Laura
219 Posts
My guys think the definition of treat is meat. 😝 I buy high quality hot dogs. Dice on into tiny pieces, place on paper towels, cover with same, nuke for a couple minutes. This gets the oil off so you can handle them without getting yucky. (Also good if weight is an issue). 1 hot dog lasts for a whole training class. I also buy freeze dried beef liver, one great brand is Brandi’s Crumps. They’re Canadian, use no additives, preservatives, or color and their “Mini Trainers” are tiny! I can just stick these in my coat pocket. (They sell direct or u can buy on Amazon.) No smell or residue. String cheese is also a big hit. I dice a stick up just like a hot dog. Sometimes make a mix of the two. This keeps well in a baggie in the frig for days.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts