Votes: 30 19.2%
  • Yes if from approved Breeders

Votes: 63 40.4%
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I had not decided was a good thing or a bad thing.
SOOOO I thought we would all decide. The good thing about a poll, is you can
vote anonymously. There are pros and cons.

I do not want it to turn into a puppy farm forum. I dont want people calling me saying "I met a breeder on your forum and she sent me a Hav but it looks like a cat". Since membership is free I dont want backyard breeders registering and trying to push their puppies.

However sometimes it can be a good thing, as you can find a home for special situations like Rumba, or one that was returned. Someone may log on and see....heaven forbid... an "older" puppy, and fall in love!

So if yes, do you let anyone advertise? And if not, how do you determine who can and who cant?

What is everyones opinion on this? If everyone thinks its a good thing, it will get its own section and wont pop up on the most recent threads on the home page. I dont want it flooded with that looking like a pet shop.

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, Im cutting this off tomorrow, and Im going with my gut.
I say so far, no dogs advertised. I cant see any good coming of it.

I have tried to weigh all the options. If there is truely a special case of a dog needing a home, Im going to think of it as a rescue situation. The Havanese Rescue can have all the sections they want. As long as a dog is for sale, and at a premium price, you are on your own. This is for one reason. I want the forum to be a place of learning and sharing. Not a marketplace.

When I was looking for a Havanese, it was tough. I could find lots of websites of some breeders, but no "real" information. I want this forum to be full of information and pictures for potential buyers. I want them to be able to research threads, and read the good, bad and ugly to see if they really want this breed. Then, they can find a breeder like I did. I was referred to the HCA breeders referral. I think people should go through their local club, and find the right breeder, not the right dog.
The dog will come, they are all great, but the breeders are not always so.
SO find a breeder you trust, then find a dog.
That can not be accomplished by seeing a cutie pututie advertised here.

G

·
And...HCA does offer breeder referral!! They can also contact local clubs and attend shows in their area so they can meet local breeders.

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
I have mix feeling on this topic only because I had a very hard time finding a breeder in my area the only way I think I would is do a referrel to the HCA site and to AKC site but for saling dog here I dont think that is a good Idea.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
I agree completely. Here in Canada they have the Havanese Fanciers of Canada website and there is where I found my breeder. I think sites like the HFA and HCA are a must for anyone looking for a reputable breeder. Here, Here to rescue dogs and puppies!!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I agree no puppies for sale. To find a good breeder you can go to the local Havanese club and do a lot of research. I am in favor for a link for rescues for people who want to post a Havanese they came upon through Petfinder or Lone Star. :) :)I was a little disappointed that the national club didn't show pictures and story lines for ones that are available. Maybe they are just developing it or are short resources.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I agree!! Everyone should keep in mind that local shelters sometimes get Havanese in and have them for adoption. We have had two in are area alone in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well I am going to play the devils advocate here and I am going to say I would like to see breeders names here on this site .
I do not know why you are so reluctant . I had such difficulty finding a reputable breeder when I wanted to find a dog - both times . It was frustrating ,hard and stressful ..
I am reluctant to buy a dog out of an advertisement in the paper . I certainly would never buy one from a pet shop . ? How are we supposed to find quality breeders then .. Yes for a first time buyer you can go on the Havanese site or dog finder or whatever site but you have no idea about these breeders . It is like rolling dice .
You can look in Dog FAncy but I have no idea who these people are and anyone can have a nice picture taken of their dogs ..
When my dog ASta died I did not need to know about the havanese Breed . I knew all about the breed ..
I was in deeply depressed and in pain and my husband and I were in mourning and we wanted to find a new puppy and bright light as soon as possible and I wanted to buy from a reputable breeder . I did not want breeding problems . I knew what to look for but the breeder I used was no longer in the breeding business .
? How was I to find a puppy I have never seen any of you breeders who log on here anywhere on the web until I found this site .
I did not know there were that many new breeders in Ca . I went a very long distance to find my puppy .. I did the best I could under the circumstances . I found someone who was compassonate and willing to place a puppy with me ..
I do not understand your reluctance but everyone is entitled to an opinion and to run their business the way they want ...
I would think you would like to find good homes for your puppies and dogs and I am quite impressed with the people who take the time to share their stories and experiences with us on this site ..

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I just saw this thread pop up again and needed to add my 2 cents. I don't think it would be a bad idea, but it will need some kind of monitoring. I got an email last night from the woman selling the "mini" havs and it's a good thing I have the necessary info on her.

Maybe we can set up our own questionnaire for the breeders, something similar to what they require us to fill out. We can ask very pointed questions and then we can have them advertise.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
I try real hard not to word what I say here as an advertisement but really it's as simple as getting the Breeder Referral list from the HCA

www.havanese.org

or contacting your regional Havanese Club which are also linked from the HCA site under the link to the left for "local clubs".

These breeders will help you find a dog even if they don't have one themselves.

If you can't find a puppy from a reputable breeder near you available today, sorry but this is the place to start. There are hundreds available from backyard breeders, pet stores, and puppymills but is the reward for getting one quickly worth the increased risk of problems? Waiting times from reputable breeders are not nearly what they once were.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It seems to me that you are happy with things the way the are on this site . Unfortunately I was not aware of the Havanese org. maybe because I was trying to get over a terrible tragedy I was not thinking too clearly ....
A lot has changed in the past five years and I never thought I would be looking for another dog ..
I just thought it might be helpful ..

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My thinking is if people come here, then they will read to go to the Havanese.org site. So just as easy as them reading breeders names, they will read the right steps to take. Hoenstly my biggest hesitation comes from
thinking of the worst possible scenario. And some people will take advantage if we let breeders advertise. So I have to think ok, what could happen...if a person like so and so gets on here. It would take constant moderation and verifying what Breeders state as fact, which would be so tough.

Don't take it personal at all, and things are always open for discussion and change. I just would like to keep it as friendly and non political as possible.

:D

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Maybe we can pin a 'stickie' up at the top, for people looking to purchase a Havanese, with a resource list. (Hav.org, Heart, etc)

I would personally also like to see a general list of question's posted with it, to help buyer's get off to the right start.

I can see where it would be nice to have a list here of respectable breeder's, but I can't imagine the headache it would bring for Melissa. I know we've already had two people try to 'spam' here.. who knows how many more.

Not to mention, that if someone finds this board, they are always more than welcome to post a question on the general forum, and ask about breeders. (we already see that now)

Just my .02

·
Registered
305 Posts
I try real hard not to word what I say here as an advertisement but really it's as simple as getting the Breeder Referral list from the HCA

www.havanese.org

or contacting your regional Havanese Club which are also linked from the HCA site under the link to the left for "local clubs".

These breeders will help you find a dog even if they don't have one themselves.

If you can't find a puppy from a reputable breeder near you available today, sorry but this is the place to start. There are hundreds available from backyard breeders, pet stores, and puppymills but is the reward for getting one quickly worth the increased risk of problems? Waiting times from reputable breeders are not nearly what they once were.
Good point(s) Tom. It can open a can of bad worms if breeders started using this site to post all of the pictures and such of available pups -- it could/would grow into a Puppyfind.com

One thing that may help both the breeders and buyers is to recognize the members that do breed along with their state they are located. It could be a nice resource for one to start looking for their local breeders. Just a thought :)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts