Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm looking for any and all info on getting started with showing. We did go to a match here in Alabama and I learned alot there. I have a feeling there is a lot more to learn. Trying to get ready for a local show here in Montgomery, AL. My breeder does think he's show-worthy, but she's out of town and can't really help. There is no one that I know of in Montgomery that shows Havanese. Our local show is Thanksgiving. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

G

·
Are handling classes offered in your area? That's a great way to connect with other owner/handlers and learn some tricks of the trade. I highly recommend the book, "Raising a Champion, A Beginner's Guide to Showing Dogs" by A. Meredith John. Also, "Tricks of the Trade, From Best Intentions to Best in Show" by Pat Hastings. Go to as many shows as you can and sit ringside and take notes too!!

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
I went to a show when I was deciding on showing Goldie. I watched and thought that is SO easy. How hard could it be..... Well a lot harder than it looks. I think classes would help out a lot. Do you have a Havanese club in Alabama? Someone there might be a great help also.

Are you planning on showing yourself? Ill think of some advice for the ring.
The important question is what kind of shoes will you wear?
:D

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
Yes that is so important the Shoe's hee hee Besides what kind of show are you looking for conformation, obedence agility , ect. It always looks easy HAHAHA until you get in there at the beginning but once you get the hang of it then and only then will it get easy HAHAHA

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We don't have a Havanese club in Alabama, but our Montgomery Kennel Club is offering a class. I'm going. Definitely planning on showing myself. Used to show horses, this has to be easier and less expensive. I'll go get one of those recommended books. Thanks. I would love specifics on showing Havanese, grooming, what kind of lead, tricks for keeping his hair out of his eyes. What do the judges look for in our breed? I'll definitely start thinking about the shoes. Don't they have to be black and somewhat matronly, sort a on the ugly side? Might be hard to find, even in Montgomery, AL. Thanks for y'all's help.

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
Does your pup know the basic commons ? I am not a professional but there are people here that are I would make sure my pup knows the basic common first Come stand stay ect. Do you know how to fine the shows in your area ? here is the supperintendents web site you can fine all the shows best to go to a few shows and see what it is all about first. Some shows do not want your dog there if he is not in the show so keep that in mind when you do go.Here is the site www.jbradshaw.com I plan on doing some basic training first on obedience classes first before any shows.I like to be safer than sorry .Iam sure people here will let you know too .

G

·
I use a kindness lead in a color that matches my Havanese. The Havanese are supposed to be shown as natural as is consistent with good grooming. Their hair doesn't usually stay back...silk naturally falls. I have a friend on the HCA Judges Ed Committee and she says if you've got hair falling in your face, you most likely have a correct coat!! There are people who use hairspray, and tease the hair back...but you're not supposed to do that. I wear 'flatter' shoes, heels are tough to work with in the ring. Do you have a copy of the Illustrated Standard? It's a great book and will show you what the Judges should be looking for.

G

·
I forgot to mention...it does help a bit to clip your dogs hair to the sides prior to entering the ring. I use the small pinch-style clips. You can also use grooming bands to secure the hair to the sides. Just remember to take the clips and/or bands out before you enter the ring :D

Also, Havanese can be shown with braids. We have won with braids before. Some Judges like the braids, some don't.

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
Thats some good information !!! To know. When you are new to the breed and showing you really dont know what is and what is not allowed. I will go out and get the book you mention thanks

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Tracey I would also get the book by Diane Klumb called The Havanese. It goes over the structure of the dog but it also goes over grooming.
Plus it has a ton of other information about Havanese.

Here is a link.
http://www.lulu.com/content/125066

One of the best things Susan taught me was, when you are out there, smile and act like you are having fun. Confidence is a great thing in the ring.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hi Tracey,
We have both horses and havanese. Havanese are easier to handle, just don't count it it being much less expensive to show them. LOL
As for the shoes, I don't know who started the black, matronly rule, but I'm all for breaking it! Bling Up The Ring!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is good information. Thank you. I'm thinking grooming tips are very important. I haven't looked yet, but is the "Illustrated Standard" in my local book store? Our pet stores don't have show leads. When I order one, can you give me a specific web site and kind to order. They have so many different kinds. Thanks. P.S. just kidding on the shoes. I wonder if there is a DVD out on showing for beginners. Does anybody know?

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Its hard to explain some things without being in the ring. Thats why its so great to meet people at shows and have mentors.
Joan gave me this book when I got Goldie and it was a great resource.
http://www.thewelltraineddog.com/

And yes I think grooming can make you or break you.
It broke me lots, hehe.

Here are the shoes I showed Stogie in at the Parade. I have my eye on a new pair that Dawna is going to buy me. :) I may have to enter him somewhere else so I can wear them.

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
Now those are dog showin' shoes!!! Love 'em!

Just so y'all know, if you ever have to buy Melissa shoes, you might have to get a second job.

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Here is a link to kindness leads.
I think "kindness" is the brand so you google it.

Kindness Leads

You may also want to get a grooming table. I think you can order them off of petedge, www.petedge.com They have a lot of stuff. Its hard to groom ringside on the floor.

Then you will need a good brush. Plush Puppy makes some really nice ones.

plush puppy

And a small hairdryer for when your dog poops on himself or throws up right before ring time and you have to wash him at the show. Its bound to happen.

What color is your dog?
You need to wear an opposite color of your dogs. SO if you have a black dog, you wouldnt wear black in the ring, you wouldnt be able to see the outline of his body.

You need clothes with pockets so you can put treats in them, otherwise it goes in your mouth. :D

And if you win dont leave the ring before you get ribbons. And dont forget to bring your winning dog back, HAHA.

G

·
I have ordered kindness leads from 3C's before. You can also buy them at Toy Dog shows and sometimes at All Breed shows. You can order the Illustrated Standard from Pam King. Send me a private message and I'll give you Pam's email addy.

Chris Christenson makes a wonderful brush...it's expensive, but worth it. The Plush Puppy brush is good too, I use both. Also, you can order a cheap detangler comb from PetEdge, it works wonders!!

Definitely get clothes with pockets, that is much easier than messing with a bait bag.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts